Look at this visual 250 lb woman vs 120 lb woman (pic)

Options

Replies

• noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Wow ~ an eyeopener for sure!

Thanks for sharing!
  • CLL1001
    CLL1001 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump
  • maineapple
    maineapple Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    All of that white material is fat. I am in the medical field and have done MRI exams on patients. You can see the white "bright" fat on certain scans. It is always an eye opener and for me. I am apple shaped (hence the username "maineapple") and carry my extra weight around my midsection. I am at greater risk for diabetes and heart disease than others who carry their weight around their hips (pear shaped folks).
  • thenewpath2me
    Options
    Wow... 250 is my short term goal right now... I feel sick looking at that! Scared! I definitely will be thinking about that picture as I put food in my body now. :(
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    bodyscan_zps67791213.jpg?t=1372265654

Kinda blew my mind.. I thought u all would like it as well!

These two pictures show body scans of two women approximately the same age and height. The one on the left weighs 113 kg (250 lbs), while the one on the right weighs 54 kg (120 lbs). Accumulated adipose tissue is not the only difference between the two; the obese woman has an enlarged heart and her lungs are somewhat restricted.

Obesity has recently been declared a disease by the American Medical Association. While this does not have any legal ramifications, it may encourage doctors and insurance companies to take more steps in treating and preventing obesity. However, many disagree with the AMA's definition, citing that obesity is a complex issue with multiple causes and treatment options.

Obesity is defined as having a body mass index over 30 kg/m^2. It greatly increases the risk of Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and osteoarthritis.

More info: http://bbc.in/14whyV6

Posting this again as a Reminder of Why this Journey Is Worth It!!:heart:
  • nlfriddle
    nlfriddle Posts: 3
    Options
    Wow, amazing! Makes you wonder why more people do not have an urgency for being healthy???
  • lenac03
    lenac03 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I startd this journey at 260.9 pounds, so just 10 pounds heavier (and 2 inches shorter, per the magazine page above). Talk about an eye-opener.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    wow .. what an eye opening photo. i also noticed the ankle thing.

thanks for posting this
  • tiffanyraylene
    tiffanyraylene Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Woah!
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Woah! I will be losing this weight. Scary...
  • shopperdisguise
    shopperdisguise Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Fascinating.

Yet scary.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    great reminder that no amount of excess skin should stop anyone from wanting to lose weight.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    This never gets old. When I see my imperfect, aging body in the mirror and feel my knees giving me hell even though they aren't carrying an extra me around, I can still come look at this image and realize how much I've done for myself by losing the weight I've lost.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    It is not just the adipose tissue that sets them apart. Look at the hip, knee and especially the ankle joints. All look compressed and out of alignment. I would like to see a back view as well because I know my back suffered with the extra weight I was carrying and is much better now.

Seeing this really brings it home the kind of damage being overweight can do to your body, damage that we can't see. Just because you do not have diabetes or high blood pressure etc does not mean you are healthy on the inside.

I noticed the knees and ankles too. No wonder obese people have joint problems.
  • CristyinMiami
    CristyinMiami Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I saw this picture online once. It was referencing how some people blame their obesity on being "big boned:"

This is rarely ever, or never ever, the case.
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    WOW! thanks for posting
  • grho
    grho Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Wow... talk about motivation! I think I need to print out a copy of that.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    woah!
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    False, I have more muscle than that 120 lb chick.
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    I was 255 at my heaviest. I can't believe I let myself get there!