Re-gained 18 pounds :-(

Options
I was doing really well for a while and lost 43 pounds - eating a lot better and working out. Now I've regained 18 of that 45 pounds in the last 3 months. I can't run anymore (or even walk at a fast pace), due to the muscles in my feet and calves hurting. Biking and Elliptical a little, not as much as running. I'm going to physical therapy to work on getting my feet/calves better. I definitely have not been eating well - in fact I'd even say that I've been really bad. I started working more than one job, and I barely have time for myself. It's frustrating.

I'm doing what I can to try to have a good financial future, but that is impacting my health. I can't think of any cardio that won't hurt my feet. The muscles in my feet and calves are incredibly tight so when there is pressure on them, hey hurt. My OT suggested the elliptical and biking, but those hurt too. I'm very frustrated, and angry at myself that I let myself regain weight that I worked so hard on losing. In case it makes a difference (or you just want to know) Height: 5'6", SW 240, LW 197, CW 215. I have very little support in losing weight, not that I have a ton of people that sabotage that (although there are some), but no one actively supporting my decisions in losing weight. My motivation is most definitely lacking now, especially since I have gained weight back - I just want to give up and cry and eat a whole bag of Oreos (I don't have any, but I have thought about buying it, but I have not).

Replies

• kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: Get ready for some tough love...I don't sugar coat stuff...and I don't mean to be mean. I'm really a pretty nice, caring person. But some people, I've learned need a good dose of reality...sorry if you ain't one of them...

You seem to have a similar story to mine. From Oct. 2010 to August 2012 I lost 45lbs (190-145) (the last 15 on MFP). From August 2012 to June 2013 I gained 15 back :sad: . I got cocky. I thought my metabolism was fierce and I couldn't gain the weight back so I got lazy. Stopped logging, stopped exercising, etc. When the scale at my doctor's said 160 one afternoon it stopped me in my tracks. Now, I'm 5'11, 160 is still a really good weight, but not for me. My clothes were getting tight, I had already grew out of my size 4-6 stuff and was now in 8's (sometimes 10's). I basically had to tell myself that I couldn't let it get of of control. So I started logging again, eating at a deficient and it's slowly coming off again - down to 151 with a weigh in Friday. My goal this time is 150 by my BF's sister's wedding in Atlanta on Oct. 19th and 147 by the new year. I'm determined now to keep it off this time.

Anyway, I really have no support either. Didn't while I lost the 45 either (Lived alone at the time and did it all on my own) My BF that I live with now eats and drinks what he wants, could care less if I workout or eat right. But I know I can't depend on ANYONE else by me in this. So, I see all your excuses, but I raise you a "Seriously?". We've all be where you are, with the excuses, the lack of motivation, but we all found it within ourselves to get back on it and stay on it. And all your "I can't workout" excuses? Yeah, not working with me. The only time I "workout" is when my BF and I take long walks at night. I don't workout at home and I don't go to the gym. I just watch my calories and the weight comes off. Exercise isn't needed while you are recovering. Seriously. It's not. Losing weight is 80% diet, 20% exercise and 100% mental.

So, get off your sorry horse and get back on it. You did it once, you can do it again!
  • aidyaidybobady
    aidyaidybobady Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I totally understand about gaining the weight back, but you had the determination once before so don't sell yourself short!
    I'm the only one of my friends who's overweight and it's very hard to go out and diet when they don't have to worry about these things... so I've started talking to my sister in Australia (I'm in Scotland) every day and keeping her updated about how I'm doing.
    If you need additional motivation then you can message me whenever you need to - we can keep each other on track!
    Have you tried swimming? Even just walking more can make a difference... and logging my food in here has made a huge difference to me as I'm becoming so much more aware of the damage that extra piece of cheese or chocolate is doing!
    My only advise is to to stay positive and be proud of yourself every day that you achieve your goals - expecting yourself to be at the same place you were before you regained the weight is unfair, just do your best and you'll start to feel better I promise!
    I'm only 5'3 and 208lbs, I have a long way to go but for the first time in ages I'm feeling motivated! x
  • christinemac17
    christinemac17 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: Get ready for some tough love...I don't sugar coat stuff...and I don't mean to be mean. I'm really a pretty nice, caring person. But some people, I've learned need a good dose of reality...sorry if you ain't one of them...

