I really need advice. I need fast, healthy weight loss tips.

Options
My boyfriend will be home in December and I'd like to lose as much as possible before then. I exercise daily (literally.. three days at the gym, two days running, and two days riding horses, unless something comes up). I try to stay under my calories, although it's impossible to keep up with my macros in the South Dining Hall on campus (I'm in college... healthy isn't always easy). I know I don't get enough sleep and I know I'm under a lot of stress (hello, freshman 15). I do drink plenty of water though. I always have my water bottle with me.

So.. advice?

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    13 weeks till Christmas. I wouldn't try to lose more than a pound a week, maybe even just 1/2 pound a week, based on your goals. So make sure your numbers are correct and you're at a deficit of 250-500 calories a day. Don't overestimate your exercise calories, don't cheat yourself by fudging serving sizes.

Are the 3 days at the gym for weights? If not, you might want to do some lifting. You can look really good without losing as much weight.

But really, don't be too hard on yourself. Looking at your profile picture, you are gorgeous, and your boyfriend will love seeing you no matter what. Working on it is fine. But don't do anything extreme to try to get to your goal weight in 13 weeks.
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Being as active as you are is great, but it's important to take rest days and not get burned out. I know if I personally exercised hard every day, my appetite would be through the roof and it would be much harder to stick to my eating plan! I'd say do more strength training and don't go too insane on the cardio - 3 days a week is good. Food is the critical step though! I've busted my butt in the gym for months and the scale stayed the same because I wasn't measuring portions precisely enough - I was estimating. College dining halls make it really hard, I know! Stick to mostly salads, broth-based soups and lean protein, and avoid the big piles of carbs- I know sandwiches and bagels are tempting. I found breakfast was the most diet-friendly meal in college- they made veggie omelettes to order, and I would get egg whites and ask for just a little cheese. I was watching them make it, so I could see and estimate how much cheese it was (sadly, a 1/4 cup, 110-cal serving of cheese is NOT a lot). They made whole-wheat english muffin egg sandwiches too which is healthy- I was even able to sneak a peek at the english muffin package so I knew how many calories were in it.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    There is no fast, healthy weight loss. Slow and steady. If you workout a lot, then increase your calories to keep fueling your body.
  • bigred503
    Options
    Lift lift lift! I have lost 11 inches in 2 months and have only lost 1/2 a lb! And i eat 2000 cals a day!
  • lucky2beinlove
    Options
    13 weeks till Christmas. I wouldn't try to lose more than a pound a week, maybe even just 1/2 pound a week, based on your goals. So make sure your numbers are correct and you're at a deficit of 250-500 calories a day. Don't overestimate your exercise calories, don't cheat yourself by fudging serving sizes.

Are the 3 days at the gym for weights? If not, you might want to do some lifting. You can look really good without losing as much weight.

But really, don't be too hard on yourself. Looking at your profile picture, you are gorgeous, and your boyfriend will love seeing you no matter what. Working on it is fine. But don't do anything extreme to try to get to your goal weight in 13 weeks.

I don't do any weight training. I'm not quite sure how and I don't want to get hurt!
  • lucky2beinlove
    Options
    Being as active as you are is great, but it's important to take rest days and not get burned out. I know if I personally exercised hard every day, my appetite would be through the roof and it would be much harder to stick to my eating plan! I'd say do more strength training and don't go too insane on the cardio - 3 days a week is good. Food is the critical step though! I've busted my butt in the gym for months and the scale stayed the same because I wasn't measuring portions precisely enough - I was estimating. College dining halls make it really hard, I know! Stick to mostly salads, broth-based soups and lean protein, and avoid the big piles of carbs- I know sandwiches and bagels are tempting. I found breakfast was the most diet-friendly meal in college- they made veggie omelettes to order, and I would get egg whites and ask for just a little cheese. I was watching them make it, so I could see and estimate how much cheese it was (sadly, a 1/4 cup, 110-cal serving of cheese is NOT a lot). They made whole-wheat english muffin egg sandwiches too which is healthy- I was even able to sneak a peek at the english muffin package so I knew how many calories were in it.

My university actually posts nutrition information next to each dish, and if they forget, it's on a huge chart on the wall. They calculate my cals for me! :)
  • lucky2beinlove
    Options
    Lift lift lift! I have lost 11 inches in 2 months and have only lost 1/2 a lb! And i eat 2000 cals a day!

I don't know how to lift weights. :/ I know you can get hurt if you don't learn properly.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    ^ Look it up on Youtube.
  • Lichent
    Lichent Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    my buddy and I have been doing alot of research on this and it appears the best solution for weight loss comes through a fast program , it doesn't affect the bodies metabolism

Michael Mosley has done a sooper dooper series for BBC horizon : eat fast and live longer ...how diet affects the brain
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGHDBIaibok

Jason Fung who works with renal failure, diabetes and obesities has done a lecture web series for educational purposes.
    The Fast solution
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG89j432w-Y

You can click on his name under the video and it will bring up all ten of the videos he uploaded this year.

There is far too much misinformation on this web site so we are passing on what we have learned elsewhere.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

I don't do any weight training. I'm not quite sure how and I don't want to get hurt!

Check out New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, or Strong Lifts (they are all book, btw :wink:). Look up videos on youtube for proper form. Ask people at your gym; get a few sessions with a trainer if you can afford it. And if you start with weights that are low enough you don't get hurt, but high enough that you're actually working (start low and then add if it's too easy). Really, most of it can be found through the books.

Or even start with something like Jillian Michaels or p90. Not so much actual weight training, more of circuit training, but it's better than straight cardio for maintaining muscle mass and giving you a better, leaner look. [And, though it won't help for December, consider taking a weight lifting class next semester. I assume my college isn't the only one that offers them]

And don't discount the other information people have given you regarding slow and steady, whether or not you try to do weights.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    The heck with it. Normally, I wouldn't respond to this type of thread. I'm feeling "generous" today.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/the-rapid-fat-loss-handbook

You're welcome.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Use your body as resistance first then. Pushups, crunches, squats, leg lifts, lunges. These exercises are free and can be done in your home, which makes them my favorites. :-)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    it's impossible to keep up with my macros in the South Dining Hall on campus

So.. advice?

Keep up with your macros.
  • maracuya23
    Options
    Do you get free access to your University gym? If so, they often have free classes, and one might be weightlifting, if you wanted to learn proper form.
  • lucky2beinlove
    Options
    Do you get free access to your University gym? If so, they often have free classes, and one might be weightlifting, if you wanted to learn proper form.

There is a weight lifting class, and I'm enrolled for next semester!