Healthy Grocery Shopping Tips(game)

Options
Scorpiomom222
Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
One by one, let's share our grocery shopping tips. I'll start

Never grocery shop on an empty stomach, as it's easier to justify buying junk food.

Your turn.

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals and make a list and buy just what you need.. dont be afraid of store brands, they are usually just as good
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    shop the outer isles
  • sgp329
    sgp329 Posts: 184
    Options
    Shop the perimeter of the store for fresher healthier selections.
  • taulbeesd
    taulbeesd Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Set a time limit. The longer I'm in a grocery store, the more I pick up!

304280.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Keep a list of flexible basics- foods that can go in/with anything and that you enjoy eating. I like carrots, spinach, peppers and tomatos for veggies, chicken boullion, greek yogurt and low cal mozz. cheese. I can mix and match these with a number of meats, other veggies and spices for lunch and dinner, so I can always "whip something up" that I know will be in a good nutrient/calorie range
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Grocery cart races really ARE fun! And burn calories too! No wait.....you meant a serious tip? Okay....here goes:

Stick with fresh or frozen veggies if possible. Canned veggies are typically very high in sodium. If you MUST used canned veggies, give them a rinse first. It helps.

Choose breads and rolls with the words "whole-wheat" as the first ingredient. Look for breads that contain at least 2 - 3 grams of fiber per slice.

Speak up! If your grocery store doesn't carry something you are interested (such as greek yogurt or low sodium sliced turkey breast) ask a manager to order it. You'd be surprised! Often times they will!

And bring along reusable bags (I have to put a post it note on my rear view mirror to remind myself....seriously).......create less waste!

TAH DAH!!!! See? I can be useful sometimes! ;)
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    if your store has them - use the self check-outs as there isn't a large candy display glaring at you while you wait for the cashier to ring your items

Then you get the guy behind you with one item glaring at you while you self checkout a basket full of groceries :laugh:
  • lisafrancis629
    Options
    I plan out my meals for the week and make a grocery list and buy everything I need so I won't have to go back to the store for at least a week. If I have to go to the grocery store to "pick up a few things" I always buy more than those few things and therefore spend more money.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Make a list and stick to it.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I think it is important to try one new food item every week. I look forward to trying new foods, but can't afford to try everything new all in one week, so I pick the one I want to try the most each week.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Set a time limit. The longer I'm in a grocery store, the more I pick up!

304280.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

how true