You seem to have a similar story to mine. From Oct. 2010 to August 2012 I lost 45lbs (190-145) (the last 15 on MFP). From August 2012 to June 2013 I gained 15 back :sad: . I got cocky. I thought my metabolism was fierce and I couldn't gain the weight back so I got lazy. Stopped logging, stopped exercising, etc. When the scale at my doctor's said 160 one afternoon it stopped me in my tracks. Now, I'm 5'11, 160 is still a really good weight, but not for me. My clothes were getting tight, I had already grew out of my size 4-6 stuff and was now in 8's (sometimes 10's). I basically had to tell myself that I couldn't let it get of of control. So I started logging again, eating at a deficient and it's slowly coming off again - down to 151 with a weigh in Friday. My goal this time is 150 by my BF's sister's wedding in Atlanta on Oct. 19th and 147 by the new year. I'm determined now to keep it off this time.

Anyway, I really have no support either. Didn't while I lost the 45 either (Lived alone at the time and did it all on my own) My BF that I live with now eats and drinks what he wants, could care less if I workout or eat right. But I know I can't depend on ANYONE else by me in this. So, I see all your excuses, but I raise you a "Seriously?". We've all be where you are, with the excuses, the lack of motivation, but we all found it within ourselves to get back on it and stay on it. And all your "I can't workout" excuses? Yeah, not working with me. The only time I "workout" is when my BF and I take long walks at night. I don't workout at home and I don't go to the gym. I just watch my calories and the weight comes off. Exercise isn't needed while you are recovering. Seriously. It's not. Losing weight is 80% diet, 20% exercise and 100% mental.

So, get off your sorry horse and get back on it. You did it once, you can do it again!

^^^^^^
    totally this!
    I have a very similar story. It's taken me several months to get back on track, but I'm back in the game. What better option do you have? Trust me, you DON'T want to go back
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    swimming?

anyway you dont need to exercise to lose weight, you just need a calorie deficit. so you need to prioritise a little time so you can plan and prepare your days food, and then you are good to go!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    swimming?

anyway you dont need to exercise to lose weight, you just need a calorie deficit. so you need to prioritise a little time so you can plan and prepare your days food, and then you are good to go!

This.

It's not your lack of exercise that's making you gain weight, it's the food. Weight loss is 90% diet, so they say.

And total agreement on the swimming, when I had a slipped disc the only exercise I could do was swimming. It's a fantastic exercise.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I know how that feels. 2 Years ago I lost a lot of weight and gained aaallll of it back, plus 10 more pounds after I got in a car accident.

This pas 6 months I've lost more than I ever did before, and for most of the summer I couldn't exercise bc I tore my MCL and ACL. Just ask yourself this: is what you want to eat really worth how you'll feel about it the next morning?

You can do it :)
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others! You are what you eat,exercise is great for toning you up and getting you fit but the table is the place you loose or gain.Stop depending or blaming other people for their lack of support,support yourself,you are your own best friend!
  • fgenao
    fgenao Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I understand how you are feeling, I just posted a comment similar to yours. I am totally frustrated and angry. But you know yesterday was yesterday and today is all new. Take a deep breath and it's one meal at a time, one day at a time.

Dont give up, you have done it once before - no one will take care of you, but yourself
  • c_luise
    c_luise Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Kristen- I get what you are saying, but if there is no point to wanting support, why does this site exist? Why choose this site over the color or counting apps?

Yes, excuses and some reasons. I'm used to running. That helped me when I was eating well and I was working out, I kept the weight off. I didn't lose much. Most of what I did lose was just from eating differently. I may be trying to make it too perfect. Which I'd gather you say is an excuse. Is everything an excuse to you? Or are there reasons too?

I've been trying to eat anti-inflammatory foods, gluten free foods, alkalinizing foods, low gi foods...one says one food is good the other says it is bad. I get frustrated trying to figure out the healthiest foods too eat.

I can lose weight without eating "healthy". But I'm trying to do it the right way. And I get frustrated and give up since I don't have the time to make all this stuff or it doesn't taste good. Trying to do it the "right" way. The "healthy" way doesn't work for me. I get way too frustrated that way.

What's more important eating healthy to lose weight and not losing weight or losing weight and then working on the healthy aspects of it?
  • c_luise
    Options
    swimming?

I do prepare healthy foods ahead of time. Last week I made ginger quinoa with vegetables for breakfast (enough for all week and portioned it out in containers to take to work), and brown rice with vegetables and chicken for dinner (again prepared and portioned). Tuna fish was on the menu for lunch with almond crackers. All ready to go and I didn't eat it. I wasted all of that food. Some may still be good. I have a problem of only eating food I want to, not food I prepare or planned on. I don't like eating something (or making myself) eat something I don't want to.
  • c_luise
    Options
    I know how that feels. 2 Years ago I lost a lot of weight and gained aaallll of it back, plus 10 more pounds after I got in a car accident.

