Ambient Temperature and BMR

Options
In theory BMR should be inversely related to the ambient temperature so I was wondering if I will improve my weight loss by turning the heating down this winter? Does anyone know any research?

John
In Edinburgh where it's distinctly nippy this morning:smile:

Replies

• YourFriendBecky
    Options
    I thought this question was really interesting, so I did some research. This is called adaptive thermogenesis, and apparently the heavier a person is, the less heat production (calorie burning) occurs in response to cold weather.

Check it out: http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v14/n11/full/oby2006223a.html
  • johnthefatman
    Options
    Thanks I'll read that later - I did do a quick google but initial results were all way too technical for me. I think it must be true but likely to be only a very small effect, so turn town the boiler to save on the bills and to save on the CO2 and if you loose an odd pound extra that's a bonus!
    J
  • Lithuria
    Options
    It is important just to clear it up though and put it in laymens terms - an "overweight" body DOES produce more heat "burn more calories" than normal in response to cold, just not as many as a "lean" person does. However, running around naked in the cold all day will not make you thin ^_^;; well, the running around bit will lol

I see this every winter, I go out with my skinny friends and they'll be shiverring in 3 coats and 12 t shirts under 5 jumpers and what not and I'll be there in maybe one little light jumper and perfectly fine. As I like to put it...I got pleanty of blubber to keep me warm already, I'm like a seal ^_^

Maybe one of the few downsides to loosing weight :D
  • mrmach
    mrmach Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Based on a study that I read, energy expenditures increased by 5% by dropping ambient temperature from 22°C to 16°C.