How's this for a motivator?

Options
Gout!

Hi, I never introduced myself and this is my first post but I've been using MFP for 9 weeks now and log on everyday. Today is a milestone for me. I'm 53 years old and 5'6" tall and weighed 191 on August 9th of this year. That's somewhere around 30lbs overweight.

I got real motivated to change my diet because I got gout and it was real painful in my right foot and I needed to do something about it. Something drastic like change my diet. That wasn't at all easy. I've been a beer drinker for many years. I never wanted to get drunk but just loved beer and liked that buzz it gave me. I drank 2 to 4 six packs a weekend and of course had to have potato chips with it. Obviously it added weight. I'm surprised it didn't add a lot more.

I was working out regularly at the gym and biking during the week but that was like burning the candle at both ends. It wasn't getting me anywhere.

Thanks goodness for gout! Strange thing to say, right? But I'm actually glad I got it. It was the last straw it and it made me get serious about changing my diet and losing weight.

Gout is a build-up of uric acid in the blood and makes crystals that form in joints. It typically ends up gathering in the feet because of gravity and the fact that feet are the extremities that are the furthest away from the heart. In my case it was so painful that I could hardly walk. It's called the rich man's disease because supposedly rich people eat a lot of red meat and drink alcohol a lot. I did that but wish the money was there also. It wasn't. :)

I went to a doctor and he prescribed medication but all that did was give me insomnia. I gave up on the medication and severely changed my diet instead of taking pills. No more alcohol(not an easy thing to do but I don't really miss it anymore), and healthier food chased the gout away. Hallelujah!

I'm glad the gout happened because as of today, 10/11/10 I've lost 20lbs in 9 weeks.

I don't think I'm doing a perfect diet but I do know that it's working.

Thank you MYFITNESSPAL!

When I hit my goal of losing 30lbs I'll post before and after pictures.

Replies

• nikki91950
    Options
    this is so amazing! i'm so happy for you! congrats on your success! keep up the hard work :D
  • dmcbeauty
    Options
    That's awesome! It is hard to change the lifestyle but it makes it so worth it when you see the results. Good for you and keep it up!
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Good job! keep up with the progress!
  • futurerunner
    futurerunner Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Keep up the good work and stay healthy!
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success! I love reading all the different stories of how people on MFP got to the "I need to change" point. Isn't it strange how something negative can motivate us that way? Keep up the great work!!!
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    What a great story. Congrats!
  • Dreadz_Veggies_4Life
    Options
    Very inspiring I am going through some medical problems now as well, and you are very inspiring. Thank you!
  • annglenn
    annglenn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I would like to know more about some of the food choices that you made. I have the habit of enjoying chicken broth soup with my dinner supposedly to cut down on feeling hungry. But recently I discovered that chicken broth was not good for gout. Can you let me know what has worked for you
  • annglenn
    annglenn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I joined the HMR program (liquid protein) on 6/14/2011 and weighed 305.2 and today I weigh 277.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!