Transition from Body Weight squats to Barbell Squats

Options
So I am moving on from Body Weight squats to Barbell Squats and I would like advice on technique. I know a body weight squat looks a lot different from a barbell squat.
How should my posture be (which way to point my knees and feet) and how do I hold my dumbbells while I get enough strength to lift the bar?

Replies

• kon_e3
    kon_e3 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    First of all I assume you don't mean dumbbells but rather a barbell. Your feet should be pointed straight at a closer to shoulder width. Don't be afraid to stick your butt out when you squat down. Also a general rule is do not have your knees go past your toes and have your feet flat at all times.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Keep your feet flat but your weight on your heels, shoulder length apart, back straight and head facing forward.

Start by squatting just the bar until you're use to it
  • FizikallyFit
    FizikallyFit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice.

If I don't have a bar, can I use dumbbells until I can afford one?
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    bump for reference
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    If you use dumbbells, I used to before the gym, put them in your hands and cross your arms...that's just how I used to do them
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    First of all I assume you don't mean dumbbells but rather a barbell. Your feet should be pointed straight at a closer to shoulder width. Don't be afraid to stick your butt out when you squat down. Also a general rule is do not have your knees go past your toes and have your feet flat at all times.

^ Good advice here.

I just started doing squats as well and read you should keep your feet around 12" apart from each other and pointing straight out, not in or out at all as this puts additional stress on your knees. I've been using dumbbells since that's all I have at home at the moment and I just let them hang down and do the squats. With the barbell I believe you rest it across your back and shoulders below your neck and keep your butt out and back straight as you go down and come up. I found a lot of helpful videos on youtube as well.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    If I don't have a bar, can I use dumbbells until can afford one?

Goblet squats are a great place to start. This looks like a decent demonstration of a goblet squat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaQPfi8f27E
  • FizikallyFit
    FizikallyFit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the videos guys they are very helpful. I notice the guy in the goblet squat really has his knees pointed outward, is there a difference if they are pointed straight vs outward in reference to what muscle is worked? *kitten* vs thighs?
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Ugn, where do people read this crap.

Your feet can be whatever distance apart that you want them to be. As long as your toes, knees and hips are in alignment throughout the lift.

Knees past toes is perfectly fine as well. As long as the above is followed and your back and shins stay somewhat parallel.

Follow the posts above advice and you will save your knees at the expense of blowing out your back from having to good morning every rep.

Edit: to the op. Bodyweight and barbell squats should be no different technique wise. If they are then you're doing something wrong. And to answer your question about feet, you can slightly change which muscle is primary driver depending in foot stance, but it's not worth worrying about unless you are an elite lifter. Do what feels most comfortable to you.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I notice the guy in the goblet squat really has his knees pointed outward, is there a difference if they are pointed straight vs outward

Yes, there's a big difference. One way protects your back and knees from injury, and the other ensures you won't be able to go deep enough to target glutes/hamstrings/inner thighs. I'd suggest you pick up the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe - and search YouTube for his name to check out some of his demo videos.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the videos guys they are very helpful. I notice the guy in the goblet squat really has his knees pointed outward, is there a difference if they are pointed straight vs outward in reference to what muscle is worked? *kitten* vs thighs?

Goblet squats more closely mimic front squats than back squats and are more quad than posterior chain (Glutes, hamstrings etc). Front squatting you're more likely to have a narrower stance and feet more straight forward than a back squat.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Re adapting barbell exercises to dumbbells, here's a thread you may find useful.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/902569-barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Edit: to the op. Bodyweight and barbell squats should be no different technique wise. If they are then you're doing something wrong. And to answer your question about feet, you can slightly change which muscle is primary driver depending in foot stance, but it's not worth worrying about unless you are an elite lifter. Do what feels most comfortable to you.

I have to disagree. Bodyweight, goblet, dumbbell, and barbell squats all have different centers of gravity, and thus the form is altered to keep that center of gravity balanced properly. Also, foot positioning ought to be wide enough for your hips to sink between your thighs at the least, and foot angle should match your thigh angle (toes and knees pointing in same direction) to protect the knees.

When I am teaching anyone how to start barbell squatting, I generally start off by having them crouch down as low as they can without any weight to worry about, *kitten* to calves, arms between knees. From there, stand up and look at your feet. They will probably be about where you want them to squat. Going wider won't hurt anything if you feel more stable that way.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Feet straight or at (up to) a 45 degree angle is completely personal preference/comfort.