I'm SO hungry!

Options
Why am I so hungry all the time? I just don't get it. It's SO HARD to stay within my calorie limits! I've been going over everyday, mostly because I crave sweets. But I also crave bread and butter, cheese, pasta...all the bad things. I've tried getting lots of protein in the morning by drinking a protein shake instead of carbs, but then I crave carbs even more. In the evenings, I crave sugar big time (mostly chocolate). Anyway, I feel like I'm starving most of the time. Maybe more-so today because I only had a salad for lunch (with no protein or carbs- because I didn't have any chicken cooked and ready to go) . But I still have been snacking like mad. Ugh! The only snacks I keep around at work is fruit and almonds usually. But today I found a bag of rice chips in my desk and couldn't resist. Now I only have 380 calories left for the day when I haven't had dinner yet and I'm starving! :( Now what do I do?

Check out my diary if you want. I just changed it today to split up the snacks, so it might look messed up now- it put my lunches in my snack category, etc. but I'm thinking splitting the snacks up will help me in the future better understand how much I am eating throughout the day and when I am the most hungry, etc.

Replies

• emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    Sound just like me. I am a huge binger when i get home from work. Right now, I'm at my calories and I ran on a treadmill this morning!! They only way i can possibly come in under my calories is to exercise my @ss off!! I love to eat too much. Quite honestly, i have no idea how so many people on MFP can eat so little each day. I'd be completely famished (and really angry).:mad:
  • dendra7
    dendra7 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Heck- Have a bigger lunch. I HAVE to have a little protein at breakfast AND lunch. MUST MUST or I freak out!! :grumble:

I try to eat lunch just a little later in the afternoon (like 1pm instead of 12) and to always eat just a little something every 3-4 hours. More than that and I tend to lose it.

My only other twp tricks (because I'm usually emotionally or head "hungry") sugar free gum & hot tea. Works every time.

You can do it!! Take it one hour at a time!
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Sound just like me. I am a huge binger when i get home from work. Right now, I'm at my calories and I ran on a treadmill this morning!! They only way i can possibly come in under my calories is to exercise my @ss off!! I love to eat too much. Quite honestly, i have no idea how so many people on MFP can eat so little each day. I'd be completely famished (and really angry).:mad:

I know! I would have to work out after work, which isn't possible since I work after work (I do photography part-time) So lunch is my only chance and I only get 40 minutes to work out since I need to drive to the gym, change, shower, drive back all in the rest of the 20 minutes :( Today I skipped the gym and walked...it was a nice day out and there won't be many of those left. But I don't burn as my calories just walking- and running is not my thing.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    All I can think of is that your body is craving these things because its missing something. Eat your carbs in the form of whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, whole grain bread, etc. instead of trying to skip it altogether. Then when you're craving sweets try the fruit (or choc covered fruit haha!). Make sure you're getting your vitamins and minerals and good luck!

I'm a sucker for salty snacks but my new favorite is baby carrots with ranch. That or air popped popcorn really hit the "snacking" spot!
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I definitely understand where you're coming from. I've found some protein bars that are absolutely delicious (Classic Zone Perfect Protein Bars; my favs are Dark Choc with Almonds and Choc Coconut Crunch) for when those cravings for something sweet hits. They're more filling than the usual sweets (cookies, candy, etc) and if you eat it then down a glass of water, it should hold you for a couple of hours. And if not, then you can have some fresh veggies.

My daily intake is very high in protein, I'm always going over in protein, but I've also found that I'm eating less snack foods since joining this community. Stay encouraged! If you're here in the first place, then you're on the right path. It can be tough, but I know you can do it!

Also, make sure you're logging everything that you do, be it the dishes, walking around the block, or even grocery shopping. You're exerting your body and thus burning calories. A little here and there goes a long way!

The best advice I've gotten to keep me from snackign too much: Drink as much water as you can (aim for a gallon if you can, helps with detoxing) and try to eat a little something every 2 hours.
  • ljroberts
    Options
    I have a few suggestions. Make sure you are getting enough fiber as well as protein, and eat food, not shakes. I know some people can drink protein shakes, etc., but I need real FOOD! Keep eating snacks, that's great, but I'd stay away from any kind of crackers, chips, etc. They make me hungrier, too. Even if I'm eating mini rice cakes or something, I buy them only in single-serving packages, because they make me want to eat too many. Also, when you snack, try eating a protein with whatever fruit you are eating. There is a chemical in apples that can actually make you feel hungrier. Pairing apples with nuts or a little peanut butter seems to help. Drinking a lot of water helps me not feel as hungry as well. I usually drink way more than the recommended 8 8 oz. glasses per day.

Do whatever you can to help yourself not get too hungry, because hunger cravings can make you binge. I've lost over 20 pounds so far, and I rarely feel overly hungry. Good luck, and don't give up!
  • mindymoe1
    Options
    if it were me i would stop drinking the meal replacement shake at 230 calories and instead eat 1/2 cup of eggbeaters at only 60 calories maybe some whole wheat healthy life 70 calorie bread for 2 slices and 1 tablespoon of jelly or light country crock butter which has 50 calories. so i believe thats what 180 calories for all of that food. i bet you will stay fuller longer. i cant do meal replacers like that. i end up so hungry.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I actually went to counseling over this!

We need to learn to differentiate between honest-to-goodness hunger (haven't eaten for over 4 hours, my stomach is growling and kind of hurting, maybe I'm even shaking from low blood sugar) and DESIRE. Oh yeah. Desire. I DESIRE everything all the time, but I'm rarely really hungry ('cause I NEVER wait THAT long to eat).

For what it's worth, my counselor actually had me fast one day just to prove to myself that I wouldn't die of starvation, and so that I could really experience what actual hunger feels like.

Then the other big thing that has really been helpful to me is to CONGRATULATE myself for EVERY positive step I take. Did I exercise? Pat myself on the back. Did I pass up a third helping? Hey, congratulate yourself--you know you wanted it. Positive reinforcement is much more helpful than negative.
  • ashleycoleman
    Options
    I noticed that the meal replacement shake you drank had 230 calories. To me, those things are NOT filling and they have too many calories! You could have had something like low calorie toast, veggie sausage and egg beaters. Also, there is a website where you can find all kinds of -0- calorie jellies, CHOCOLATE SYRUP, caramel, etc...and the stuff is actually tasty! My boss told me about it and he has lost 62 pounds in 2 1/2 months...something must be working for him! The website is www.vitacost.com. Check it out...it couldn't hurt!

Best of luck!
  • dmcbeauty
    Options
    I would cut out the shake and eat more smaller meals throughout the day. I try to eat 6 small meals a day. That helps. It doesn't seem to bother me as much if I eat half portions of a meal because I know I can eat the rest of it 3 hours later. Then I'm not starving at my next meal.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I would be hungry if all I ate for breakfast was some fruit and a shake as well. Im not a fan of those shakes but prefer to fill up on real food instead.
    Today for breakfast I ate an entire small grapefruit, one egg plus one egg white, scrambled with some green onion in between 2 pieces of weight watchers bread with one ounce of low fat havarti cheese. It was filling and a good way to start the day.

i find that following this helps:
    eat like a king at breakfast, prince at lunch and pauper at dinner.
    The more substancial your breakfast the better it sets you up for the day. On weekdays i often have cereal (a kashi type usually as i find they are dense and filling) with skim milk and either a cup of strawberries with it or a grapefruit. It is just as important to get in some of those complex carbs for energy so your body is not "craving" them as it is to get in your protein, that was lacking in your breakfast I noticed.
  • dmcbeauty
    Options
    Oh and one more thing...you need a balance. You should have protein, carb and fat in every meal.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Looking at what you eat, you seem to eat a lot of foods that burn quick. Try eating more slower burning foods like oatmeal, pasta and so forth.

An example is oatmeal - "Oatmeal is known for being a food that "sticks to your ribs", meaning that it simply stays in your stomach longer than junk food. This longer stay in your stomach allows you to feel fuller for a longer amount of time. You will find that your body no longer is tortured with the constant cravings that come from simple carbohydrates. Thus, you end up with significantly more energy and less hunger"
  • meanddamonkey
    Options
    I definitely feel you man. I frigging love to eat. Like really really LOVE it. Particuarly pizza and other carb and fat filled deliciousness. Today was day 50 for me on this site though, and I find that I am not really having many problems staying under my calories these days. Granted, I have 400 more calories to play with than you do, so that helps.

I found that the best thing to do for me was to slowly but surely wean myself off of the bad things. For example, I eat subway for luch a lot. The food is good, the calories are easy to account for, and it's convenient. I always used to get cookies with my meal though, and that was an additional 240 or so calories I couldn't afford, so first I dropped one cookie, then got rid of both. Same with lattes on my way to work and so on.

Looking at your food diary, (which is awsome by the way- very healthy stuff), I would say try switching out the meal replacement drink with some yogurt and a couple of string cheeses. You'll get about the same amount of calories and actually have the satisfaction of EATING something, rather than just having a drink. Plus, I find when I eat a string cheese or two in the morning they really tide me over for much of the day.

Another thing I did is to alter my diary into chunks of time, rather than meals and snacks. Granted its all semantics, but it helps me to just listen to my body and eat when I need to rather than feeling compelled to eat a formalized "meal" at breakfast lunch and dinner time.

Anyway, good luck with getting the hunger monster under control. Add me if you like for motivational purposes. :-)
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yes, I find that drinking calories don't fill me up as much as chewing them. Probably because everything is already broken down in the drink and your body doesn't have to work to process it.
  • live2dream
    Options
    I noticed that the meal replacement shake you drank had 230 calories. To me, those things are NOT filling and they have too many calories! You could have had something like low calorie toast, veggie sausage and egg beaters. Also, there is a website where you can find all kinds of -0- calorie jellies, CHOCOLATE SYRUP, caramel, etc...and the stuff is actually tasty! My boss told me about it and he has lost 62 pounds in 2 1/2 months...something must be working for him! The website is www.vitacost.com. Check it out...it couldn't hurt!

Best of luck!

Depending on the brand of shake I use, sometimes they are filling. This new one I just bought obviously isn't ;)

And yes, I LOVE Vitacost! I am one of their biggest customers! :D One of my faves is the Sweet Leaf Stevia from there to use in my hot tea daily- so good and no BAD artificial sweeteners! :) I also get shake mixes from them ;)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    It looks to me like you are not eating a lot of filling foods- salads for lunch could probably use some chicken or avacado or both to make them a little more hearty. Your snacks also seem higher in calorie than in filling content- I suggest trying greek yogurt (there are a variety of flavors), it's not just a bit filling, it's also something you can eat slowly. Look for more fiber and protien- they will keep you fuller longer. and I know it's probably not the most fun but I would cut the drinks back to 1 a week or out altogether- you don't have much but its REALLY high in calories and tends to just make you want to eat rather than fill you up.
  • frglvrnic
    Options
    this is exactly what i would suggest! - eating whole grains not only is better than just eating white rice/white bread/white pasta - but it is a filling food so you will feel full longer and not be starving. for example, if i eat 1/2 cup of quinoa (a grain kind of like brown rice) and an artichoke i feel full for about 3-4 hours. its also only about 190 calories!!!
    you should also be eating about every 3-4 hours or 5 times a day. this will help you keep from crashing during the day and it will also boost your metabolism which is a good thing lol if you want to lose weight.
    when you want something sweet eat fruit, even though some fruit can carry alot of calories - it is a filling food so you are much better off using more calories for a banana or a large peach than less calories for 1 piece of chocolate because you will feel full and much more satisfied for longer!
  • TXBlockhead
    TXBlockhead Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I would agree about cutting out the shake. I don't think what you are getting out of it is worth all of those calories.
  • live2dream
    Options
    I would LOVE to be able to cook a huge breakfast with eggs and toast, etc, but I am NOT a morning person. I can BARELY get my butt outta bed by 7 to leave by 7:30 for work. And I have to shower! Making a shake to go takes me about 5 minutes and I can run out the door with it. That's why I like the shakes. And other varieties have held me over longer. I used to have cereal every morning, but that would leave me hungry (and bloated feeling) all day. :(