Fitbit Flex vs. One Review

Options

Replies

• scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I have the One, as does my 14-year old son and both my parents. I got the Flex for my 17-year old ... that style was better for him.

As for the sleep function ... a couple notes. You can switch the it to "sensitive" and see if that is a closer reflection to your night. Another thing I have noticed, is that the sleep data given in the new dashboard (with the tiles) is a little different than if you go into the LOG/SLEEP section ... where the dashboard says I was only awake a couple times (but very restless), the SLEEP section will show much more awake time (all that "restless" time shows here as awake) ... so just a couple things to consider. I'm not saying the sleep tracker is that accurate still, but ... I actually really like it just to keep track of the TIMES I go to sleep and wake up. I've noticed I'm sleeping in a lot more this summer. That will have to stop as school starts up soon.
  • scretwitch
    Options
    I'm finding the same thing you are. But mine is under calculating my steps. I paired it with a basic pedometer and walked the dog a mile. The pedometer showed 1329 steps, but the fitbit flex only showed 638. I do tend to change hands holding the leash, the leash-holding hand tends to not move (I'm prepared should she see a bunny and try and lunge) so the movement isn't there. I think I might return the Flex and try the one. I think if I do as you suggested, and clip it to my bra - I won't forget to take it off and throw it in the wash by accident!

Thanks for your experimentations!
  • kazlee66
    kazlee66 Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks for the update!

I've got the Fitbit One on my Wish List but I keep hoping someone will come out with something similar that also tracks exercise other than walking, like weight training and cycling. I don't want to need multiple devices in order to get the whole picture.

Try Amiigo, it does reps and sets and has been set to pick up things like that. It has a foot clip as part of it too.
  • kazlee66
    kazlee66 Posts: 25
    Options
    A few points in FAVOR of the Flex -
    I don't ever have to worry about losing it. I very rarely take it off, and it is ok for water.
    The Flex settings can be changed for Dominant or NonDominant hand--accuracy is inherently linked to having it set up properly.
    And this is kinda goofy, I know, but I like that I can get different colored bands for my Flex.. I haven't yet, but I intend to.

I *like* that it's on my wrist. I don't have to think about it. I've had a couple of people think it's just a cool looking bracelet. I like telling people about my latest gadget.
    I like that I don't have to fish it out of my bra every time I want to look at it. (Bra does seem like a very good place for the One, I'll admit) If I don't have time to sync it to see where I'm at goal-wise, I double tap the bracelet and the 1 to 5 little lights works for me.

I have to agree with a previous poster - yes, you may have false "steps" if you are waving your arms around but not walking, but all movement creates caloric burn. I want points for the non-step movement, too.
    And I *LOVE* when the thing vibrates once I've hit my goal for the day! My Flex is cheering for me!

Fitbit's site does not recommend putting the Flex in a pocket. It is designed to be worn on the wrist.

Finally, it's like a scale. Your scale may have me 3 pounds heavier than mine. But at the end of the day, it is the TREND that is important. Is the scale going up or down? Same with the Flex; are you moving more than you did yesterday? If your answer is Yes, you are receiving the intended benefit.

Happy Stepping, everyone!

Love it, thanks made my decision now... I currently own a One, i want a flex. Gonna get one now :)
  • mcdonoughjl
    Options
    I love my fitbit flex. However I have had it now only 2 months and it quit working!! I have been trying to talk with the customer support to get it fixed... still not working!
  • orbital_hybrid
    Options
    How do you get the little weight tracker thingies? I have a myfitnesspal account!
  • 13ftw67
    13ftw67 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks my wife bought the flex and was sharing the total steps burned with me and I didn't agree with her numbers at all. The sad part was she believed the information was accurate and was upset that I would question her hard work. I never questioned the work I questioned the inaccuracy of the step calculation. I will share your post with her and see if we can still return the device. I use the Run keeper app when outdoors synced to MFP for MFP tracking of walk / run / bike distances.
  • chk7
    chk7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex but I hate that it doesn't register if I'm carrying stuff in my hands when walking. I'm going to return it tomorrow and get the fitbit one.

