Maintaining weight on 1200 calories?

Options
Over the past six months or so I've lost 60lbs, going from 190lbs to 130 at 5ft 6.

I won't lie, I didn't lose the weight particularly healthily - I was on a very, very low calorie diet (around 800-1000 at first, but as I became more and more unhappy it ended up being around 400-500).

Over the past few weeks I've been looking to slowly increase my calorie intake to maintain my weight, and have been doing it in instalments of 100 calories a week. However, I'm currently eating 1200-1300 daily and maintaining (have been for about three weeks).

If I were shorter and weighed less then I would perhaps understand maintaining at this amount - however, I'm farily active (walking for about an hour 5-6 days a week) and have a BMI of 21. I realise I've probably broken my metabolism but I don't know where to go from here - if I start eating more than 1200/1300, will I begin to gain weight?

Really would appreciate some help because the amount of calories I'm consuming at the moment is still making me pretty tired and unable to concentrate, and I haven't had a period since May which is also worrying.

If my stats are relevant: 18 y/o female, 5ft 6, 130lbs

Replies

• bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You cant take shortcuts and expect it to turn out well in the long run. Now you have to find where your maintencance calories should actually be and continue to slowly work your way up until you reach that point. You may gain in the begining but its necessary to fuel your body correctly.
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to get (medical) help and start eating more. If you are feeling tired and are unable to concentrate, and haven't had your period in some time, your body is telling you there is something wrong. If the thought of gaining a little weight freaks you out too much, again, get help!

:flowerforyou:

edited for typo
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    You should be able to eat more (I'm about your height and weight and eat around 2000/day with moderate exercise). I would recommend slowly introducing more calories (like 100/week) until you reach your goal for maintenance. In order to understand that goal, I recommend having your resting metabolic rate (RMR) tested. I had mine done by a nutritionist at a grocery store. That can help you understand what kind of metabolic issues, if any, you might be having. As far as I've read, your metabolism doesn't "break", though it can be temporarily suppressed from VLCDs. It can also be "fixed" by eating the correct amount of food.

If you're in college, your university might offer metabolic testing. The one I went to does.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    You cant take shortcuts and expect it to turn out well in the long run. Now you have to find where your maintencance calories should actually be and continue to slowly work your way up until you reach that point. You may gain in the begining but its necessary to fuel your body correctly.

This. I am a few years older but 5"6.5 and 160-165lbs. I eat 2300 a day with similar activity levels and am maintaining right now. I would say take the batteries out of the scale and every week go up by 50-100 till you are closer to 1800-2000 and see how you feel. The scale will go up to start and that is normal but in the long run you body will adjust and you will feel better health wise.

Also like said if you can find a way to get your RMR tested that would be very helpful too.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Bingo.

This post should be echoed throughout all of the folks that cheer so hard for 1200 calories...
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

Really would appreciate some help because the amount of calories I'm consuming at the moment is still making me pretty tired and unable to concentrate, and I haven't had a period since May which is also worrying.

Your body and brain aren't so much "maintaining" on 1200 calories as fighting to survive. Eat more and you'll begin to function normally again and will need more calories.
  • VelvetMorning
    VelvetMorning Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I don't really have experience with this, so what I'm saying is just a guess:

As you continue to up your calories you'll gain weight. Because you were on such a restrictive diet and now you're starting to eat what *most* people are eating to LOSE weight, your body probably doesn't know what to do with itself and is packing what it can away in preparation for your next bout of 400-1000 calories a day. Personally (again, no basis for this) I would first and foremost begin eating an amount of HEALTHY (!!!) foods until I felt right again; no weight is worth being ill, and once you're in a better frame of mind work on either increasing or decreasing your calories until you can maintain your weight within 5ish pounds. For me, at 5'3, 105 pounds, I can maintain this at just around 1,500 calories a day. When I start going up, I drop a hundred or two calories until I'm back at a comfortable weight, and then increase and see-saw my way day to day. Your body will eventually adjust to having an appropriate amount of calories and your weight will even itself out. Good luck!
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Well firstly you buggered your metabolism by starving yourself... So you are just going to have to slowly increase your calories to get your body used to food again....why why why did you do that. I'm losing weight on eating 1800 calories so I'm hoping at maintenance I will be able to eat 2200...oh well..good luck. Just keep slowly increasing calories and see where your sweet spot is.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eat what your TDEE should be for 3-4 months. Then eat at a reasonable deficit again until you lose the weight you'll gain in the meantime.

