Need fashion advice...

Options
lessjess1
lessjess1 Posts: 71 Member
Now that I'm losing weight and feeling better about myself, I need to start dressing better. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to fashion, so I need some help. Do you consider yourself to be fashion forward? If yes, and you don't mind teaching a few things to a beginner, please respond to this post. Thank you :)

Replies

• MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    You can watch a couple episodes of WHAT NOT TO WEAR. they are probably online somewhere. Personally, i wear gym pants and a tshirt all the time - occasionally some jeans - so I am not a good one to listen to ;)
  • worldtravelgirl98
    Options
    Hello :) I wouldn't call myself a fashioniesta or any such thing, but I thought maybe I could offer a little help anyway. Lately, I have been researching facial shape for best haircut, and body shape for best clothing fit. If I were you, I would start by finding out what body shape you are and find out what clothing flatters that type. You can find this information with a little internet research on body shapes. Also, try to figure out what clothes look good on you, maybe by asking the advice of a friend or 2. Anyway, hope this helps.
  • gogospice
    gogospice Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I make most of my own clothes, because then I can make them custom for my own body, and I know what looks good on me. It depends a lot on your lifestyle, and your body shape. Different styles flatter different figures.
  • nroesler
    Options
    I agree...I found a website for you to check out...
    http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/whatnottowear/fashion_tips/

i am by no means a fashionista but I am now dressing a body that is dramatically different than the one i had a few months ago. It is so exciting!!! I just had to go and buy some new work clothes and was shocked to find I looked great in things I never even would have tried on before. I also bought my first pair of skinny jeans. My advice...try, try try and if possible get sales people to help, know your shape before you leave and bring an honest friend you trust. goos luck and have fun!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    You need a pair of dark wash, boot cut, (curvy, not skinny) jeans! Forever classic, long and lengthening, dressed up or down.
    This is my best advice! Nothing feels better than good fitting jeans and they don't have to be really expensive. I have many pairs and my current favorites I got at Old Navy. I choose them over my spendy designer jeans all the time.
    Yay, new clothes! I hope you shrink out of them soon!

BTW-- I'm not knocking skinny jeans, (like those too!) but my best advice is a curvy boot cut.
  • Cawen
    Cawen Posts: 8
    Options
    I swear I'm not shilling for them, but there's a site called covet.com that helps you determine your personal style (by showing you comparisons of outfits, coats, shoes, etc. and ask "do you prefer A or B"). Then, they determine your basic style (mine was "sporty/casual" or something like that) and send you emails (of course) of stuff you can buy in your size. You can further refine by saying "love it" or "hate it". I think the idea is called preference filtering or something like that. Anyway, this has helped me quite a lot.
  • jENNiP125
    Options
    I agree, watch a few episodes of What not to Wear, you will learn a lot. I think it's all about good fitting clothes and accessories. The goal is a nice silhouette, (check the mirror from for a side and back view!) Bad fitting clothes ruins this. Don't get hung up on size--walk around, sit down etc. in pants especially before you buy. Make sure to buy pieces that are interchangeable, and classic. For example, when I buy a shirt, I make sure it will go with more than just one outfit, and that it's something I can see myself wearing for more than one season. If you have outfits that you find yourself wearing all the time, try taking those pieces and mixing them up or adding accessories-- like a belt or stack of bracelets. Remember it's okay to wear colors/accessories that contrast! Have fun and enjoy your hard work!! :)
  • alysen2012
    Options
    Try to dress by what type of body type you are. If you have curves so them off and be proud of them since it took you awhile to get them. But always remember to be confortable. I learn that when going shopping to by 1 size up and 1 size down from what i am because then you have a couple of things that are to small and that is your next goal to get into those jeans but if you fit into the 1 size up it might be from something that day and you are retaining some water weight somewhere. Hope this helps.