HELP!! What am I doing wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP for about two weeks now... but my weight loss seems to be at a stand still already!?! I am staying under calories, trying to limit carbs and exercise. I just can't figure it out. I have quite a bit of weight to lose so I don't think I should be at a plateau this early. I have changed my diary settings to open- so please take a look and offer any suggestions/tips. I am not going to give up but this sure is frustrating!

typically you won't start to see the scale move for a few weeks most times more - i think around the 3rd/4th week i saw the scale move. as for your eating habits if your calorie goal is 1270 then you need to eat to as close to that number if not that number as you can. do not eat under it. a deficit has already been built in to the 1270 number. adding a greek yogurt (one with the least amount of sugar) and some oatmeal will help get your to your calorie goal. also i don't understand your comment about limiting your exercise. why would you do this? speaking of exercise one of your days you logged over 1000 calories burned doing exercise - curious what exactly did you do? i ran 8 miles last saturday and didn't burn that many calories. i didn't even burn 1000. make sure you are accurately calculating your exercise calories.

other food suggestions:

string cheese
    hummus/veggies/crackers heck sometimes i dip my string cheese in the stuff (you can also use it as mayo on sandwiches)
    tuna
    granola bar (just watch the sugars - pick one that is low)
    greek yogurt and a banana
    smoothie (you make yourself not packaged stuff)
    sprinkle chia seeds over a bowl of oatmeal
    peanut butter and apple or just a slice of whole wheat toast
    unsalted peanuts/nuts

this is just a small list of good food stuff to eat. good luck to you.
  • Solomino
    Solomino Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have been a fab dieter most of my adult life. I had a hard time wrapping my brain around eating all the calories allotted to me. I have also been a believer that all carbs are bad....I am use to the rapid weight loss when on these diets but then could never keep it off and like so many people, gained it back, plus some.

I started this program a little over two weeks ago. It was hard stepping on the scale and not seeing any weight come off. I decided to measure myself. I stepped on the scale today and measured myself again. I lost 3 lbs and 1" everywhere.

The biggest challenge for me is changing how I think about weight loss. This is a great program. Hang in there. It will happen.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    One thing I noticed on her profile is that she's a chronic dieter. So while in this post, 2 weeks doesn't sound like a long enough time to have slowed her metabolism, depending on how long she's been at it and repeated the process, there's definitely a chance there's some metabolism slowdown going on.

Hit the weights, Janae :) The more muscle we have on our tubby ol' frames, the more calories we are burning, even at rest. Try to talk to a professional who can give you an honest calorie number to shoot for. Everyone here says 'eat more to weigh less', then MFP calculations tell us to eat 1200 calories a day. There is a lot of conflicting information here (partly because many approaches work for weight loss, lol) But, I feel like I got myself in this metabolism mess because of low calorie intake, and then I look at what MFP is telling me to eat, and like you, it's saying 1200 calories. We'd be hard pressed to find anyone here that says 'oh for sure, 1200 calories a day is fine', even if you do eat back your exercise calories.

Dr to rule out thyroid/diabetes/insulin resistance - they check this with a regular blood panel anyways.
    Nutritionist/registered dietician to analyze your dietary needs
    Weights/group fitness classes to get that metabolism chugging along

You can do it. We all can! I have faith in us :)
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You should over eat for a day or two then drop back down. Sometimes you need to shock yourself. Also intermittened fasting.
  • Janae0221
    Janae0221 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips! That 1000+ log was just me being curious as to how many calories would be burned "spring cleaning". I doubted it's accuracy immediately and didn't factor it in at all into my daily calorie intake.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You should over eat for a day or two then drop back down. Sometimes you need to shock yourself. Also intermittened fasting.

Um, no.
  • Janae0221
    Options
    Thank you for all of the links/information! I really appreciate it. :smile:
  • Janae0221
    Options
    Thank you! Wow... it sounds like you are on the right track... I am sure that you will be in a totally different place a month from now too. :smile:

To be clear... my goal is probably around 100 not 150....that would put me weighing a 100lbs or so... not feasible for me and definitely not a healthy weight for me either. I know that I still have ALOT to lose just didn't want to give the impression that I am shooting for something totally unrealistic. :wink:
    That being said, I have started looking into a dietician/nutritionist in the past day or two.... I would love to take the guess work out of this!
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    LOL Whoops, sorry about that. I could have sworn someone said 150 and I went with it, but now I don't see that post. Derp.

Good luck in finding a professional to help you sort it all out. I know the first registered dietician I went to was AWFUL. She couldn't even explain her own program to me. She just handed me some brochures and said 'do this' and when I asked questions, she stumbled over herself trying to explain it. If you can't explain your OWN program to people, you've got no business in the business, LOL!