maple syrup? Really?

Options
jcmrax5
jcmrax5 Posts: 133
I found a Vegan recipe for pumpkin pie cookies (im not vegan- i just thought it might be a somewhat healthier option) and it calls for maple syrup but says "or sweetener of choice". Im not sure how the maple syrup would mix flavor wise with pumpkin so im iffy on trying it that way. but does "sweetener of choice" mean i can use stevia or something like that or does it need to be a liquid type sweetener? I guess im not sure if it calls for maple syrup because it helps hold things together better than sugar or the similar would or just because...

heres the recipe for anyone wandering. http://detoxinista.com/2012/09/pumpkin-pie-cookies-vegan-grain-free/

Replies

• Chelsarrr
    Chelsarrr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm a chef and a vegan, and here are my thoughts:

Maple syrup would be GREAT with pumpkin. I would stick with a liquid similar to maple syrup though...agave perhaps? But you could experiment with some dry sweeteners...I would add a couple tablespoons of water if you do though. The syrup is not holding the cookies together (the almond butter and pumpkin puree act as binders) but the liquid is important. Be careful with the stevia, it tastes so much sweeter.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I think they are using the maple syryup because you can get Pure Maple Syrup, which is pretty much bottle straight from the tree. The only processing they usually do it to strain it (personally I don't want tree bark on my pancakes lol). But the almond butter would be working as the binder I think. But most Pumpkin Pies have a smokey flavor to them, that might be what the maple syrup is there to create.
  • kbeardmore22
    kbeardmore22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I also would possibly substitute blue agave maple flavored syrup for the maple syrup. I bought some to go on my oatmeal and it
    really does taste and look like maple syrup, but has a lot less sugar:smile:
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I think the maple would go very well with pumpkin flavor and generally raw foodies and those trying to eat whole (unprocessed foods) will go for 100% pure maple over other sweeteners. Raw Blue Agave is also a good choice.