This pas 6 months I've lost more than I ever did before, and for most of the summer I couldn't exercise bc I tore my MCL and ACL. Just ask yourself this: is what you want to eat really worth how you'll feel about it the next morning?

You can do it :)

No it's not. I do stop and think about what I'm choosing. And that it's "bad" for me. And then I still eat it. One bad meal isn't going to make a difference. Except my own bad meal is an all day thing. :-(
  • c_luise
    Options
    I understand how you are feeling, I just posted a comment similar to yours. I am totally frustrated and angry. But you know yesterday was yesterday and today is all new. Take a deep breath and it's one meal at a time, one day at a time.

Dont give up, you have done it once before - no one will take care of you, but yourself

I did do it before. But not by eating super healthy 5-6 times a day. There are so many "rules" to eating healthy. I struggle with following those or losing weight. I've been trying to the first part and failing at it. But that's the right way. The healthy way. So I keep trying and failing. Is it worth it?
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to eat anti-inflammatory foods, gluten free foods, alkalinizing foods, low gi foods...one says one food is good the other says it is bad. I get frustrated trying to figure out the healthiest foods too eat.

I can lose weight without eating "healthy". But I'm trying to do it the right way. And I get frustrated and give up since I don't have the time to make all this stuff or it doesn't taste good. Trying to do it the "right" way. The "healthy" way doesn't work for me. I get way too frustrated that way.

What's more important eating healthy to lose weight and not losing weight or losing weight and then working on the healthy aspects of it?

I really think you're making it harder than it has to be. There don't have to be tons of rules to eating healthy, and you certainly don't have to eat anti-inflammatory foods, gluten free foods, alkalinizing foods, low gi foods, etc unless you have an underlying health condition that warrants these things. Just set your calorie goal at a deficit, aim to eat mostly nutrient-dense foods, and be patient.

As far as not eating your prepared foods, sometimes you just have to make yourself do something you don't want to do...
  • getabsbysummer
    getabsbysummer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Take it from me, a former yo-yo dieter who was tipping the scales at 200lbs, 5'3" then being at 170 a couple times the past 4 years. Doing it the right way will be the way the weight will stay off, and your body will be healthy enough with a great metabolism to sustain a well-deserved cheat meal once a week.

South Beach Diet I could drop 14 lbs in a month., Atkins the same. I could drop loads of weight in just a couple months...but do you think it stayed off? nope. I never really "fixed" my diet. I only committed to it with an end goal in mind. I only exercised for the sake of "burning calories". I only ate the food I was supposed to eat because it was part of the plan to be skinny. I've yo-yo'd at least three times in the past four years, and only in the last 2 months have a become committed to SLOW, STEADY, and SOMETIMES STALLING weight loss.

I constantly get discouraged if it's even worth it. But it's your mindset that sounds like it needs some revitalizing. Think about exercise and diet as proof of self-control...a part of your character you might like to aquire. How you take care of your body is actually part of who you are. A reflection of your heart and soul. You can't leave it one-dimensional as to just "lose weight". That fades fast doesn't it? and as you lose weight from a big number, it becomes harder and harder as the weight comes off to lose more pounds.

If the boyfriend doesn't really support you, or spur you on, ask yourself what you are getting out of that relationship? Aren't two people supposed to support each other in their goals and help each other grow mentally, physically, and emotionally in a relationship?

This is the mindset I took after all the yo-yoing, and here I am only 2 months into MFP, with only 6 pounds lost to show for it, and it has been the slowest 6 pounds I have EVER lost. but it's well earned, and on top of pounds lost, I am earning life skills in eating, patience, and perseverance. Don't YOU want to inspire someone else too?

The picture below is only a 3.8 pound loss on the scale, but a 5 week difference of slow and healthy eating (and yes there was steak, french fries, baked potatoes, some vodka, ice cream pie, and a burger in those 5 weeks). I started MFP at 196 and now I am at 190.8 as of this morning.

6896c7b4-6fcb-4856-8b21-bc221903f212_zps198b59e2.jpg

So you can do this. You just need to change what your motivations were in the first place, and realize that this is going to make you a better person mentally, in your confidence, and you won't be saying "I can't.." "I won't..." or "I should but I don't.."
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    i had lost 32 then gained back 15 and eventually lost another 30! so start over! with no exercise btw.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Tough love here doll -

I can make up all my excuses too - my body hurts constantly as I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia a year ago. Also tore my MCL twice, several sprained ankles, depression, school (graduated already, finally), work, bills, volunteer work, family issues, business trips... but I keep pushing through the constant pain and things in life, and in total I've lost 44 pounds (SLOWLY, but they are still gone). I am gluten free as well, because I did test for intolerance, not full blown allergy though. But I eat crap, not all healthy food, and I still dropped the weight. Why do you need to eat healthy? did a doctor tell you to, or is it because you think you'll lose the weight faster? Everyone's metabolism is different, it doesn't matter the kind of food (yes, LESS prepared food is better, but hey, if you're busy, just do what you can when you can, no use stressing over what can't be fixed or done).

