Stupid Squats

Options
emAZn
emAZn Posts: 413 Member
I took a couple weeks off of my restistance training and yesterday jumped right back into it. And now I can't move my legs thanks to a bajillion (over-exaggeration) kettle bell squats/lunges.

That's great except I had a 5 mile training run scheduled for today, rest tomorrow and 9 mile long run scheduled for friday night. So should I try to power through my run tonight? Maybe try and save it for tomorrow morning?

I'm thinking tomorrow night won't be enough rest for my long run and I'll definitley need some fresh legs for that sucker... Suggestions? - other than continue restistance training so this doesn't happen again ;)

Replies

• just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    Power through your run

Seriously.

I know you won't believe it but it WILL make your legs less sore. There have been so many times where my legs are sore from a hard workout and I didn't think I could run but I hopped on the treadmill and did it any way. At least half a mile to a mile through my legs didn't hurt any more and the next day they were markedly better.

Your 9 miler should be a breeze on Friday.

Note: This is just my personal experience when I've had really, really sore legs.
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Yup, get moving the best you can, as you move more the soreness will ease up and you can ease into your run. I find some gentle stretching of the sore muscle helps too, but warm up first!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Hit the run, and take your time. Mayne I'm different but any soreness I might have is gone by 1-2 miles for sure.
  • maguariento
    maguariento Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I agree. There's nothing I like better after a leg workout than some leg-centered cardio. I feel it helps flush the lactic acid through the muscles. I think the science behind it would be 100% off, but it works for me. Ah... And hydrate!!! Can't flush without water!
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Uuuuuughhh lol I was afraid this might be the answer... Thanks for the replies!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone else so far. Power through the run tonight-ease up on your pace if you have to. If the resistance training starts to be a problem against your running plans, make small adjustments to it. Strength training really helps with running, though, so I recommend sticking with it.
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I was literally asking myself the same question about 5 minutes ago.

I guess I will pull up my big girl pants and run through the pain tonight. I was sooooo looking forward to making an excuse not to. :laugh:
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Power through. You will feel better after about the first mile. You can do this!!