Ideal Weight Calculation. I Need Help.

Options
Hello, I've been trying to determine what my ideal weight will be. I've sort of found my own way of doing it (as opposed to the calculators and BMI estimates on the Internet), but I have no idea if it's flawed. So I'd like another person to give me their opinion. Perhaps they'll see something I'm not.

I have a scale that tells me my fat, water, and muscle percentage. Today I weighed 213.2lbs. I'm 5'11". I had a fat percentage of exactly 23%. So basically my scale is telling me I have 49lbs of fat. Now, I want to be somewhere between 10-14%. So what I do is, I subtract that 49lbs from my 213lbs, which gives me 164lbs. But of course, theoretically, that would mean 0% body fat, which no sane person wants. But that tells me that I shouldn't be anywhere near 164lbs, and definitely not lower. At least, that's how I interpret it.

That's where I need your help. Am I interpreting that correctly? Or is there something I'm not seeing?

I've always figured 180-185lbs would be my ideal weight. That means I need to lose 28-33lbs. Assuming all of that is fat (which obviously would be ideal, as the goal is to gain muscle mass), that would mean I'd have 16-21lbs of body fat, which would put me at roughly 9-11% body fat.

Surely there's a simpler formula, but I suck at math, so I've yet to come up with one. But I'm hoping the basic theory is accurate. So please, if you have any feedback, I'd love to hear it.

Thank you.

EDIT: By the way, I understand those types of scales aren't exactly 100%. I'm simply looking for a very general estimate. Something I can set my sights on. I'll worry about the minor details when I get closer to that weight.

Replies

• 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Hello, I've been trying to determine what my ideal weight will be. I've sort of found my own way of doing it (as opposed to the calculators and BMI estimates on the Internet), but I have no idea if it's flawed. So I'd like another person to give me their opinion. Perhaps they'll see something I'm not.

I have a scale that tells me my fat, water, and muscle percentage. Today I weighed 213.2lbs. I'm 5'11". I had a fat percentage of exactly 23%. So basically my scale is telling me I have 49lbs of fat. Now, I want to be somewhere between 10-14%. So what I do is, I subtract that 49lbs from my 213lbs, which gives me 164lbs. But of course, theoretically, that would mean 0% body fat, which no sane person wants. But that tells me that I shouldn't be anywhere near 164lbs, and definitely not lower. At least, that's how I interpret it.

That's where I need your help. Am I interpreting that correctly? Or is there something I'm not seeing?

I've always figured 180-185lbs would be my ideal weight. That means I need to lose 28-33lbs. Assuming all of that is fat (which obviously would be ideal, as the goal is to gain muscle mass), that would mean I'd have 16-21lbs of body fat, which would put me at roughly 9-11% body fat.

Surely there's a simpler formula, but I suck at math, so I've yet to come up with one. But I'm hoping the basic theory is accurate. So please, if you have any feedback, I'd love to hear it.

Thank you.

EDIT: By the way, I understand those types of scales aren't exactly 100%. I'm simply looking for a very general estimate. Something I can set my sights on. I'll worry about the minor details when I get closer to that weight.

try http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Today I weighed 213.2lbs. I'm 5'11". I had a fat percentage of exactly 23%. So basically my scale is telling me I have 49lbs of fat. Now, I want to be somewhere between 10-14%. So what I do is, I subtract that 49lbs from my 213lbs, which gives me 164lbs

So at 10% body fat the 164 lbs would be 90% of your weight, 164/0.9 = 182.2 lbs total weight.

At 14% the 164 is 86%, 164/0.86 = 190.7 lbs

assuming you retain all your non-fat mass, which is unlikely. But you're on the right track with the math.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You'll also lose some lean body mass as you lose weight so your idea is flawed in thinking you'll maintain all of it. Also those scales are ridiculously wrong most of the time. Find a gym with someone who really knows how to use calipers or go for a dunk test if you really want to know your BF%.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Just use the mirror to gauge your ideal weight. When you like what you see, step on the scale and boom, there is your ideal weight. May be way more or less than you think it will be now.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Just use the mirror to gauge your ideal weight. When you like what you see, step on the scale and boom, there is your ideal weight. May be way more or less than you think it will be now.
    this ....... it's easier than the maths and more accurate
  • jars2512
    Options
    So at 10% body fat the 164 lbs would be 90% of your weight, 164/0.9 = 182.2 lbs total weight.

At 14% the 164 is 86%, 164/0.86 = 190.7 lbs

assuming you retain all your non-fat mass, which is unlikely. But you're on the right track with the math.

Wow, I feel stupid for not knowing that formula. I learned that in school but clearly I didn't retain it. Thank you for your help.
  • jars2512
    Options

That's what I plan to do, but I like to have a general target to keep me motivated. If I can sit here and tell myself I have about 30lbs to go, I have something to look forward to.

The main reason I asked, though, is because I've seen guys that are around my height and they're 140-150. I know muscle, bone density, frame, age, etc. all play a factor, but I was just hoping to find out that I don't need to lose THAT much weight. So I was hoping my calculations were at least on the right track as far as determining that I in fact don't need to be 140-150.