is fruit bad?!

Options
I've been eating a lot of fruit lately which means I end up going over my sugar for the day. Do I really need to be concerned about it since it's natural sugar & not processed? I love fruit as a snack & don't want to have to cut it out!!

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Nope it's only bad when you are allergic to it like me... :sad:
    Have some extra fruit for me lol :laugh:
  • Colossus882
    Colossus882 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it too much, be more concerned with the added sugar in processed stuff. Just be aware due to the natural sugar and carbs, fruit can be quite a bit higher in calories than a lot of people realize. Just log the calories, and enjoy the tasty fruit.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Fruit is not bad. Ignore MFP's sugar target. I don't even look at mine. I track calories, protein, carbs, fat, fiber.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    sugar is sugar, i would not be overly concerned....unless your sugar intake is making you eat over maintenance..so eat all the fruit you want...
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you're strictly watching sugar, it won't be a problem. Fruit sugar is not the same kind of sugar as what is used for cooking sweets (fructose != sucrose) and therefore it is treated differently by your body. If your primary concern is losing weight, then it really comes down to how many calories are provided by whatever you're eating.
  • mag131
    mag131 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Nope. Fruit is good for you.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Fruit isn't as good as vegetables, but it's not inherently bad.
  • PinkkCamel
    PinkkCamel Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    As always, too much of a good thing can become a bad thing. I think it's important to acknowledge the sugar content as if it were any other food. Just be sensible with how much you have (:
  • ihateyoga
    ihateyoga Posts: 111
    Options
    As long as you stay within your calorie budget.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    As long as you're eating it and not juicing it. The sugar that it contains will not be absorbed as quick if you eat it with the fiber that it also comes with. That doesn't mean go crazy and binge but not stress about your sugar count on MFP. That is based on the recommendation for added sugars but they can't single out added sugars when logging food so most people usually go over.
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Fresh=good
    Fruit=good
    moderation=good
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Fruit is naughty, but oh so good
  • charlotteeorme
    Options
    Thank God I'm not the only one. I went over my sugar budget for today after eating a carrot and a bowl of fresh tomato soup. Did Mr Atkins set these parameters?
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Everything can be bad if you have too much, even water. moderation in all things.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Fruits are good for you, it's a natural food (not processed junk). Unless you're eating a ton of fruit everyday and going over your calories I don't see why it would be bad.