Starving

Options
I'm 21 male, sedentary, 1500 eating. I ate 1400 today but I am starving. I usually eat more because I work out and I used to have a different job. now I have a desk job and I'm too busy to work out and too lazy. Any tip staying under my calorie goal?

Replies

• joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    more water, more protein, less fat, less carb. That should be more filling.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Eat more food? 1500 calories for a 21-year-old guy sounds really low.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options

Carbs and fats fill you up! A lot actually. Eat fiber. Fiber is a proven filler actually.
  • matthewsq
    matthewsq Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    i drink more than 5 liters a day. I go to the washroom every hour too. I just added protein powder back to my diet. so I can be more satisfied and it worked. but protein powder is pretty expensive for a student
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    protein does keep you full longest apparently according to studies
  • matthewsq
    Options
    any food examples i can get for fiber and protein?
    I did some research for snack foods and i got these
    banana
    3 c air popped corn
    quacker instant oat meal
    activia vanilla
    granola bar
  • moonmistmm
    moonmistmm Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Some of the easiest sources of fiber are anything plant based, really. If you eat enough fruits and veggies, maybe some whole grains, you should be set on fiber. Fiber One bars are good too.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    On what basis did you decide 1500 calories is acceptable for a reasonably lean person such as yourself?
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Why is your calorie goal so low? How tall are you?
  • joshdann
    Options

Carbs and fats fill you up! A lot actually. Eat fiber. Fiber is a proven filler actually.
    fiber is the exception. The things that take the longest to break down fill you up the most, since they stick around longer. That's protein and to some extent fat. The problem with fat though, is that it's *way* more calorie dense. You get more than twice as much food weight per calorie with protein versus fat. Digestible (non-fiber) carbs get digested very quickly (especially simple ones) and won't provide much of a full feeling for very long. Complex carbs stick around a little longer but still not as long as protein.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind eating brand food and not, made in a blender or whatever from scratch at your house food:

Nature Valley Protein Bars
    Quaker Oat Bars

They're filling (especially if you eat them while drinking water) and taste nice.

If you're okay with diary:

Greek yogurt
    Cheeses

I also like raw almonds, seaweed peanuts (heck, seaweed anything, I love seaweed), energy squares from nuts.com, and stuff like that.

You can try filling up on more vegetables with your meals. They're low cal, and I'll often put a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese (Maybe 10 or 15 grams) or a serving of shredded cheddar cheese (28 grams) on a couple servings of green vegetables. ^_^ So, it's a little more fat and protein with the vegetables, and they're not too boring. But, the cheese is optional if you don't mind them just plain.

The only thing is cheese and nuts have to be measured carefully because they're calorie dense foods.
  • liftheavyeatwell
    Options
    On what basis did you decide 1500 calories is acceptable for a reasonably lean person such as yourself?

This. Even being sedentary you could, most likely should, be eating more to maintain your weight. Judging by your profile picture there isn't much to lose if weight loss actually is your goal.
  • emjvance
    emjvance Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    you shouldnt be starving yourself, you can go a little over the calorie goal, this is healthy, try and fit a little workout into your day. I know its hard but it is doable. I workout every night for 40 minutes every night doing insanity, if i want to eat more i know i need to do my workout. there is also T25 that i heard about and it is only 25 mins a day.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to lose 30 more lbs? My BMR is 2400+, and I am 47. Yours has to be higher. 1500 calories a day, no wonder you are hungry. Eat healthy, yes, 1500 calories my cause some healthy issues, and the cost of food will be the least of your worries.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Eat more
  • joshdann
    Options
    My BMR is 2400+, and I am 47.
    Where did you get that measurement?
  • Blesmols
    Blesmols Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    When I started eating better, I was hungry a lot, but I've been doing this since July and now, it's all I can do to get enough food in to cover my calorie allotment! I'm a poor college student, too. Consider Healthy Choice Steamers. Walmart has had a long-running sale on these recently, too, for $2 each. Some of those have 21 grams of protein in them! Moreover, they have veggies too. I also happen to like the taste. I'm also a big canned tuna fan, but you have to watch how much you eat of that because of mercury! I also pick up a box of ThinkThin Brownie Bars, 20 grams of protein each. These are usually about $1.39 each, or $5.97 to $6.97 for a box of five. These taste pretty good, too, and I eat one for breakfast with some fruit each day. It seems the more protein I eat for breakfast, the better off I am on managing hunger all day.

If you have to snack, consider vegetables. I moderately like carrots, but if you buy a bunch of them, eating them is a chore. I chew them so much that by the time I have a carrot, I'm tired of eating.
  • matthewsq
    Options
    my height is 5'5. I want to lose one pound per week and that's what mfp gave me
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Why 30 pounds? Why the 1500 calorie goal? Why not make time to work out? Why not set reasonable goals?

ETA: How do you know how many calories you are truly eating each day if you do not log accurately?
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Stay out of McDonalds for one... ????