Chia seeds: What are the benefits?

Options
I have seen a lot of hype over these lately, my mum even bought them and made me start sprinkling them on my cereal while she blabbered on about something.
I still have no idea what they are good for! Want to help me out? :)

Replies

• JADEPH0EN1X
    JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested to know that too !
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    None. They get stuck in your teeth and are nasty, slimy little beads of chaff.

Superfood my @$$ :laugh:
  • JADEPH0EN1X
    JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    LOL!!!
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I guess they're supposed to help cravings, keep you full, and help with weight loss. I just think they're the new trend, but still, I love trying new things and they're pretty easy to find. Chef John from Foodwishes made chocolate pudding with them a while ago, so I might get some just to try out that recipe.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    A quick google search brought up:
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/top-10-health-benefits-chia-seeds-6962.html
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/06/03/chia-seed-benefits-_n_3379831.html
    Nowadays, chia is becoming better known as a great source of healthy omega-3 fats and fibre, and fortunately it's an easy food to add to your diet.
    There are tons of links. Here's the search I used:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=chia+seeds+health+benefits&oq=chia+seeds+heal&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l3.8605j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
  • Rosannajo88
    Rosannajo88 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Apparantly the aztecs loved them and they provide a source of omega 3.

I found this which made me laugh, but is also very true.

"A few sprinkled over a dish for texture is fine but the claims of superior omega-3 qualities are overstated. The Aztec may have loved them but they were also into human sacrifice and kicking heads down temple steps. Stick to grass fed meat, wild fish and fish oils for your omega-3 intake"
  • Mongognom
    Mongognom Posts: 123
    Options
    The Aztec may have loved them but they were also into human sacrifice and kicking heads down temple steps.

LOL!
    My sister works at a health food store, and she says it's BS, actually she says most of the things she sell is BS and to just stick to normal healthy food, eat your veggies and lean meat and whole grains.
  • sasers
    sasers Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    According to Doctor Oz...if you put them in a glass a water then drink them, they swell up some in your stomach taking up space and making you feel fuller causing you to eat less. You are to drink a glass 30 minutes before each meal. They are all natural so there are no chemicals. They break down and digest easily.
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    They are quite high in calories (just as all seeds are) and I really don't feel like they keep me full any longer. Just the next food fad that marketers can get people to throw their money at.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    none...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    According to Doctor Oz...if you put them in a glass a water then drink them, they swell up some in your stomach taking up space and making you feel fuller causing you to eat less. You are to drink a glass 30 minutes before each meal. They are all natural so there are no chemicals. They break down and digest easily.

DR. Oz is a snake oil salesman...

I disregard anyhing that starts with "according to dr oz" how about some ketones with those chia seeds..?
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I use them for chia pudding. Choc protein powder, almond milk, Steevia, ground flax powder. I have it for dinner, has a lot of fibre, (12g) not including the flax powder..also has omega3s, 5Xs more calcium than milk, keeps me full til bedtime, and makes for one heck of a great poo ! Great fad !!! I love'em !!!:drinker: to put them in water and drink them(as some do )......eh, not so much
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    yeah..poor Dr. Oz has lost all his credibility trying to pander to the aging femal demographic and filling air time with every health food fad out there.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    My doctor recently suggested a tablespoon per day because they allegedly lower "bad" cholesterol. I'll give them a shot & see how it works out. As for caloric content, they are 60 cals/tbsp., 5 carbs, 3g's of fat, 3g's of protein & no sodium - not a signifrcant difference to the day's totals......
  • sjones215
    sjones215 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I admit it I fell for the hype and bought some, first I tried them in a smoothie...........yuck tasted like I put sand in there, next I made chia pudding...........ok yes this tasted good but again even "swollen" seemed gritty and sandy. Never felt any difference in fullness and for the calories I definitely decided they were so NOT worth it.
  • Dch2272
    Dch2272 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    They are a source of Omega 3, Fiber, and Protein. I add them to my protein shakes as I prefer a little consistency to them. I have also added them to yogurt, again for the consistency.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle chia seeds on my breakfast.
    It is true that chia seeds do provide omega-3 fatty acids and contain fiber, antioxidants, protein, and minerals (1). While claims of weight loss and decreases in daily cravings may be a bit far fetched, increases in satiety due to the fiber and protein content may be valid. A study conducted by Nieman and Colleagues concluded that ingestion of 50g/d of chia seeds for 12 weeks did not influence body mass, composition, or disease risk factors in overweight/obese men and women (2). A recent study published in The Journal of Nutrition viewed the effects of a specific dietary pattern on Metabolic Syndrome (3). Sixty-seven participants with Metabolic Syndrome were involved in the study and were given a mixture to drink twice a day. The mixture chosen was based on antihyperglycemic, antihyperinsulinemic, hypolipidemic, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidants effects (3). Chia seeds were included in this mixture because of the presence of fatty acids and antioxidants that promote a reduction in the inflammatory response (3). This study concluded that a dietary pattern of nopal, chia seed, soy protein, and oat showed a reduction in serum triglyceride levels, serum CRP (C-Reactive Protein test, indicates acute inflammation or infection), and insulin AUC (3).

Although this study does provide encouraging outcomes, more research needs to be done with the conjunction of chia seeds helping to improve cardiovascular disease, lowering cholesterol, triglycerides, blood pressure, and weight loss promotion (1). Little published research concerning chia exists, and most information available is based on lab animals not humans (1). So remember, be an informed consumer with a critical eye when reviewing media claims. If you are looking for fiber or antioxidants, chia seeds would be a great addition to your diet; but for weight loss, stick with good old exercise and healthy food choices!

-- www.nutrition.org
  • skinnyfoolish
    Options
    Debbiedebbiey, Can you give the amounts of the things you put in your protein shake? It sounds yummy.

Maripat
  • lheggie
    lheggie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    hi lixxielou,
    yes, i am on MFP trying to loose weight. however, eating a realistic, well balanced diet with lots of fibre, veg and fruit i consider to be of equal importance. therefore amidst all the chia influencing 'weight-loss' hype, i have found the green smoothie.
    http://www.lifelessbull****.com/green-smoothie/
    im sorry, but sprinkling these poppy like seeds across the top of my cereal or a salad leaves my tongue searching for that rogue seed between my front teeth. with the smoothies however, the seeds are somewhat broken down. i feel full, i know ive consumed a large portion of my required fruit and veg intake for the day and boy o boy, a lot of...you guessed it fibre! chia may or may not deserve its 'superfood' acclaim but i notice i feel satisfied for so much longer when i add them to my smoothies. and you know what that means...less pantry visits for the nasty naughties ;)
    p.s. experimenting with spices has made the smoothies even better!
    http://www.womansday.com/food-recipes/cooking-tips-shortcuts/surprising-healing-benefits-of-spices-107253
    (not the most reputable source, but a good start nonetheless)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    they make great pets and hair!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKE2X_JUv6JRp0HFAYruegCDB7QjJZkSDmQPzKh-GAtwRR6SfX