No energy..

Options
I eat healthy, i drink plenty of water, im not overweight, i get plenty of exercise and fresh air... why do i constantly have no energy?
At the moment even typing this message has taken about 5 minutes cause im exhausted even though its only half 6 in the evening.

Any advice?

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    we would probably need more information than this to give any real opinions. There's SO many reasons for fatigue that without knowing more about your situation, we wouldn't even be able to make a guess.

I think to start, maybe making your food diary available, listing a few specifics with regards to your fatigue, listing any medical conditions you may have, your weight, your height, your activity levels, your exercise schedule... etc.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's not enough sleep. I have a really hard time with this and it makes me have low energy too.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid or iron levels checked lately? It might be worthh asking your doctor for a blood test just to make sure your levels arn't too low.
  • katkat987
    katkat987 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I get at least 8 hours sleep each night. The only medical condition i have is asthma, and i've just been put back on the preventer inhaler but i checked the box and it doesn't mention fatigue. I'm 5"5, weigh 137 pounds, I go to the gym 5 or 6 times a week and do about 20 mins on the elliptical and 20 mins on the cycle machine. I do sit ups and press ups most days.

I've just made my food diary public x
  • determined99
    Options
    from what i see you lack protein in your diet. Lack of protein gives a tired and sluggish feeling. Are you vegetarian? Even if you are there plenty of options like TVP you can take to boost protein content of your diet
  • katkat987
    Options
    Im not a vegetarian, i just don't eat much meat. I've had a look at protein stuff but its all so expensive =/
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    so first things first, at your weight, height, and age, 1200 calories a day is very low. It's a giant red flag for me as to why you may be exhausted. Even if your activity level is only lightly active, your maintenance is 1900 plus calories. So a 700 calorie deficit is pretty big for anyone, much less someone with very little weight to lose. I'm not surprised at all that you are feeling fatigued, you are essentially depriving your body of fuel, and your body is reacting in the only way it knows how, by slowing down your ability to do work.

IMHO I would slowly (over the next month or so) ramp up the calories to at least 1600 and see how you feel. Don't worry, if you do it nice and slow, you won't gain any weight, your body will adjust, your metabolism will ramp up, and you should feel much better. Of course this is just an educated guess based on some pretty superficial numbers, but it's the first thing I would do before going deeper.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Im not a vegetarian, i just don't eat much meat. I've had a look at protein stuff but its all so expensive =/

protein isn't necessarilly expensive. Look at beans, chick pease, avocados, eggs, whole wheat, seeds (sunflower, or better yet, unsalted pumpkin), all have lots of protein, and are relatively cheap to buy in bulk.
  • katkat987
    Options
    I am working on increasing the calorie intake, but i dont get hungry often so its difficult. I do eat chickpeas and things but i tend to get bored of them, i might have to revamp my shopping list. I am on iron tablets aswell for anaemia so i think a doctors visit may be useful. Thanks for your help x
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I am working on increasing the calorie intake, but i dont get hungry often so its difficult. I do eat chickpeas and things but i tend to get bored of them, i might have to revamp my shopping list. I am on iron tablets aswell for anaemia so i think a doctors visit may be useful. Thanks for your help x

being anemic is something you should have mentioned. It changes things. One of the prime symptoms of anemia is fatigue. I would be sure to be tested soon. Your iron pills may not be working as predicted. I would also go with some iron rich foods every day like spinach and turkey (dark meat if possible) beef, shrimp, artichokes, collards, egg yokes ...etc.)

I still think you should eat more anyway, but this is something you should have checked as well. If being full is an issue, google "nutrient dense food" to get lists of foods that pack lots of calories without filling you up. It will allow you to eat more calories without that super "full" feeling.
  • brittlynne3579
    brittlynne3579 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are REALLY getting those 8 hours of sleep in. My girlfriend is not overweight or anything and she recently realized she has sleep apnea. Most people think that condition will wake you up or that if you live/sleep with someone you HAVE to be snoring to the point of sucking the curtains off the wall, but not true. She has slept at my apartment many times and I've never heard so much as a heavy breath from her. Turns out she was exhausted and making excuses (kids make me tired, ran around alot today) but finally her doctor sent her in and she has a pretty advanced case.

I'm no doctor, but it's worth seeing someone or discussing sleep problems because those not only keep you tired, but ones like apnea can cause more major health problems in the long run. I hope you feel better soon! :flowerforyou:
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of the year I started training with a personal trainer. It's a strenuous hour of circuit sports training and it kicks my butt! I would run home and have some coffee, do my chores, shower and go to work. I'd almost fall asleep on my way to work at ten in the morning, i'd be so tired. So, I brought this to Bruce's (my trainer) attention and he said it's because I'm not eating right after I train. Your body gets torn up at the gym and you burn off all your reserved carbs and your muscles need protein. I'd invest in some low calorie protein powder. It tends to be cheaper than the premixed shakes. (I found a giant tub of it at walmart that's not expensive) Bruce said that you have a 30 min window after you get done with a strenuous workout to replenish your muscles with protein. Then he said to have some complex carbs and fruit or veggies an hour later. It totally did the trick. I feel very drained leaving the gym, and as soon as i have breakfast and my shake i'm ready to go. This also will boost your metabolism throughout the day! Friend me and check out my diary for some good meal ideas! Good luck!
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,178 Member
    Options
    If you are still lacking energy after adjusting your diet, I would schedule an appointment to see a doctor and get a blood test. I was also lacking energy although I was eating properly and staying active (but at the same time dragging and just not feeling like myself) come to find out I had severely low vitamin D levels. This was also a factor in why I was not losing weight as well. After being prescribed the appropriate vitamin D dosage, my energy levels slowly returned. Also after doing some research 80% of women do not get enough vitamin D through diet and do not spend enough time in the sunlight (without sunscreen) to have normal levels of D, which is also very important for processing calcium.
  • katkat987
    Options
    Well i dont tend to have problems with sleeping, apart from grinding my teeth all night (according to my boyfriend) but my dentist gave me a handy retainer to fix that. Plus im usually okay in the mornings, the lack of energy starts about 3 hours into my day.

And in regards to vitamin D, im extremely pale and freckly so i tend to avoid sun most of the time. But now i live in scotland thats not too much of a problem anymore haha
  • eunjumom
    Options
    Try a protein shake? Mine is about 20 bucks and I use it for a whole month. It's a protein egg blend that makes me feel fuller and gives me energy. I don't eat alot of meat and when I first started exercising my calorie intake was way too low. Most people don't realize there's no flat number across the board . Everyone's needs are different based on their exercise length, height, weight, and age.

Do you take vitamins? That might help also. I am anemic also and taking those has eliminated me having to take iron pills.

Good luck!