Oh, someone posted a while back that there was a groupon for brookstone that can be used to by the fitbit trackers. Well, that one expired, but I found a living social deal that is $25 for $50 worth of goods at Brookstone!
    https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/837282-50-to-spend-at-brookstone?ref=share-post_purchase-copy_box-web-deals&rui=27566370&rpi=132249474
  • nour_a
    nour_a Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post! I too am eyeing a fitbit device and have been leaning to the fitbit flex. After reading your post, and a few others, I'm definately going for the fitbit one! Thanks again ...
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    4 month update for all those still interested.

I have had the fitbit One for 18 weeks now. I started at 193 lbs the day I got it and am now down to 173 lbs. I love the tracking features and how it tallys my estimated cals burned so I can stick to my plan. I am still losing 1 lb a week by eating 500 cals less than I burn.

The only issue I have had with the FB One is my case broke. The clip part has a plastic end piece with the fitbit logo on it. This slips in to the clip to cover the end. My end piece came off and now there are 2 metal prongs exposed. Because I clip my FB to my bra, this seemed like a bad idea. I emailed FB and asked for a coupon code to buy a replacement from the site. They asked for a photo and my receipt and they would evaluate it to determine if they would send another at no charge. I just heard back that they are sending me the replacement this week.I have used this thing every day for 18 weeks so I was surprised that it was replaced so easily but that is what good customer service is about.

I have never had an issue with washing the FB like I thought I would because I unclip it as soon as I take the bra off and clip it to the next one or my clothes right away.

I dont use the sleep feature as I thought I might, mainly because I sleep so good anyway that I dont need to know how many times it thinks I woke up.

Still 100% happy with my purchase and see no reason why I would not use this everyday for the rest of my life. Even when I hit my goal weight as tracking cals in vs cals out is essential to me.

Thanks again to FB and MFP for making weight loss so easy for me.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    OP;

Your product "bake-off" seems to have been intelligently planned and executed! Kudos to ya'! :drinker:

Also, I bought my immediate and extended families fitbits. My younger brother is the only one that wanted the flex. He relishes in the fact he is beating me (step count leaderboard stuff) all the time. Your "experiment" gives me the ammunition I need to counter his "taunts". (pssst......even with the difference in the recording tools, I know he is still beating me.......but don't tell him that :ohwell: )
  • bfjgreen
    Options
    Great post, thanks for taking the time to write up your findings. I own a Flex and a Zip. I've notice the same discrepancies between the two. You said earlier on in your review that you "calibrated" both devices, how exactly did you do that. As far as I can tell there is no way to calibrate the Flex unless I am missing it. If there is a way I'd love to know how I can improve the Flex's accuracy. Thanks again and happy stepping!
  • lstroth1
    lstroth1 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex and while I know it can under count steps when you are holding onto a shopping cart or carrying stuff in your arms I have found a way to fix that. I have skinny ankles and I am able to wear the large band of the Flex around my ankle. That way the Flex doesn't count my keyboard activities but does count my steps while running around with stuff in my hands. It works great for me and I have compared the accuracy against my treadmill and it is right on.

Only downside for people wanting to wear it on there ankle is the wristband sizes are too small for most people.
  • darkangel07760
    Options
    thank you so much for this review, i actually bought the fitbit one first, but it wasn't the accuracy that was the problem, i knew that the one would be more accurate, it was a few other things: i am dreadfully afraid of losing it. i know how i am, and i tend to misplace things. i know that fitbit is wonderful and would replace it for free. but i would have to worry about where it was too much, and by where it was i mean like changing my clothes, not throwing it in the wash, so on and so forth. also, whenever i had to take it out of its case for the sleep tracking (it didn't seem to fit when i kept it in the case), and then put it back in, believe it or not it was a bit of a hassle for me.
    these might seem like small things, but after a few days i was getting irritated by it. i exchanged it for the flex. i am setting it for dominant on my non dominant hand. i love that i won't have to worry, it will be right there on my wrist. however, i love wearing bracelets and so it takes up a good bit of wrist real estate haha
    but i think that in the end it has to be the flex... though it may not be as accurate, i know that it will always be there. and that is one less thing to worry about.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    OP;

