Tofu Shirataki Noodles (House Foods) - Yay or Nay

Options
FitCanuckChick
FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
Just wondering your take on these if you have had them. We are not vegetarians but eat veggie meals a few times a week (not tofu though). I found the Fettucinni Hungry Girlfredon on Hungry-girl website and was thinking of trying it. I am sure I would like them, but just wondering about my kids.

Thanks!

Replies

• LogiesMom09
    LogiesMom09 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    They are an acquired taste. If you try them with the presumption that it will be like real pasta, you will be disappointed. If however, you understand that these are a pasta-like substitute, you may be able to deal with them. I've tried them (fettuccini, angel hair, & spaghetti) but my kids refused to eat them. It may have something to do with the strong fishy smell. You have to rinse them thoroughly in cold water before you cook them and again after you boil them.
  • JennInTx
    JennInTx Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've had them a number of times. I love using the Angel Hair type when making "stir fried" veggies with shrimp or chicken. They seem to take on a lot of the flavors of the spices. I did use them instead of spaghetti noodles once and just couldn't eat them.

And I agree, be prepared for the strong smell. You have to rinse them several times before and after boiling.
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Tried them last night in a fettucinni type recipe. I think for me the texture in a recipe like that just didn't fit. But, I did think they would be really good as a noodle in the stir fry. My daughter tried and just couldn't stomach them. One thing, though, they really made me feel full.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I think they're extremely well suited for Asian inspired dishes, but I think the jump to more Italian based dishes where people expect the texture to be similar to "real" pasta is too big. I happen to like them, but I couldn't eat them everyday.
  • jesindc
    jesindc Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster that they are great with Asian foods because they kind of have a ramen texture. I like to mix them up with a stir-fry.

A few tips that help no matter what type of recipe you use. Rinse them really really well to get rid of the weird fishy smell. Once they are totally rinse, put them in a pan over medium heat to pull out some of the water. They hang onto a LOT of water, so if you skip this step, they tend to water down water you mix them with.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • BlaqueBombshell
    Options
    I use the tofu noodles all the time. I love the Hungry Girl fettuccinne recipe! I usually add 3 oz of grilled chicken or shrimp(about 100 calories) and some frozen broccoli cuts to bulk it up. It a LOT of food for approx 200 total calories. I also use the spaghetti noodles for spaghetti, homemade chicken noodle soup, veggie lo mien, and more. You can get a lot of her recipes for using the noodles in her cookbooks on or hungrygirl.com
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    If you like the texture and feel of chewing rubber bands you will love them. I wanted to like them,rinsed and dried fried etc but was not worth the effort.
  • internalm0nsters_
    Options
    YAY. I absolutely love them. The thing with these is that they absorb the taste of whatever dish you're making (if you rinse it well enough initially, so that the gross fish smell/taste is rid of). I made spaghetti with it the other day, but, for example, I had to rinse and boil a million times, and then boil them in water that had a tomato and garlic salt for a while. Turned out great. However, they're best in Asian dishes.