Question - heart rate monitor

Options
Where does one get a heart rate monitor? How do they work? How much to they cost? Which are the best?

Replies

• randimockensturm
    randimockensturm Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Where does one get a heart rate monitor? How do they work? How much to they cost? Which are the best?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Here are some links to previous answers to that question:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/search

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/search
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I got mine on eBay for ~$85. I picked the Polar F6 and I absolutely love it. I was leary about the chest strap but it is comfortable and I don't even notice it anymore. My results improved dramatically after I got it just because my exercise calories were much more accurate.

I definitely recommend getting one!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I just bought a polar F4 yesterday at D ***ks Sporting Goods. I hope to try it out tonight for my 5k.
  • natalie424
    natalie424 Posts: 320
    Options
    I just got a Polar F6 yesterday... I got it at D**k's Sporting Goods. It was $109, but I had a $15.00 off coupon in my Entertainment book. It was relatively easy to set up... The instructions that come with it are easy to understand. I used it for my walk this morning. It really kept me focused on staying within my target heart rate zone. It also kept me motivated! I burned 478 calories. I walked for about 3 miles. I'm so glad I made the purchase.
  • mommy2js
    mommy2js Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I bought mine at ****s. They have a big selection of Polar brand that varies in price. I love mine, before I got it, I was only losing about .2 to .5lbs per week and the week I got it I lost 1.7lbs, which is huge for me. Plus, my elliptical machine has a Polar monitor in it, so when I wear it, it projects onto my screen! :smile:

Sorry, it won't let me type the store name because it thinks I am being nasty - it's "Man's Privates" store:blushing:
  • SherryRH
    Options
    Same here. I had to go back and edit. :laugh:
  • ladywalkalot
    ladywalkalot Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    So those of you that have purchased it and used it:

How accurate was MFP or other calorie calculators compared to your hrm?

In which way did they err?

I am STUCK in a rut and need a jumpstart.....it is just sooo the last days of summer....
  • natalie424
    natalie424 Posts: 320
    Options
    So those of you that have purchased it and used it:

How accurate was MFP or other calorie calculators compared to your hrm?

In which way did they err?

I am STUCK in a rut and need a jumpstart.....it is just sooo the last days of summer....

I only have today's walk to compare...
    -I walked 3.2 miles in about 50 minutes (I figure that's about 3.5 mph) and my HRM was 478 calories
    -I just put into MFP walking, brisk pace, 3.5 mph for 50 minutes and it said 349 calories
  • mommy2js
    Options
    MFP is always WAY higher in calories burned than reality for me. It showed about 10 cals per minute on the elliptical for me and I was actually only burning about 6-7/minute. After going for 30 minutes, it creates quite a discrepancy. When I walk, it is the same way, I burn far less calories than MFP estimates for me:mad:
  • mb2bthin
    mb2bthin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I bought mine at ****s. They have a big selection of Polar brand that varies in price. I love mine, before I got it, I was only losing about .2 to .5lbs per week and the week I got it I lost 1.7lbs, which is huge for me. Plus, my elliptical machine has a Polar monitor in it, so when I wear it, it projects onto my screen! :smile:

Sorry, it won't let me type the store name because it thinks I am being nasty - it's "Man's Privates" store:blushing:

Which model did you buy?
  • mb2bthin
    Options
    MFP is always WAY higher in calories burned than reality for me. It showed about 10 cals per minute on the elliptical for me and I was actually only burning about 6-7/minute. After going for 30 minutes, it creates quite a discrepancy. When I walk, it is the same way, I burn far less calories than MFP estimates for me:mad:

Same question again as my other one, which model did you buy.

I'm trying to figure out what I need. I am getting started with my exercise program so not sure what model works the best for my needs.
  • mommy2js
    Options
    I can't remember the model number, but it was the one that cost about $85. it was a Polar
  • mommy2js
    Options
    I think the only thing mine didn't really have that the more expensive ones did was the thing that prevents it from interfering with another HRM. (i guess for when you are working out with another person that is wearing one also)
  • mb2bthin
    Options
    I can't remember the model number, but it was the one that cost about $85. it was a Polar

thanks, I will check it out. :happy:
  • SherryRH
    Options
    Mine was the Polar F4 and it cost about $89.00 so that may be the model mommy2js bought. The Polar F11 stops the interference with other HRM and that one cost $159.99. Too rich for my blood.:frown:
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I got mine on eBay for ~$85. I picked the Polar F6 and I absolutely love it. I was leary about the chest strap but it is comfortable and I don't even notice it anymore. My results improved dramatically after I got it just because my exercise calories were much more accurate.

I definitely recommend getting one!

I also got my Polar f6 on ebay. It ended up being around 82 bucks with shipping. I LOVE it. I love knowing how many calories I burn. It inspires me to push harder.
  • LandBsdotingchauffeur
    Options
    I bought my polar f4 for 76$ on ebay the other day. Still waiting to get it, but can't wait! :drinker:
    Heidi
  • randimockensturm
    randimockensturm Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone. I went to the store [you know d##ks] a few weeks ago and was so totally overwhelmed with what I saw and the guy in the store was clueless as to the difference between them. AND the outside of the packaging is not that extensive - so I got really confused. This did give me some insight - will go back and look at the Polar F's .
  • northernmama705
    Options
    Well, I am the proud owner of an F4! Our ONE fitness store in town didn't have anymore of the F6, and I was too impatient to wait for it to come in. I have heard many of you speak highly of the F4 as well so I figured I would go for it. I am excited to start using it. Between this and my six sessions with a personal trainer to incorporate some strengh training, hopefully I will finally be able to bust through my plateau..... here is to hoping anyway.