You just need to want it. If it's just a thought in the back of your mind, and a fleeting thought, then you don't want it bad enough. Work for what you want.
  • deestew58
    deestew58 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've had some of the same problems with my calves, knees, and lower back . I became depressed and put back on 30lbs, after losing 48
    I'm trying to stay on track. My therapist has suggested swimming and water aerobics along with therapy until I'm able to get back on treadmill and bike

I hope this helps
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Kristen- I get what you are saying, but if there is no point to wanting support, why does this site exist? Why choose this site over the color or counting apps?

Yes, excuses and some reasons. I'm used to running. That helped me when I was eating well and I was working out, I kept the weight off. I didn't lose much. Most of what I did lose was just from eating differently. I may be trying to make it too perfect. Which I'd gather you say is an excuse. Is everything an excuse to you? Or are there reasons too?

I actually think Kristen was being very supportive, telling you how she went through a similiar situation and came out of it. Just because she didn't coddle you and say, "Awwww poor you!" doesn't mean she wasn't being supportive.

Tough love is the best kind of love, because there is no BS and tells you exactly what you need to do. There is no excuse for eating over your calorie allotment. If you don't really want this, then it won't happen for you. Simple as that.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I think that you are feeling a lot of stress, and while weight loss does occur primarily in the kitchen, exercise does help with keeping a positive attitude and weight loss. That being said, you need to take the time for yourself, and get out and get some fresh air. Walk around the block, breathe in the fresh air, maybe 2 blocks next time.

You are over thinking the whole diet thing. I can still eat pizza and lose weight. I just eat 2 pieces instead of 5 and drink a lot of water during the day. I try to eat some broccoli--doesn't require a lot of prep work. Spray some broccoli with a little Pam, and put it in the microwave x 2 or 2.5 minutes. Just delicious. I still eat chocolate, just measure it out and only eat that amount, or better yet, a chocolate flavored protein bar to obtain 30 grams of protein. You have to pick and chose your battles.

It does take time to plan for eating for the day, and when feeling stress, that cupcake looks better than the roast turkey sandwich that you prepared. I can't say that I haven't done it too, because I have, but I log it and then I log my feelings also. What was I feeling? Boredom? Stress? Frustration?

I broke my toe and can still bicycle on a stationary bike (after the swelling and pain subsided), and the ellyptical doesn't require moving your feet at all. What changed? Why does it hurt now?

Good luck, I know that you can do it. If you want, send friend request. you will be surprised how much food I eat per day and still under 1700 calories..
  • ChristianAutumn
    ChristianAutumn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is that you can't out train a bad diet.

Excuses/reasons... they all have the same end result, you have to want it more than whatever your reasons or excuses are. If you were just running to compensate for a not so great diet, then you weren't going about it in the right way anyways. The overall healthy lifestyle requires your diet being in check. In an ideal world maybe we'd all shop, prepare, and plan our food for the week on Sundays and then not have to worry about it all week. I get it, that's not realistic. Life gets in the way, but if you have no plan at all when it comes to food then you are basically planning to fail. Even if you don't pre-plan your meals I'm sure you have certain go-to items that work for you when losing weight. Stock up on those items. I've gained back weight before by getting sloppy with logging or having more carbs than what I know works for me or not exercising. We all go off track sometime whether it be a holiday or a vacation or whatever reason. When you start to veer over and hit the skid strips on the highway, do they remind you to get back on track in the lines or do you decide to ram you car off road and flip it into a ditch? You've gone off plan. Get back on it. Or don't. It sucks to not have support, but it's on you to make things happen. Do you want to go backwards or forwards? You know what needs to be done. It's a bummer you can't exercise like you are accustomed to, but it's not a lost cause. I lost my first 30 lbs without exercising. Then I realized that to actually be healthy and get to my goal weight I needed to eat right and exercise including strength training and not just cardio. Why don't you do some upper body and core strength training while your legs/feet heal? Increasing your lean muscle mass will burn more calories at rest.
    We all get down on ourselves and yes there is support here, but there's also real talk. Hopefully you don't take offense, but people here are trying to tell you what we know has worked in our own situations. Good luc..... no. wait. There's no luck involved here. Just hard work. Now get out there and do the damn thing! :)