Jogging - experienced runners' thoughts please!

Options
I started jogging about 6 weeks ago and I'm really starting to get into it but I have some questions for the more expreienced runners out there and I'd be really grateful for your thoughts.

1) Rhythm: I find that I'm most comfortable breathing in for three steps and breathing out the next 3, unless I'm running quite fast in which case it's breathing in for 2 steps and out for 2. However, when another jogger runs past me at a different pace, or in fact if I hear any other kind of rhythm (e.g. a siren, and car alarm, music from a passing car) I lose my breathing rhythm until I can no longer hear the distracting rhythm. For the same reason, I find that listening to my iPod while running is also distracting. Is this normal? What steps can I take to maintain my breathing rhythm regardless of the sounds around me?

2) I don't own a heart rate monitor or any equipment other than a pair of trainers. I've been challenging myself by increasing my running time by 5 minutes each time I begin to feel comfortable with my current run length. I'm up to running for 45 minutes at a time. How can I work out how many miles/km I'm running?

3) Is it OK to run 6 days a week, or will this eventually destroy my knees? How often and at what intervals is it good for your body to go for a run?

Thank you! :-)

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Stage 1 - Don't call it Jogging it's Running (it's no longer the 1970s)

Rhythm. Don't over think it you will naturally fall into a comfortable rhythm that your body likes. I couldn't even tell what my breathing is. It's just comfortable for me.

You will need a mobile phone app (I use runtastic) or something similar to track distance or time. You could sit there old fashioned style and work out some calculations on a map but personally I wouldn't.

Listen to your body if you feel comfortable running 6 days run 6 days but remember rest is important as it gives muscles time to recover. I sometimes run 7 days but other weeks I will only run 3 you just need to be sensible. As you've only been running 6 weeks I would suggest only run 3 or 4 days to give your body time to adjust to this new activity.(As a new runner it's hard on the body as it adjusts and if you go too fast you may encourage injury) Don't be in too much of a rush. As for your knees there has been some good solid research showing that running actually strengthens your knees as it encourages cartilage growth.
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Hey there!
    First of all, congratulations on the first 6 weeks. That's already an accomplishment.
    As for breathing, I will tell you that it takes a while to develop a rhythm that is comfortable for you. Many runners, like you, will not listen to music or run in developed areas due to the large amount of distractions for pace and rhythm. You could try wearing headphones just to block out some of those sounds, though of course that could be a little dangerous. As you run more, you will find that your pace and rhythm will vary based on the kind of run you're doing (fartleks vs. easy vs. long and easy). As long as you aren't getting cramps due to a weird breathing rate, you are fine.
    As for heart rate monitor: I got my first HRM eight years into running. Until then/even today, I use the logging feature on Runner's World (there are others, like Running2Win etc). One can map out a route that one runs, which gives distance, and then time oneself for how long it takes one to run that route. Simple minutes per mile conversion (the tools will do that for you). :) That being said, a standard HRM only tracks heart rate and if you're lucky (accurately tracks) calories. This could be useful for you if you are concerned that you are losing your rhythm. Heart rate is a good marker for that.
    Lastly, OF COURSE you can run 6 days a week. I do that. I believe it is important to have a rest day once a week, but I know some runners who RUN EVERYDAY (nutters ;) ). It depends on your personal fitness, the speed at which you do it, etc. You can get an overuse injury only running 4 days a week, so it really is important to take rest between runs, proper fueling, pacing, and individual circumstances (such as history of knee injuries) into consideration.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers
  • wareje
    wareje Posts: 42
    Options
    firstly, congrats on what you have achieved thus far! i wouldn't class myself as a pro runner, i mostly just wing it; but i do run just about everyday for 30-40 minutes. sometimes an hour if i'm doing intervals and iv got nothing better to do...

i cant answer your breathing question.. in fact its got me thinking about my own breathing techniques and how i should be paying attention to that!

I use an app on my iPhone, Nike+ Running. it tracks my distance, how fast on average i complete my run and how many calories i burn.. though i'm not quite sure how accurate the calorie burn is.
    i haven't destroyed my knees yet :) and iv been at it for over a year now. I keep up my running through netball season and suffer wicked shin splints but that's just me over exhorting myself..

I never stretched when i first started or I'd have a half assed attempt at it before hand and not worry about it after.. it made the first km pretty painful on my next run.

Good luck with everything!
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Breathing should be a natural thing. When you are running comfortably, thay say you should be able to talk normally. I have never felt like talking in all my years of running, about 40yrs.
    I have never had any knee problems. I read years ago that if you keep your legs going in a straight line, not flairing out then your ankles, your knees and your hips will be aligned and that makes a great shock absorber. You can tell if your legs are flairing out, if your arm flair. You arms should also go forward and more of less straight back.
    I think running is a personal thing. By that I mean however you feel comfortable. Your breathing , once you have run a short ways, in my case a 1/4 mile or so, should be a normal in and out. Not holding your breath for a length of time.
    Add me to your friend list if you like. I am 77 yrs old and run 4 to 6 times a week usually for 45 mins to an hour and 15 mins. I run slow now however!!

Basil
  • kell2116
    kell2116 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice and reassurance.

I'll look into Runner's World or another app for my phone, and try not to focus so explicitly on the breathing issue.

Basil - you're amazing. I hope I'm jogging as often as you when I hit my 70s! I'll have a look at my leg alignment on my run today (and hopefully not run into anything simultaneously!)

Much obliged!

:-)
  • lmissinsanity
    Options
    Runners world has a fantastic book (more like encyclopedia) on running. Perhaps check it out?
  • kell2116
    kell2116 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Ah ok, will see if I can find it - THANK YOU :-))