Your product "bake-off" seems to have been intelligently planned and executed! Kudos to ya'! :drinker:

Also, I bought my immediate and extended families fitbits. My younger brother is the only one that wanted the flex. He relishes in the fact he is beating me (step count leaderboard stuff) all the time. Your "experiment" gives me the ammunition I need to counter his "taunts". (pssst......even with the difference in the recording tools, I know he is still beating me.......but don't tell him that :ohwell: )

I love this! What a great idea to get FitBits for the whole family! It sounds like the friendly competition is great motivation, too.

I still don't have one but I am hoping Santa brings me one. I've been very good this year...
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    So its been 5 months with the Fitbit One. Its been 22 weeks and 25 lbs gone since getting the FB. I have lost 50 lbs total but the first 25 took over a year to lose. I still have 13-18 lbs to go to reach my goal and expect that I should reach that in 3-4 months if history is any indicator.

Here are the historical numbers of cals in vs. cals out since getting the FB.

Cal Burn
    Cals Eaten
    39616 MAY (11-31)
    51468 JUNE
    58883 JULY
    57841 AUG
    58947 SEPT
    21075 OCT (1-11)
    287830 TOTAL

Difference between burn and intake - 86088
    Divided by 3500 cals
    Pounds lost based on the numbers 24.59657143 lbs

Actual pounds lost based on my scale - 25 lbs
    Average cals eaten daily ~ 1900 cals
    Average cals burned daily ~ 2450 cals
    AAverage pounds lost each week - 1lb

My settings between MFP and FB are:
    I let MFP set my minimum cals based on my weight, sedentary lifestyle and goal of 1 lb a week weight loss. MFP gives me 1270 cals as of now. I manually add my cals burned during fitness based on my what my HRM montior gives me. FB is set to one pound a week weight loss. I have not changed my sedentary status on MFP because somedays I burn a lot of cals and other days I am lazy. More active than lazy but it happens.

The FB has kept me on track and helped me figure out what my daily burn is. Syncing to MFP has really, really helped me lose all of this weight by giving me a total cals to eat each and every day. I still go over sometimes but I am still losing because I dont lose faith in the numbers and I know that I working hard. I am working out so I can eat more food daily, which has been an average 1900 cals a day intake. I still eat what I want but I do my best to stay within the cals allotted daily. I eat fast food but I also eat my veggies and fruits. I workout 3-4 days a week with my trainer and I try to do 10000 steps a day.

I have said it before and I mean it now, I wont live this life without my Fitbit. Along with MFP and my trainer, I would never have achieved this goal without my Fitbit.

Anyone on the fence about getting one should really, really look into it.
  • fourvols
    fourvols Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with the post as well. I had a Nike Fuel band (wrist) and found it misinterpreted activities and over counted regularly. Once I changed to the One it has been rock solid. Although I will have to say mine didn't survive a accidental wash but that has only happened once since I got mine in March. I am pretty good at remembering not to wash it now. So it's accuracy vs risk damage. I would recommend accuracy :-)
  • Cali_Chica
    Cali_Chica Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    This is so incredibly helpful. I'm grappling with which fit bit model is right for me to receive from Santa. This post is much appreciated.
  • B_TEEN
    B_TEEN Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I went with the Fitbit One and I'm extremely happy with my choice. My biggest concern with One over the Flex/Force was that it would be easy to lose. However, I only had one scare and I've yet to wash it (yipeeee). Plus, there was enough evidence to suggest that the Flex/Force would count arm gestures as steps.

Now, I can only hope FB keeps the One within their product line.
  • ducedo
    Options
    Ended up writing a post about the accuracy problem while referring to a few studies.

Might be worth a read: http://www.stefannilsson.com/fitbit-accuracy/