HELP!! What am I doing wrong?

Options
I have been using MFP for about two weeks now... but my weight loss seems to be at a stand still already!?! I am staying under calories, trying to limit carbs and exercise. I just can't figure it out. I have quite a bit of weight to lose so I don't think I should be at a plateau this early. I have changed my diary settings to open- so please take a look and offer any suggestions/tips. I am not going to give up but this sure is frustrating!

Replies

• Janae0221
    Janae0221 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I should add that in the past I have been a chronic/fad dieter and have resorted to extremely low calories, diet pills, etc. to lose. I am fearful that I have "damaged" my metabolism.
  • prat27
    prat27 Posts: 73
    Options
    I doubt it but even if you did...a caloric deficit and exercise will eventually take over. I promise you. We all fade in and out its normal don't get down on yourself. I find that typically after 2 weeks of discipline your body gets right and "it" starts to happen. Be patient.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    How did you come to the 1270 daily calorie goal? I noticed that you're eating 900 or so calories a day. If you truly are logging correctly and accurately, why are you not eating your total allotment of 1270? Are you wearing a HRM during your exercise?

ETA: I noticed one day where you logged roughly 600 calories. Are you logging everything you eat? I would pass out if that was all I ate.
  • s3girl
    s3girl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Don't resort to super low calories. It'll just leave you hungry and wanting to binge. You should be shifting your eating habits to something you can live with for the long haul. So, you aren't "dieting," you're making a life change. After looking at your food diary, try shifting more of your calories to fat & protein instead of net carbs (total carbs minus fiber). Remember, two weeks in isn't a whole lot of time for your body to adjust.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    you probably just need to be more patient. It's only been 2 weeks. Most people will see a relatively large weight loss early (water weight), then nothing before they settle into what will be their normal rate of progress.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    you probably just need to be more patient. It's only been 2 weeks. Most people will see a relatively large weight loss early (water weight), then nothing before they settle into what will be their normal rate of progress.

Yes, this too. When it has been months of not losing ANYTHING, then something is up. Just remember, even if it's a little weight loss, it's still weight loss. :-)
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I doubt you seriously damaged your metabolism as it takes years for that to develop. In looking at your diary though it seems that you are consistently under your calorie goal by a couple hundred calories every day. The fact that you usually burn an extra couple hundred calories on top of that with exercise means you are eating a lot less than you should be. You should be eating at least 1200 plus half (if not all) of your exercise calories every day, so average at least 1300 every day. Don't think of this number as a limit that you can't go over, try to think of it as the bulls-eye on a target that you want to hit every day.

Now, if you aren't logging everything then there is also the possibility that you are eating more than you think. If that is the case I would say make sure to log EVERYTHING including condiments and make sure you weigh or measure everything that does not come in a pre-portioned size so you can be sure of the calorie content. Don't guess.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    You are eating foods that are high in sodium & sugar... Add me as a friend and check out my meals, losing bodyfat is 90% diet, you have to clean yours up. Workouts have to be hardcore , push yourself ....:flowerforyou:
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    First, it's been 2 weeks. Stop thinking anything is going to "work" quickly. If it's working, it's not quick. And since that is the case, don't go from whatever you were eating to under 1000 calories/day. Your body is just doing what it was designed to do: store fat when there's plenty and preserve itself when there's a famine.

Stop creating famine-like conditions for your body.

Set a more reasonable target. It is unlikely you are sedentary. Set your MFP lifestyle factor to "lightly active" and your goal to lose 1 lb per week. Then eat at the target it gives you. Then when you exercise, add that in and (if and when you are hungry and/or doing huge amounts of exercise) eat some or all of the calories back.

You will lose 1 lb/week without noticing that you are restricting much.