No way around it unfortunately.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    no periods. gosh that is bad. Im no professional but I would speak to a doctor that is concerning and yes I would increase your calories. Sounds like your metabolism took a beating and it may take some ups and downs weight wise to get it in check.
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Over the past six months or so I've lost 60lbs, going from 190lbs to 130 at 5ft 6.

I won't lie, I didn't lose the weight particularly healthily - I was on a very, very low calorie diet (around 800-1000 at first, but as I became more and more unhappy it ended up being around 400-500).

Over the past few weeks I've been looking to slowly increase my calorie intake to maintain my weight, and have been doing it in instalments of 100 calories a week. However, I'm currently eating 1200-1300 daily and maintaining (have been for about three weeks).

If I were shorter and weighed less then I would perhaps understand maintaining at this amount - however, I'm farily active (walking for about an hour 5-6 days a week) and have a BMI of 21. I realise I've probably broken my metabolism but I don't know where to go from here - if I start eating more than 1200/1300, will I begin to gain weight?

I read your other post from June. I truly feel you need to talk to a therapist and a medical doctor. Reading between the lines, I think a therapist would be very helpful so that you can establish a new and healthy relationship with foods.

And just remember as you try to find your perfect maintenance intake you very likely will gain a bit of weight. And it's OK if you do. Taking care of yourself first on the inside, will do wonders for where you appear to emotionally be right now.
  • maggie16sweetxoxo
    maggie16sweetxoxo Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    This is tricky, I did something similar (about 700 calories a day), gained 10lbs after increasing my calories to a normal amount, but was able to maintain on 1500-2000 calories a day after my gain.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Go to a doctor.
  • sophierobbins96
    Options
    This is tricky, I did something similar (about 700 calories a day), gained 10lbs after increasing my calories to a normal amount, but was able to maintain on 1500-2000 calories a day after my gain.

Could I ask how you increased to a normal amount? Was it something similar to a 100 calorie increase weekly or did you just jump to a normal amount?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Go to a doctor.

^^ this exactly.
    Not because you are somehow tragically ill, but because your doctor is the best one to assess the situation.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    First, go talk to a doctor.

Second, you weren't tkaing care of yourself before, and the low calorie intake has affected your metabolism. It slows down to keep your body running with less. My guess is that your current maintenance being so low, is a result of this. You really shouldn't be eating less than 1200 calories in a day.

Go talk to your doctor.
  • maggie16sweetxoxo
    maggie16sweetxoxo Posts: 314 Member
    Options

Could I ask how you increased to a normal amount? Was it something similar to a 100 calorie increase weekly or did you just jump to a normal amount?

I don't know how much exactly, but it was very moderately... It took about 9 months.
  • iamanadult
    iamanadult Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    No. Just no.
  • MgmXT
    MgmXT Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Real Talk: You know that you have lost this weight in an unhealthy sort of manner. Don't be surprised if the weight you see on the scale goes up after you go back to eating. This is due to your metabolism probably being lowered from not enough calories being consumed. Do not fret though. As someone said, you should stop using the scale and start looking in the mirror for results now. Slowly increase your caloric intake every week. Again yes, your weight may go up but this should probably be ignored. As your body has been in ketosis so long you may have lost a lot of muscle mass and the weight that you rapidly regain will be some fat, but muscle as well. Make sure that you also increase/maintain being active through all of this. This does NOT mean go to the gym and pump out 3 hours of hardcore exercise. Maybe start with some low/moderate activity and work your way up. If you want to keep your body fat percentage low, then increase your caloric intake but watch WHAT you eat. If you do not eat properly then all the weight you gain back will be fat, if you eat clean then the weight you gain back will only be some fat, but your muscle mass will also slowly be restored. So as you increase activity keep eating clean but increase your lean protein intake so that you regain your muscle mass and not fat. Hope this helps :)
  • tainahsm
    tainahsm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Please do see a doctor, especially if your periods have become irregular or nonexistent. Your diet may be impacting your development.

That said, it is possible to live on a 1,200 calorie diet as long as you're eating the right things. Try eating every 3 hours max (ideally every 2.5 hours), and always have both a source of protein and a source of carbs (snack suggestions: a banana with cottage cheese, or a yogurt with strawberries, or an apple and a slice of cheese). Spacing out your meals and always having protein+carb will help keep your metabolism high. And yes, it is possible to eat every 3 hours and still be within 1,200 calories, I've been doing it for awhile now and have plenty of energy to hit the gym everyday.

Also, drink a LOT of water. Dehydration also slows down your metabolism and makes you tired.

Regardless, please go see a doctor/nutritionist.