Ack, Headaches!

Options
I started on my weight loss goal about 2 weeks ago, and have hit the ground running. Eating well, staying to low calories, working out 4-6 times per week. Recently (about a week ago), I started getting terrible headaches. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem with switching their lifestyle over so quickly.

I have been on a rigorous workout and diet before without headaches, so this is new to me. I am going to the doctor tomorrow, just in case, but wondered if anyone else encountered this same problem.

If you have, any suggestions on how to make it stop?

Replies

• jesse14472
    Options
    My biggest problem that caused headaches after working out......apparently I was holding my breath. Once I focused on my breathing during the moves, no more headache. Also, I got major headaches for about 1-2 weeks after I gave up caffiene. Hate those caffiene headaches! But I found that if I increased my water, it helped tremendously. Good Luck!
  • dmcbeauty
    Options
    Agree with Jesse14472, make sure you're getting enough water.
  • careybee
    Options
    I have tried everything! Lots of water, lots of sleep, allergy medicine, yoga. Bleck!
  • darcibean
    Options
    Same thing here, but I have a feeling for me it's a withdrawal from soda/caffeine. I was drinking regular soda, about 2 a day, and I just stopped completely. I drink a ton of water and get pretty bad headaches too. I end up taking excedrin because I can't take the pain anymore.
  • Dionne2010
    Options
    I was having severe headaches before and I learned that the artificial sweetner that is used in diet sodas, and in the crystal light type water mix-ins called aspartime (sp) is horrible for ur body, causes cancer and of course too much intake can cause headaches.

Please dont just take my word for it, google it and see for yourself. I have sinced stopped using any diet drink that has aspartime in it and i only use the drink mix ins that are sweetened with either stevie, truvia, splenda or any other NATURAL sweetner!

Best of luck my friend
    Dee*
  • jesse14472
    Options
    Have your blood pressure checked while at the doctor's office. High blood pressure can cause severe headaches.
  • careybee
    Options
    My blood pressure is good, I just had it checked two weeks ago. I barely drink any soda or caffinated beverages! I am getting scared that it's something really bad!
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I've been getting mild headaches lately, but I think mine is due to caffeine fluctuations (a lot one day, a little the next day, etc.).

If I eat aspartame I get headaches. If you check the ingredients in your food, you’d be surprised where they sneak it in. It’s in most nonfat yogurt (if I eat more than 2 nonfat yoplaits, or eat them about 3 days in a row I get a headache). It’s in a lot of the “diet” foods that are marketed as healthy substitutions.

Check your sugar intake too, either too much or cutting it out 100% might cause it.

Stress can cause headaches, and tightened/sore muscles can cause headaches.

Make sure you're eating enough calories (over 1200) or you can get headaches because you're not giving your body enough fuel.

Those are a few of my ideas... and reasons why I usually get headaches that I've noticed.

If you log your food 100%, make sure you print it out and take at least a week’s worth to your doctor if they have any questions on your nutrition.
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    If youve covered all the bases that everyone else has said, definately go to the doc! You could have something severly wrong. Not trying to sound over zealous but check it out. You can't be too sure about it.
  • careybee
    Options
    Just in case anyone was curious...they turned out to be tension headaches (which is like having mini migraines all the time), so my Dr. prescribed me some muscle relaxants. Hope they help, I could use some non-headache time right about now!
  • jesse14472
    Options
    Sorry about the stress, but glad to hear it wasn't something worse. Hope the muscle relaxers work for you.....they just make me loopy. :tongue: