Actual miles run on elliptical

Options
So, I prefer elliptical/cross trainer since it's easier on my joints and I get shin splints. But I seem to get faster miles on it as compared to the treadmill. I mostly walk on treadmill, averaging 3.5 mph, same as walking outside. A mile walking to gym takes me roughly 20 minutes, on the treadmill it's about 16 minutes at my best to do a mile.

But I get a mile done on the elliptical in around 8 minutes. I have noticed that on the elliptical I actually run the entire time, or rather swing lol. I'm wondering if this sounds right or should I round it down. Does anyone know how true the miles are on ellipticals? I'd like to count them seeing as how I did 4 miles yesterday but if it's drastically wrong then I need to change my routine.

Should say I did 4 miles (supposedly) in 30 minutes yesterday on elliptical.

Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• butlera8
    butlera8 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    A mile is a mile. Your time is probably faster due to less impact on your body.
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    I would like some feedback on this also. I seem to go at a much faster pace on the elliptical also, not as fast as an 8 minute mile but you're doing great if that's your pace. I increase my incline and resistance and it keeps me at a 13:35 mile pace which is right in line with what I do when I jog outside and on the treadmill.
    Sorry if this isn't much help.
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    I cannot really help you.
    At my gym, they changed machines and brand a few months ago. On the new elliptical, I find that I do less kms than on the old one, when I'm on it the same length of time.
    I stopped wondering about distance and only consider calories burnt by checking my HRM.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The miles might be correct based on its measured stride length time number of rotations, but you cannot compare it to a treadmill as the machine is doing a lot of the work (much like ridding a bike). It probably falls somewhere between running and biking.

Of course you can go faster on a bike than running for 10K, and you don't compare, well I can ride at 15MPH on the bike, but only 8MPH on a treadmill, in the same way you shouldn't compare elliptical to the treadmill speeds/distance for a given time. The best to do is compare elliptical millage to elliptical millage over time. should either get further or finish the same distance faster than previously given the same level of effort.
  • magentamorbid
    magentamorbid Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I set my resistance up and do programs, usually gluteal or interval. I'm more bothered about distance as I'm doing the 50+ miles challenge this month, but that's a personal goal. I'd like to say I did 4 miles yesterday and 1 walking home.

Unless someone tells me it is vastly different, then I'll log it as is. Thank you for the responses.
  • magentamorbid
    Options
    The miles might be correct based on its measured stride length time number of rotations, but you cannot compare it to a treadmill as the machine is doing a lot of the work (much like ridding a bike). It probably falls somewhere between running and biking.

Of course you can go faster on a bike than running for 10K, and you don't compare, well I can ride at 15MPH on the bike, but only 8MPH on a treadmill, in the same way you shouldn't compare elliptical to the treadmill speeds/distance for a given time.

Good point, I guess you can't really compare two different machines like that. Thank you.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I set my resistance up and do programs, usually gluteal or interval. I'm more bothered about distance as I'm doing the 50+ miles challenge this month, but that's a personal goal. I'd like to say I did 4 miles yesterday and 1 walking home.

Unless someone tells me it is vastly different, then I'll log it as is. Thank you for the responses.

Why not bike and get your entire month in in 2-3 days then. As I mentioned 1 mile on an elliptical is the same in distance as a treadmill, but not equal in the amount of work actually done.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Elliptical machines don't move - actual miles is therefore zero.
    You could turn the resistance right up and do less "miles" or turn resistance right down and do loads of easy "miles" in the same time - a pointless comparison really.

Better off measuring your effort in watts or estimated calories.
  • magentamorbid
    Options

Why not bike and get your entire month in in 2-3 days then. As I mentioned 1 mile on an elliptical is the same in distance as a treadmill, but not equal in the amount of work actually done.

I don't really like cycling lol. Totally personal thing and the only bikes we have at gym are the laid back kind. Don't feel like I'm anything other than stretching my legs. I don't have my own bike either, I get saddle sore easily. :P
  • magentamorbid
    Options
    Elliptical machines don't move - actual miles is therefore zero.
    You could turn the resistance right up and do less "miles" or turn resistance right down and do loads of easy "miles" in the same time - a pointless comparison really.

Better off measuring your effort in watts or estimated calories.

I do see your point but I'm still moving, still counts to me. I'll check the watts today but I don't know anything about them :P
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I run, use the elliptical and bike, I would say to use a HRM and continue to pushing yourself on each piece of equipment based on fatigue and you’re HR.
  • airant
    airant Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Of course you can go faster on a bike than running for 10K, and you don't compare, well I can ride at 15MPH on the bike, but only 8MPH on a treadmill, in the same way you shouldn't compare elliptical to the treadmill speeds/distance for a given time. The best to do is compare elliptical millage to elliptical millage over time. should either get further or finish the same distance faster than previously given the same level of effort.

Agree