a bad wreck

Options
So I had a bad wreck. I hydroplaned and hit a pickup truck head on. I am blessed to be alive without head, spinal, or internal injury. But I have a crushed left femur, fractured right tibia, and fractured right foot. Yes, two broken legs. Had surgery on femur and foot. I am wheel chair bound, no weight bearing on either leg, for 8-12 weeks. trying to stay on track, eat very healthy and work hard at PT and OT. Want to come out of this better than before.

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    That is ROUGH! You can do this though! I am posting a link to my Success Story which indicates that I was able to maintain my weight through a lengthy illness and brain surgery. I ended up gaining a couple of pounds during recovery, but they're off now.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/918358-they-cut-my-head-open-your-excuse-is-invalid
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Wow! You have a tough road ahead, it sounds like, but you can do it!
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Aw, so sorry :( That is rough indeed, & I'm sending good thoughts to you :( Hang in there!!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Wow. Sorry you had the wreck and you've got such a difficult route before you. But it sounds like you've got a plan. Good luck and strength to you.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Bloody nora - glad you are alive and here to tell us the tale! I hope you can concentrate on proper rest and rehab and you'll be back on your way in no time. X
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I broke my fibula a few years ago and was on crutches for 4 weeks and I lost 25 pounds because of the physical work it took to use the crutches. I was at my max weight at the time though but don’t be surprised if you lose weight from you’re the physical changes you’re facing.
  • ShrimpMe
    ShrimpMe Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Wowzers!!! Prayers and blessings being sent your way.:heart:
  • exmsde
    exmsde Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

One reason behind my weight loss/fitness push is that I know I'll eventually need foot/ankle surgery that will leave me non weight-bearing for 6 weeks. Been there, done that, totally regretted how much more difficult my poor fitness made my recovery. Amongst my regrets was that I didn't use my convalescence as a way to focus myself overall on my health. Watching my diet, focusing on upper body strength when I couldn't do anything on my feet, and ultimately really treating physical therapy as a way to bootstrap physical fitness would all have helped me in both recovery and long term health.

I hope when you look back a few years from now this accident will just be a speed bump on the way to where you want to go.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I was in a really bad car accident in college. Also hydroplaned, hit a guard rail head on doing about 80MPH, and had two other cars hit me in the aftermath. I don't have workout-specific advice, but I did want to tell you to get some counseling for your accident, even if you don't think you need it - I still have "car accident dreams" (7 years later) and have been diagnosed with PTSD partly stemming from the accident.

My only advice to you would be to take care of yourself physically, don't push too much, and take care of the mental side as well. Keep up with your rehab work, make proper food choices, and let every part of you heal. Best wishes for a speedy recovery :)
  • shrimpydoo
    shrimpydoo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Wow! This is a horrible thing to happen to you, but what a wonderful thing to come out alive PLUS still focused! You are already a winner in my books. I know the hurdle may be more challenging than before your accident, so take care of yourself and everything else will fall into place. Get well!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    congrats on making it out alive.. you can do this. take care of yourself first. be gentle with yourself.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    You have a tough road ahead but you can do it.

I was in a car accident back in 2007, the truck landed on my right arm, broke it in 2, bone was sticking out of my arm. I was told I would be lucky to gain 40% back but wasn't expected to gain more then 20% back. I've regained 80% back. I was told I would never be able to put pressure on my arm, cart wheels, push up's, planks and the things like this.

I do all those now. I know these are 2 different injuries but just trying to shed some light :)
  • wannabe1959
    wannabe1959 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    thank you all for the encouragement. I will be wheelchair bound for the full 12 weeks. I am hanging in there. This week is number 6 so I am halfway there!
  • zombie_meg
    zombie_meg Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    No advice but big hugs! I hope for a speedy recovery.
  • DaRealMcKoy
    DaRealMcKoy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You'll probably burn some calories in PT, they make you work. :smile:
  • V0lver
    V0lver Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Aw, so sorry :( That is rough indeed, & I'm sending good thoughts to you :( Hang in there!!

this^
  • wannabe1959
    wannabe1959 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I was feeling a little down today so I went back and read all the sweet replies to my situation. I am 6 months out now. I was wheelchair bound for 12 weeks. Then I could only hop around on the right leg for another 6 weeks. Then started progressive partial weight bearing on that pesky crushed left femur. The left leg was immobilized for so long in a straight position that now I am having to work hard to increase the flexion. I have gone from 25 degrees to 80. Getting there. But with the aggressive PT, we discovered I also have a torn meniscus in that knee that is causing great pain. So, another surgery is planned for April 10th. Yes, this has been a long road and Im not quite to the end yet. I am hoping to be back at work by May 1st. I have managed to maintain good nutrition. I have increased protein intake for healing. I was at 180 lbs when I had my accident and now I am at 165 lbs. So still heading the right direction while maintaining good nutrition and healing. My daughter said "you are probably the only person that could sit for 6 months and still lose weight!"
  • desimia1
    desimia1 Posts: 60
    Options
    Wow! I am so glad you here and are able to share. You got this. 6-8 Weeks is a flash in the pan and you will be back on your feet before you know it. Dont Get Discouraged, You can do this!
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    That is such great news to hear you're healing and will get that meniscus fixed next week. Good luck with the surgery. Yes, your daughter is right. How proud you should be to actually lose 15 pounds during your convalescence! Congratulations and keep your eye on the prize. You're going the right direction :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!