The Sunday thru Friday Fake!!!

Options
Okay here goes, I have been so off track and just need some guidance back in the right direction. I have figured my downfalls are my weekends, mainly Friday dinner and all day Saturday. See I have no problem Monday - Friday because I work, so I am very structured in bringing my breakfast and lunch. I cook on Sunday preparing for breakfast, lunch and dinner throughout the week. But where I am slacking is on Friday night and all day Saturday. See I never used to cook on the weekends because they were too busy and it was considered time to relax. Friday night, I have boot camp so I am beginning to plan my dinner for that night. Now here comes the real problem, Saturday I am away from home just about all day running errands, grocery shopping, taking my daughter where she needs to be, getting hair done and all sorts of things. My first order of business normally is to take a walk first thing in the morning on Saturday because I know I won't have time later. We are literally on the go from about 7am - 6pm. I have no problem with breakfast, I usually take something with me, breakfast f\bar, protein shake, boiled egg, fruit and I ALWAYS have a snack, normally granola bar or a piece of fruit. But when lunch time rolls around, I can't just stop and go home to eat, so I try to do something almost healthy at a fast food place, but by the time I get home it's 6pm and I have no energy for cooking, so it's usually take-out from somewhere. If anyone has any suggestions please make them!! I always feel like my week starts all over again on Sunday and I'm back to square one. Also I don't usually exercise on Sunday, as this is my day off and I'm preparing meals and doing house chores for the week. HELP ME PLEASE!!! I am starting to feel like such a phony Sunday- Friday and it is very discouraging. Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone is able to provide!

Replies

• azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    well why not premake your food for saturday on the previous sunday? that way its already cooked and ready to go just like your other meals you make! treat saturday like a work day. pack your lunch the night before. I think with a little tweaking your going to do fine! good luck!
  • kerryrief
    Options
    I don't have any words of guidance for you as I was just complaining to my friend about this very same thing today! My fiance and I are great Monday - Thursday. But Friday night, Saturday and Sunday we're "on vacation" and its just so difficult! Somehow chicken and veggies does not sound like a Friday night "Woohoo its the weekend!!!" meal. I know I need to get a handle on it as for me I think its more a mental game but I wanted to let you know I'm right there with you!
  • becomingsara
    Options
    Hi! What about crockpotting it Saturday a.m. at least for Saturday PM dinner, that way you just have the lunch time meal to eat out for?
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    In one word - crockpot! There are lots of healthy things you can cook in it and you just have to plan a bit. Put in your food in the morning before all those errands start and dinner is ready when you walk in the door. Just add a salad or fresh fruit if you need to round out the meal. Allrecipes.com has lots of healthy recipes and you can adapt many of the others to make things healthy. Couple of hints: I learned from a friend if you put in frozen meat in the morning, it will be cooked perfectly by dinnertime and doesn't get dried out like it sometimes does cooking too long. Second hint, when cooking roast or round steak or any meat with some fat in it, lightly crumple up foil into balls and put them in the bottom of the crockpot before adding your meat. That keeps the meat out of most of the fat drippings and makes it healthier.

There are also lots of recipes for quick healthy meals. Just check out your local bookstore, library or internet search.

Also, you are doing a great job planning your Mon-Fri, so you just need to plan for the weekends. I'm probably more than a little too detailed for a lot of people, but one day a month, I print out a calendar and decide my main course for every night of the month. It's not a strict version as changes do happen throughout the month, but it gives me a chance to not only plan my meals, but makes grocery shopping once a week easier, too. I know what I'm going to have that week, so I can do all my shopping in one trip! It's much easier to not go for takeout if you have something planned, and it's easy to have it planned if you try write out your main course for the next week or two (or a month like me).

Hope you can use any of this info. Good luck!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I would recommend "packing" your lunch/snacks like you would any other day. I like string cheese and almonds for snacks, maybe dried fruit, and a sandwich or salad in some tupperware you can keep in the car.

As for dinner on Saturday - I recommend chopping veggies and grilling up meat on friday nights- we are heading into soup season, so you can just toss it in a pot with chicken or beef broth and 10 minutes and a roll later, yummy happy dinner. When its not soup season I make it a sub or pita sandwich with the veggies and meat.

Planning is just as important, if not more so, when your time is less srtuctured.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Somehow chicken and veggies does not sound like a Friday night "Woohoo its the weekend!!!" meal.

