Jucing

Options
What is everyone's take on jucing? I've done TONS of research over the last month or so on it after watching a film on netfilx and where as I don't think it's a way of life, I think that unlike Slim Fast shakes, some protien shakes and other meal substitues jucing doesn't give you all the fillers you get (Like sugar and carbs). I've also seen in some of my research where it works best if you do a 5-10 fast then impliment solid veggies/fruits/soy/chicken/egg whites back into your diet you're body isn't still craving the processed junk that Slim Fast has in it. I did slim fast/protien shake meal substitution for a while and where as it worked for me once I quit subsituting the shakes i balloned again. From what I can see if you get a doctors ok to do a jucing diet it's the best type of reset there is. You're body stops craving the processed sugars and junk that are still in the shakes and you really do retrain your brain to eat more veggies/fruits once you are off the juice. I've tried jucies before at friends homes who SWEAR by them, and I've see a buddy of mine drop 80lbs by utilizing jucing. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Lindaendall
    Lindaendall Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    One of my pals on here has just done a couple of weeks on juicing and has lost a significant amount of weight. She is very happy with it and feels confident to keep going a bit longer. I am sure she will pick up this post from my newsfeed and she may get back to you to give you some ideas, I know she has been making some very tasty juices!!

Good luck

Linda:drinker:
  • gem6885
    Options
    There are about 100 threads on juicing on the board. The consensus seems to be that juicing is no good. Eat right and eat less calories than you burn.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Juice is full of sugar, and there is no chemical difference between "processed sugar" and plain old sugar. Juice also has no protein, fiber or any number of other really important nutrients, and it is highly acidic.

If I had to guess, you ballooned after you went off the shakes because you never had to learn to eat a balanced diet, so you hit goal and went back to the behaviors that made you overweight before.

Please consider just taking it slow and steady, counting your calories, and watching your macros to learn how to eat the right amount of the right stuff.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Juice has protein and dietary fiber. Sheesh. But you know that already because you did your research.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Your body will stop craving processed crap as much if you just go to a whole foods diet, doesn't have to be juicing, but juicing is a good way to add nutrients into your diet without eating tons and tons of fruit. It makes it easier to get in those servings. I actually just got a juicer today. I already have smoothies for breakfast but I am thinking about making my own juice and putting them in my smoothies or just having them for breakfast instead. I will be able to get far more nutrients into my breakfast by making my own juice. You just can't fit too much into a smoothie whole.
  • jigglewiggles
    jigglewiggles Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I love juicing. Now, I don't do the juice fasts because I like to eat, so I just incorporate juicing into my everyday life. I also eat fruits and veggies, but I've been trying to juice once a day. I like it because it helps me to get the vitamins and nutrients from veggies that I don't really care to eat, like ginger and carrots, kale, celery. When I juice, I try to incorporate just one fruit to mask the taste of the veggies, because I'd rather eat my fruit. But, juicing is great, I love it.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    The only people that talk *kitten* on juicing are those that have never really done it. It will make you feel so great, that you will be perplexed at the people that cry out against it. Juicing is one of the best things I ever did. I so need to get back at it...
  • ponceleth
    Options
    I have looking into trying this as well for a detox. My understanding is that it is all natural, so unless you add sugar, you should not have any processed garbage in your system when you are done. My only fear is that I won't feel full enough and that my calorie intake will not be high enough. I am currently doing the Insanity workout and want to make sure that I am not starving myself.
  • JGT2004
    JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    "I have looking into trying this as well for a detox. My understanding is that it is all natural, so unless you add sugar, you should not have any processed garbage in your system when you are done. My only fear is that I won't feel full enough and that my calorie intake will not be high enough. I am currently doing the Insanity workout and want to make sure that I am not starving myself. "

I would recommend you don't do it if you are doing Insanity, unless you are just wanting to add a juice into your normal diet. If you do a juice fast you WILL NOT get enough calories in to support your activity level with exercise. I tried a 3 day juice fast not too long ago and found some juices I plan to incorporate in my regular diet as a way to get more greens in but it was hard. You will be hungry and more tired if you are working out. I know I was just craving something to crunch on or chew by the middle of the second day and didn't have the energy to exercise. I won't be doing it again.
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Juicing: For the record I supplement my diet with approx 30 oz of fresh veg/fruit juice daily, & have done so for approx 7 mos.

The reason I juice is too consume larger amounts of nutrients found in VEGETABLES & fruits, without having to keep a large produce section on me wherever I go. The benefits I have found with juicing have been a decrease in medications, sweet & salty junk food cravings, & restless nights. I have found an increase in attention span, greater endurance, and faster muscle recovery.

I got interested in juicing when when I started to read about what food manufacturers put into food to maintain it's shelf life. After researching the results of those chemicals I started to make an effort to reduce my intake of "processed" foods, and eat more foods that came from the outer edges of the grocery store. Most of the benefits I have found while juicing could probably be found by eating more FRESH fruits & vegetables. However, I work full time in an office, am a full time student & have 3 kids. Everything I eat comes from a container, & it usually is with me in a cooler from the time I leave the house in the morning. To get in my daily dose of VEGETABLES & fruits, I juice 2 bundles of kale, a bundle of spinach, 1 beet, 4 carrots, 1 bundle of cilantro, oranges & 1 apple. This usually makes 64 oz of juice & has a shelf life of 48 hrs. Since there are no additives, and the juice is unpasteurized, after 48hrs the juice is waste. For health reasons...I just pitch mine.

Speaking of waste, the pulp..I pitch it. Since I started juicing I have stopped taking allergy & ADHD meds without a single incident. The $ I save of meds more than covers what I "waste" in unused fruit pulp from fruit I never would have had time to eat.

My fresh juice does contain sugar. But the level of sugar intake I have when juicing is less than the normal recommended daily intake.

Like any other supplement, juicing needs to be combined with a well balanced diet & exercise plan to get the optimum results.

Some of the best tips i got were to be creative. If it sounds good, throw it in & give it a try. Look @ sale flyers, sometimes what's in my juice is dictated by what was on sale. Kale/carrots/apples are great fillers. Citrus fruit is great for antioxidants & covering up the bitter taste of many veggies.

If I can help please let me kwow.

ENJOY!!
  • i definitely recommend juicing in itself but not juicing as a reset or as a fast. i juice daily, due to a medical condition, to get my fruits and veggies in and i love it. i'd recommend it as a single meal replacement (i juice for breakfast) rather than doing an entire juice fast. IMO it is not healthy to cut out any entire food group. drs might say a juice fast is the best one probably because fasting itself (not talking about religious fasting of course) is hard on the body and juicing replinishes vitamins and nutrients. but you also have to understand that nutritional advice is as varied as religious beliefs and the drs who recommend certain diets/fasts/etc have their own reasons for agreeing with it. one dr might recommend a juice fast while another discourages it. EX: my MIL had to take an antibiotic 4x a day and her dr recommended her to eat yogurt before each pill...i couldnt believe that a dr would recommend that! dairy increases mucus production and lessens the effectiveness of the immune system so why you would say a person who is taking an antibiotic should eat that much dairy was baffling to me.

if you want to juice fast then you're going to do it regardless of what people on here say. yes, you can lose weight quickly, but how long will it stay off once you eat solids again? my advice would be to juice for the added nutirion, not to lose weight.