It is easier. It is slow. It is permanent.
  • h_jeffrey
    h_jeffrey Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    A quick glance at your food log makes it look like you're seriously undershooting your calories. You need to feed your body in order for it to work properly. As others have said, you need to hit your calorie goal for the day (with the exception of all the exercise calories, unless you feel you need them - hungry, etc.). Also, try to get your macros from REAL foods - meats, beans, veggies, fruits, etc. Sure, protein bars/shakes are great in a pinch but real foods are the best things to fuel your body!

Give it time - you didn't put it on in two weeks, you can't expect it to come off in two weeks. Good luck!
  • Janae0221
    Janae0221 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am definitely measuring and logging everything. I think the 600 calories was net, after my exercise. I didn't think that I had ever went below 900-1000 cals. a day. There were a few days when the scale stop moving that I did try to reduce my calories a bit. The 1270 # was based on MFP's calculations. In the past, I have subscribed to less is better and if I am not hungry, I don't eat- even if I have calories left. Maybe this is the problem?
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I'm not sure you are tracking accurately and that could be a big part of the problem. You very possibly could be eating way more calories then what you think.

There are several different days where you have recipes listed that do not look to be your own. I know people will share their recipes so people can use them, however, you cannot see what is included in those recipes so it is hard to know if you what you ate is what is actually in that recipe. I know it is time consuming, but you should consider building your own recipe database for accuracy, it is part of the MFP program, and it has been very eye-opening for me!

Make sure you weigh everything and are honest about what you are eating... sometimes it's quite surprising once you weight and measure every thing.

I highly recommend taking some time and read through the links below, they really helped me realize what I was doing wrong:

Setting Your Calorie and Macro Targets

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1058378-oh-noes-i-am-eating-below-my-bmr

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1072049-thoughts-on-tdee-calculators-and-switching-from-mfp-to-tdee

Exercise calories

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

Logging accuracy

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Best of luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am definitely measuring and logging everything. I think the 600 calories was net, after my exercise. I didn't think that I had ever went below 900-1000 cals. a day. There were a few days when the scale stop moving that I did try to reduce my calories a bit. The 1270 # was based on MFP's calculations. In the past, I have subscribed to less is better and if I am not hungry, I don't eat- even if I have calories left. Maybe this is the problem?

Are you prepared to eat 900-1000 calories/day for the rest of your life? Realistically, will you manage that? If not, don't do it now.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I'm a lot like you. Fad diet....low carb, low cal, meal replacement, everything I did was keeping me below 1200 calories a day. I'm 5'11 with about 50# to lose, so obviously <1200 calories was ridiculous. I've done a lot of reading here and read about how I've most likely slowed my metabolism, making it think I'm going through some sort of famine, so to preserve itself, it's slowed down the rate and the methods which it burns energy. Totally understandable. Our bodies don't know we are unhappy with our weight. They just know that food used to be coming in, and now it's not.

So what did I do? I started eating properly. I regularly eat ~1800 calories a day, of whole grains, lean meats, low/no fat dairy, you get the drift. I rarely eat out, and when I do, I'm super picky about where we go and what I order (and then bug out because I know I can't accurately log what I've eaten, which is why I rarely eat out). I wear a BodyBug to track my calorie output, which is consistently at around 2800 calories a day. I walk 5 miles a day to get that number, because I have a sit-down job and needed to get active.

What's all this done for me? I've put on 7# in the last month. :( BUT..... I know that with the slowing of my metabolism, my body is just gearing up for another 'famine'. It's doing what I've trained it to do. I've probably lost a substantial amount of muscle mass throughout all these low calorie diets, too. Not so smart. Sadly, understanding what is happening, and understanding that it's going to take some time to undo the havoc I've done to myself in search of a quick fix, all of that knowledge doesn't make me any less frustrated. Doesn't make me feel any better about myself, and it sure the hell doesn't motivate me to keep on keepin' on in the hopes of it all turning around one day and the weight will start coming off. That being said, I'm keepin' on keepin' on, I'm not going to panic like I always do and revert back to some ridiculous restriction diet. What AM i doing?

