HELP!

Options
So I have to admit, I haven't been doing well when it comes to weight loss. Currently I'm on a crash diet---I know not great but I am desperate to lose the weight that I have to for my job. Now that's starting to not work and I am just stressed out and I'm scared of gaining back the pounds that I've lost. I really need advice on how to lose weight in a healthier way. I don't know about trying supplements and weight loss shakes because honestly there are so many to choose from that I'm overwhelmed with trying to decide what to pick. I want to come up with a plan and stick to it. Thanks guys!

Replies

• magentamorbid
    magentamorbid Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    First, I'd say relax, calm down and breathe. Re-evaluate what your average food intake is like and go from there. That's what I did, still am doing, and that's where it'll surprise you the most.

Next, write a shopping list. When you're picking up food, look at see if there is a healthier version or not. Plan meals ahead of time, yeah, but if you buy healthy ingredients then you'll have healthy dishes. I make up my meals on the spot, adding spices and whatnot depending on what I fancy. Log everything that isn't a spice. That little bit of butter? That tablespoon of ketchup? All calories my friend. Even that splash of milk in your coffee counts. Miniscule amounts but they add up.

What I struggle with is my sweet tooth. So I make smoothies to replace my late night snacks. Peanut butter, banana and chocolate protein powder/meal replacement powder. Hits the spot for me. But maybe you prefer fruity flavours or something else? Find what you like and try to find a healthier option.

I wish you well. This is how I try to go about it, I still struggle and give in to chocolate and sweeties a lot but I let myself have that and try not to stress too much.
  • GymPoet
    GymPoet Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    One way to not be overwhelmed is to pick a meal plan and just follow it--so then there are no decisions for you to make.

Here's 28 days of meal plans with recipes: http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/weight_loss_diet_plans/diet_meal_plans/weight_loss_diet_meal_plan?pC=1500&pT=diet&pD=1
    Could you try this one for 28 days, and put the food into the MFP food diary as you go, to see the nutrients and calories.

I suggest this because it sounds like you want something where there are no decisions to make.
  • newfiecandy4
    newfiecandy4 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are stressing yourself out way too much about it, and that does not help anyone lose weight! First of all, all of those "supplements" and "shakes" are not miracle weightloss products. The best way for you to lose weight is by wrapping your head around the idea that it takes time, but when you take the time to do it right it will last. I lost 50 lbs three years ago and due to an injury was immobile for some time, and gained a few pounds back. Up until a couple months ago I was panicking just like you, then I realized I was gonna drive myself bonkers obsessing over my weight so I took a breather. There is lots of good information and good tools on this site that will help, but try not to do anything that is way too far from your normal routine or eating habits. If you try and change everything at once you will most likely give up before you adjust. Set your weight program to 1-1.5 lbs per week and track all the foods you eat and incorporate exercise into your day a little bit at a time. We can do it!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    you don't need supplements or shakes or any special plan. count your calories. eat fewer calories than you burn.
    lots of veggies. lean proteins. some fruits and whole grains should make up most of your diet, but there's room for everything else too.
  • crempel83
    Options
    Fad diets don't work, and they leave you feeling dissatisfied. Don't panic, just take a look at your diet and re-evaluate your choices. Every body is different but these are some things that have worked for me:

My number one tip is to really listen to your body when you are eating when you start to feel full, stop eating because it takes your body time to realize it's full that will help to cut down on how much you are eating. Try not to eat unless you are actually hungry.

Another idea is to focus on adding vegetables to all your meals and eat them first, they will fill you up with fewer calories when eaten alongside lean protein.

Try and keep it to mostly whole foods, try not to eat packaged processed stuff because most of it is so bad for you.

Plan ahead. Bring a snack with you or a bottle of water, a lot of times when you feel hungry it's really because you are thirsty. So drink water first!
  • DeneshaS
    DeneshaS Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The thing about meal plans is that I'm in the military and I live in the barracks so I eat at our cafeteria. I can decide what I eat from what they serve. I could save up and buy my own foods but the only things I can cook with are a microwave, a stove with no oven and a george foreman grill.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    The thing about meal plans is that I'm in the military and I live in the barracks so I eat at our cafeteria. I can decide what I eat from what they serve. I could save up and buy my own foods but the only things I can cook with are a microwave, a stove with no oven and a george foreman grill.

If you are eating in that type of cafeteria, I would think there would be a dietician on staff responsible for coming up with the menus. They SHOULD be able to give you nutritional information about the things they serve. Use that information to make good choices, and log you calories.
  • DeneshaS
    Options
    Thank you guys! I'm going to work on. I just felt really out of control with this.
  • DeneshaS
    Options
    That's been my problem and then I start to miss the foods that I gave up and I cave in once I get stressed out.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options

You'd be amazed at what you can make on a foreman grill!

Maybe it is time for you to educate yourself about nutrition, there are so many good resources online! That way you can start to make healthier choices in the cafeteria. If you want lasting results, steer clear of supplements, shakes, and crash diets...those things are not sustainable. Listen to your body, track everything you eat, eat at a calorie deficit, and you will lose weight.

The best tip I can give you is to not focus too much on the number the scale tells you. Track your measurements, take progress pictures, and you will see a difference.
  • DeneshaS
    Options
    I'm addicted to my George Foreman grill. It is amazing! But you are right. I just always sent myself on guilt trips because I ate desserts. Not all the time but sometimes.