Need ideas for spreading 1,200 calories

Options
I can never seem to eat consistently with my calories…and lately the last few weeks have been a feeding frenzy. Do you ever have days where you might be eating around 2,500 to 3,000 calories a day? I think I’m eating too many snacks, for example, a ½ of a peanut butter & jelly sandwich is around 350 calories…and that’s just a snack. How do you spread your calories throughout the day?

And now that I changed my goals to reflect 1,200 calories a day I really need input. What do you allow yourself for dinner?

:flowerforyou:

Thanks, ~Tamie

Replies

• jesseroyal
    jesseroyal Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The peanut butter sandwich i am eating now is 279 calories...
    natures own sandwich thins- 100
    smuckers sugar free jelly-10
    naturally more PB-169
  • JennBennett410
    Options
    I eat a modified breakfast and lunch (with snacks) Usually special k for breakfast and sliced tureky and cheese sticks with tomatos for lunch. I have a "normal" dinner just modified portions. please feel free to friend me to see my diary.:)
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    One thing that I did was edit my diary so that in addition to breakfast, lunch, dinner, I had mid-morning snack, afternoon snack, and late / after workout snack. This helped me really spread out my calories in a chronological order instead of clumping the snacks at the bottom. A "snack" should be under 200 calories - so, some rice cakes, or a special k bar, a piece of fruit, some yogurt, a cup of crackers, etc. I would advise trying to make your snacks more in the calorie zone of what a snack should consist of. Even oatmeal, which is super filling, can be only 110 calories - yay!! By doing this, you can snack more often, which means you won't be STARVING and therefore pig out at meal times - this is a plus! :) Feel free to friend me and look at my diary to look at what kind of snacks I eat throughout the day!

As for dinner, I try to stay around 500-600 calories. I'll have a side salad instead of bread, I'll try to eat veggies instead of french fries, that sort of thing! Working out will obviously help too, then you can eat back your exercise calories!
  • tummer
    tummer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have oatmeal, turky pita with spinich/ 1/2 slice of cheese/ onion and whatever I might like to throw on it like a pickle. What I do is cut the pita in 4ths and every 2 to 3 hours durring the day I'll have a 4th (don't normally eat all 4 of those parts (normally 2 to 3 now)). Dinner is just whatever healthy I can find.
  • DonnaMaas
    Options
    I try and put all my food in for the day in the morning so I know how much I have for snacks during the day. I do a menu every two weeks for dinner so that makes it easy for me to enter my food in the morning plus I think it helps me to stick to my food plan. You are welcome to look my food diary. I love the wheat sandwich thins and I usually only need about 1/2 tbsp on each side and a little of the sugar free jelly. It only makes it about 200 calories. I also found that Peter Pan makes a whipped peanut butter and 2 tbsp. is only 150 calories. I also eat the Kraft 100 calorie cheese packs for my snack.
  • BrattyLori
    BrattyLori Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hey there. You sound like me. I want to eat snacks all day. So I try to go super light on meals - keep them between 200 and 300 so you have snack cals available. Try to snack on things that will fill you up like cantaloupe or a nice glass of 40 cal almond milk. Don't snack on bread bcz that's very high in cals. Salad fruit and veg. You can do it.
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    if you're having days where you eat up to 3000 calories... i'd suggest not trying to go so low at 1200... maybe stick to 1500 or 1600... lose weight slowly but consistently. eat enough so that you aren't ravenous. what kinds of foods are you eating? are you drinking a lot of water, having a lot of seasonal fruits and veggies and beans and stuff that takes up a lot of space for less calories? yogurt? soups? jello? there are a lot of options. i still manage to have chocolate or something treat-like almost every day while not eating too too much.

sample day for me:

a bunch of scrambled egg whites, an apple and some plain old fashioned oatmeal for breakfast

vegetable soup and fruit and a small sandwich for lunch

fruit or vegetables for a snack, sometimes pretzels or a snickers marathon dark chocolate crunch bar

a wrap or veggie burger or beans/rice or veggie stir fry for dinner

a latte or something with a bit of chocolate for dessert/evening snack

usually I get around 1600-1700 a day, but I also run/do the equivalent on elliptical or bike or whatever for at least 3-4 miles a day minus a rest day here and there
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I try to eat more veggies because they are filling and low in calories. I hope this helps!
  • niknok28
    Options
    My goal is 1,200 a day and I have stuck to it pretty well. If you wanted to look at my food diary just send me a friend request. Keep in mind in the food diary history when you exercise it raises your calorie goal so don't let that confuse you.

I try to stay away from breads and stick to meat, rice, veggies, salad. One of my favorite snacks is vanilla yogurt with fresh strawberries and some granola in it or a banana.

You could always eat celery with a light coating of peanut butter inside of it or some low fat cottage cheese.

Not sure if this will help you but I wish you luck :)
  • Raina0512
    Raina0512 Posts: 216
    Options
    Here's my 'budget' --> Feel free to take a look at my diary! :happy:

Breakfast - 400 calories

AM Snack - 100 calories

Lunch - 300 calories

PM Snack - 100 calories

Dinner - 300 calories

Late Snack - 100 calories (optional)
  • mhill71
    mhill71 Posts: 747
    Options
    Hello,

I can relate to your story.
    For snack options I may have a cup of low-fat yogurt with berries or
    a handful of nuts- almonds, walnuts or
    a cup of fresh fruit or
    hummus and pita chips

For dinner I tend to choose baked/grilledchicken breast with sauted veggies or
    baked/grilled fish with brown rice or sauted veggies or
    veggies stir fry w/chicken or
    hearty salad with grilled chicken or fish w/ lite or low fat dressing

I hope that helps you out. Good luck.
  • lauz45
    lauz45 Posts: 243
    Options
    I try and mix and match, if I have the higher end of cals in one meal, I go for the lower end in a different meal. My daily plan is:

Breakfast: 100-200 cals (not a big morning eater!)
    AM snack: 100 cals
    Lunch: 250-300 cals
    PM snack: 100 cals
    Dinner: 400-500 cals

and then I add on my cups of tea with milk at the end :) I never go below 1000 though. My diary's public again now but only worth looking at from today onwards! Lol.

I'm very pleased as i've kept to it today, I don't have to stay away in hotels for work anymore so I can plan and prepare my own food, makes life so much easier.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I took a quick glance at your diary to see what you were doing and you were right, dinner and snacks seem to be your downfall. dinner was hard to tell what you were doing since you utilize the quick add calories a lot. chocolate seems to be your main weakness in the snack area.

Snacking in and of itself is not bad. You just need to substitute some healthier, bulkier items and cut back on the chocolate. I am actually a grazer myself and eat lots of small things throughout the day and have a hard time getting all my calories in! I eat things like yogurt, cottage cheese, wasa crackers, popcorn (although I have to be careful there since I like it buttery!), fruit, carrot sticks throughout the day. This keeps me from feeling hungry and grabbing a less filling high calorie snack and then another. If you need your chocolate, don't deny yourself, just limit yourself to a piece or two a day or find some lower calorie alternatives. I really like the jello chocolate mousse temptations.

As far as dinner goes, I try and have lean meat or fish flavored with herbs, not sauces. For convenience, since I live alone, I end up nuking a lean cuisine meal about half the time too.
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    This is how I would divide up the 1200 calories.
    Breakfast: 200
    Snack: 100
    Lunch: 300
    Dinner: 400

It comes down to personal preference for how you divide them up, I like eating more in the afternoon & evening. And usually I eat more than 1200 since I'm maintaining, which for me means slightly higher calorie counts for each of the meals and snacks.

As far as what to eat, it will require a bit of research on your part to find foods you enjoy that fall into the calorie amounts. Though technically almost anything qualifies as long as you eat it in the correct portion to amount to the calories you've allotted for the meal/snack.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I think you need to plan ahead a little bit more. If you put your food in in the morning and then just modify it if it ends up changing throughout the day, you can think ahead and make better choices rather than waiting til you're hungry and giving in to the cravings.

Here's a few suggestions on switching out your heavy, creamy snack foods with a lighter healthier option. I found a really good chocolate peanut butter protein shake. It's ISO FLEX whey protien. 118 calories a scoop, 1g carbs and 27g protein. Blended with fat free milk and some ice and you have a choco peanutbutter milk shake that's under 200 calories and fat free. Id try laughing cow cheese wedges at 35 calories a wedge instead of the high fat and calorie cream cheese. If you're going to eat carbs try to sub them out for the whole grain or whole wheat slternative. and try to keep them at 1/2 c servings. If you cook wheat pasta and brown rice or whatever grain you choose in fat free chicken stock, it adds a ton of flavor without allt he fat and extra calories. Choose whole fruit and low starchy veggies with hummus or fat free yogurt for your snacks...

Friend me and take a look at my diary if you need some more options...this past weekend was my first cheat days in three weeks so try to look past them. Good luck!