Also, I like to make this as my "treat" kind of meal on Friday or Saturdays:

http://recipes.womenshealthmag.com/Recipe/chicken-spinach-parm.aspx

The boy likes it, it does feel a bit more filling and happy and flavorful than just grilled chicken etc.
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    It is really hard. But if you keep reminding yourself that you eat to live and not live to eat. When you make decisions it is mearly to curb you hunger.

Like you I run errands ALL day on saturdays with my Mom. When I/we go to a resturant I usually try to split a dish. For instance, saturday I had 1/2 salad & 1/2 eggplant parm. My Mom had the other half. Or when the plate comes split it in half, Eat your half and have it packed to-go.

Fast food is do-able. It may be alittle work but if you go online to your favorite places so that if you have to go you can't go :( what to order and say (f-it & go hog wild). I have copies of McD, BurgerKing, Taco Bell ect... or where ever your used to going. By having a the nutritional pamplet handy you CAN make good choices. Eat and continue on with your day.

Oh!! other times (diner) I'll have a burger/ grilled chicken on a bed of lettuce(skip the bread& mayo) lil bit of mustard or ketchup, Mashed potatos instead of fries & veggie.

Keep your heads up & Eye on the prize!!!

You can do it!!!
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I agree, totally. Weekends are the hardest. You CAN do fast food once a week, but ask for everything without the mayo, cheese, or the "special sauce.". Only eat 1/2 the bun. Not as delicious, but you'll stll be able to do the fast food thing and stay within your goals. You need a break from the meal prep too!
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Hey Queenie!
    I have the same problem with Saturday's. I also work full-time and Saturdays are my errand, get out and do stuff days. Not everyone will agree with the way I handle it but it works for me. If I don't cook then I eat out. I just kind of think ahead and know what I can eat. There's low-cal / doable options at lot's of places. Subway has great low-cal breakfast sandwiches. I've even had an egg Mcmuffin from McDonald's. Taco bell, Wendy's, Chic-fil-a all have very reasonable choices too. I use Saturday's as my relax a bit days (from the eating thing) but try not to go overboard. Sometimes I get in a little exercise, sometimes I don't. I just try to make up for it the rest of the week or get in a workout on Sunday if I don't do some activity that involves a lot of walking on Saturday.

In my mind I just feel like I'll be able to switch over to mainenance mode (when I get there) if I learn how to make this work with my lifestyle instead of making my lifestyle work with the changes. Maybe I won't get there as fast as I would if I was disciplined every day but I"m just not that tuff! lol

And just to add one more thing . . . Just because you don't follow your plan perfectly every day does not discount the rest of the days you do. So there is no need to feel like a fake.
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Try making Saturday sandwich day. Subway has really great sandwiches. Or make your own at home. A nice hot sandwich with a mc'D side salad, super easy.
    Make sure you drink your water on this day sandwiches are rich in sodium.
  • odatcindy
    odatcindy Posts: 641
    Options
    Queen - due to my allergies, I have to pack most of my meals. I take leftovers, measured and placed in plastic containers. And as everyone said and we all know, planning is a requirement in our lives right now, until we get everything under control. Take one day, set up your food, record it and check it before each meal. And don't beat yourself up!!!! Let us lift you up as you need help!!
  • 1QueenB
    1QueenB Posts: 227 Member
    Options

And just to add one more thing . . . Just because you don't follow your plan perfectly every day does not discount the rest of the days you do. So there is no need to feel like a fake.

I really needed to hear this Sandy, THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Sometimes I feel like such a fraud, but it's great to know that there are people out there just like me who have great suggestions on how to cope!
  • 1QueenB
    Options
    Queen - due to my allergies, I have to pack most of my meals. I take leftovers, measured and placed in plastic containers. And as everyone said and we all know, planning is a requirement in our lives right now, until we get everything under control. Take one day, set up your food, record it and check it before each meal. And don't beat yourself up!!!! Let us lift you up as you need help!!

I feel lifted already, like I can take on whatever life throws at me!! Your words were so comforting and very much needed, I want to br just like you when I grow up! :flowerforyou:
  • 1QueenB
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions, I never even thought to use the crockpot, and to think I use to cook by crockpot when I worked Midnight Shift. You guys are the best!!!!:flowerforyou: :drinker: