Newbie with fear of scales

Hi all! I've always been a private person and haven't exactly been open with my struggle with weight-loss, maintenance, and general fitness through the years, but this time I want to do things differently, which is why I'm here. I'm not entirely sure how these introductions are supposed to go, or how personal I'm meant to be, so I've put up a little more about myself in my blog entry if you're interested.

Despite recovering from anorexia about a decade ago, I still find scales a bit triggering and have avoided them like a plague. Since then, I've measured progress by dress-size, the tone of my body, and how I feel overall (somehow im expecting a bit of backlash on this paragraph).

My diet and exercise routine was fairly great early this year. I was winging IF, drinking bulletproof coffee, and working out 6 days a week (HIIT/pilates/weights) but I fell off the wagon because I let certain life-occurrences bring me down.

But now I'm ready to focus on myself again. Ready to put in the work to take care of this temple.

My ultimate goal would be to maintain a healthy lifestyle, and to have enough upper-body strength to do pull ups. A plus would be to drop to an AUS 6 along the way (currently bumped up to a 10 from an 8):. I start food-logging and working out today! I'll be having a look around to see what else MFP has to offer :)

Replies

• theslimapple
    theslimapple Posts: 38 Member
    Actually I think you're starting out with a good mindset to be successful! Because a) the scale isn't everything and true success is measured in inches lost and how your body looks and feels. Too many of us ( I'm guilty too ) attach too much importance on the numbers on the scale to define our progress and the truth is we really shouldn't!
    B) you say you have goals like wanting to do pull ups. That's great! I too by the way, I'm working hard on them. Again, To me you sound motivated to be healthy, and that's more important than doing it for looks alone.

If you don't want to pay attention to the scale I say don't. Just make sure to log in all your food and exercises religiously, eat enough and measure yourself every 2 weeks.
  • Will do, thanks for that! :)