I've signed up for MMA classes with my husband for a variety in exercise. I'm starting (tonight, actually), small group fitness classes at the same gym I'm doing MMA, and I'm hiring my trainer on as my nutritionist to help guide me through the physical and nutritional needs for my body. Not feasible for everyone, I suppose, but I tend to do a lot better under professional guidance. Left to my own devices, I tend to make stupid mistakes.

Look into your insurance coverage. With 150# to lose, I'd be very surprised if they didn't cover some sort of help for you. I know my insurance covers visits with a registered dietician, so it's definitely something to look into. And of course, log log log, log what you eat, be honest with yourself and your food log. If that means having to prepare simple dishes so you don't have to guesstimate how much of each ingredient you got out of that one-pot meal (I'm a sucker for chili and casseroles, but it's so hard to calculate what exactly you've eaten!), then so be it. You've got to get an accurate measurement of what you are putting in your mouth so you can come up with an accurate deficit to shoot for. Oh, and apparently 'major muscle group' weight training helps as well. Get yourself a kettlebell and learn the basic exercises you can do with it.

Between the guidance I'm getting from my trainer, the group classes I'll be attending 2x/week, my TRX and kettlebell training I'll be doing at home, on top of my 5 miles/day, I certainly expect to be making a much different post here in a month. :)

Good luck to you!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    First, it's been 2 weeks. Stop thinking anything is going to "work" quickly. If it's working, it's not quick. And since that is the case, don't go from whatever you were eating to under 1000 calories/day. Your body is just doing what it was designed to do: store fat when there's plenty and preserve itself when there's a famine.

Stop creating famine-like conditions for your body.

Set a more reasonable target. It is unlikely you are sedentary. Set your MFP lifestyle factor to "lightly active" and your goal to lose 1 lb per week. Then eat at the target it gives you. Then when you exercise, add that in and (if and when you are hungry and/or doing huge amounts of exercise) eat some or all of the calories back.

You will lose 1 lb/week without noticing that you are restricting much.

It is easier. It is slow. It is permanent.

Yes. I would set it to lightly active or moderately active and stop logging carrying the baby or cleaning as exercise. Unless you are wearing a heart rate monitor while doing these things, there's no way to accurately know how much that burns. Take some time to do some strenuous exercise. With kids, I know it can be hard. Thirty minutes of pushing yourself, and I mean REALLY pushing yourself, is all you need to start. Wear a heart rate monitor while doing it too. :-)
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options

You eat back at least half of the exercise calories. This is how MFP is designed. If you aren't hungry eating less than 1000 calories a day, there could very well be some metabolic damage (slowed it, I guess!)

Eat. Give it time.
  • bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what kind of "damage" you have done to your metabolism, its highly likely that its not enough to cancel out your weight loss efforts.

Log accurately.
    Every day.
    Eat at the recommended deficit.
    lose weight.

Dont over estimate work out calories, even an HRM can be incredibly wrong. Figure that the average person working at a fairly high intensity will burn between 6-10 calories per minute. So if you are working out for 30 minutes and think you are burning 1000 cals, you are probably incorrect.

Eat less calories than your body needs and you will lose weight. Figure out your TDEE and subtract 20%. Eat that, ignore excercise calories, and watch the pounds drop.

Science is science. I wish people wouldnt make it so complicated.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I doubt it but even if you did...a caloric deficit and exercise will eventually take over. I promise you. We all fade in and out its normal don't get down on yourself. I find that typically after 2 weeks of discipline your body gets right and "it" starts to happen. Be patient.

LOL As I was typing my 40-page monologue, this popped in. Much more succinct :D
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

Well, eating less than you burn will make you lose weight. But like another poster said, don't eat less than 1000 calories unless you are prepared to eat that the rest of your life. If you're are scared that eating more calories will make you gain, spend those extra calories eating healthy choices.
  • Knsclptr30
    Options
    What is your current weight and body fat percentage? Remember the key to total daily energy requirements is your lean body mass and bodyfat percentage not your body weight necessarily.