After running 5 min after exercise was 135bpm, or 125

Options
Can anyone offer their assistance in telling me whether my heart rate is within normal range? Ive had a few health issues over the past couple of years, Im only 24, but I believe that by only having one functioning kidney my doc says that my blood pressure may be higher than normal - and I think that means heart rate as well? Anyway I believe my resting heart rate is about 85bpm, and after exercise today (running about 2k) it was 135bpm/125bpm. Is this normal? Are there any ways I can get my heart rate to get lower? Ive been exercising for 2-3 times a week the past couple of weeks or so.

Replies

• lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Depends how fast you are running how much effort but my heart rate goes much higher than that during a run often upto 90-95% of my maximum HR 220 - age = Max heart rate. Yours sounds pretty low to me but I am no expert.
  • stitchvalkyrie
    Options
    Keep in mind this was also after exercise. My max heart rate is 196. The say five minutes after it should be 65-85 I thought? As in the closer to the resting heart rate the better, and normally mine would seem way too high.
  • lucan07
    Options
    I have also had serious health problems and use a heart rate monitor when I work out you can set alarms for high and low.

Your question is about recovery heart rate and mine remains some way above resting for some time after exercise, you should measure your resting heart rate when you wake before you get up to get an accurate reading when you have been truly resting at which time mine is 48 and then throughout the day its often 50% higher as in your case.
  • stitchvalkyrie
    Options
    Hmm ok I will give that a try. So if I wake up and its say 60, then it should be at what throughout the day though?
  • lucan07
    Options
    It depends what you are doing at the time any exertion can increase your HR, mine tends to be 66 from 48 but we are all different. I also saw you said in a post that you use the windows phone app, I have a Nokia Lumia and tried it too the results were totally different from my Polar FT1 and my blood pressure monitor so I wouldn't rely on it as accurate.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind this was also after exercise. My max heart rate is 196. The say five minutes after it should be 65-85 I thought? As in the closer to the resting heart rate the better, and normally mine would seem way too high.

Your heart rate probably won't drop back to resting levels 5 minutes after intense exercise. Still being up around 135 does seem a bit high though. Probably want to ask your doctor...
  • stitchvalkyrie
    Options
    Well yeah I have a nokia lumia too and use that app. It still seems pretty consistant to me.

Yeah there is no point asking my doctor, id probably get put on some pills. They already know its slightly high, but I want to know how people normally bring their blood pressure down and heart rate down. I thought it was healthy eating and no smoking with exercise. Well I do eat a lot of veggies normally now, I don't smoke anymore (a few years now) and Ive been exercising for a month or so consistently, shouldn't I be seeing results?

Although I stress. A lot. lol
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    As far as I know the rate at which your heart rate comes back to resting level after exercise is dependent on your fitness level. A resting heart rate of 85 is definitely on the (much) higher side. http://www.topendsports.com/testing/heart-rate-resting-chart.htm

Where is your fitness level at? I generally find as my cardio fitness increase my resting heart rate drops (measured now at my desk it was 44). Also as you get fitter so too will your rate of recovery. As the previous poster said try to measure your resting heart rate first thing in the morning or at least during a period of inactivity. If you are concerned about it a visit to your doctor is in order
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Well yeah I have a nokia lumia too and use that app. It still seems pretty consistant to me.

Yeah there is no point asking my doctor, id probably get put on some pills. They already know its slightly high, but I want to know how people normally bring their blood pressure down and heart rate down. I thought it was healthy eating and no smoking with exercise. Well I do eat a lot of veggies normally now, I don't smoke anymore (a few years now) and Ive been exercising for a month or so consistently, shouldn't I be seeing results?

Keep at the exercise and make sure you're pushing yourself a bit. Your heart gets more efficient at pumping blood as you get fitter so it can pump the same amount of blood at rest with a lower number of beats. It's basically just a muscle and the more you work it the stronger and more efficient it gets. Keep up the exercise and you'll see results
  • stitchvalkyrie
    Options
    Thanks again for all the replies. :)

Yeah my fitness level isn't that great. I do get tired easily and cant run as far as most. it really doesn't surprise me that im not fit and that co-relates with it all. So if I keep on running and exercising for a month, should I see a significate decrease in heart rate after exercise, and recovery time? and hence maybe resting heart rate? I keep forgetting to take my heart rate first thing in the morning before I get up lol.

My running according to my nike sports watch said my first run just under a month ago was 2 kms in 23 minutes. Now today it was 2kms in 17 minutes. Of course I didn't run the whole time, but I did a bit of walking as well..... the workout was really tiring hahahaha.
  • stitchvalkyrie
    Options

Keep at the exercise and make sure you're pushing yourself a bit. Your heart gets more efficient at pumping blood as you get fitter so it can pump the same amount of blood at rest with a lower number of beats. It's basically just a muscle and the more you work it the stronger and more efficient it gets. Keep up the exercise and you'll see results

Thanks a lot! I sure hope so! :)
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    As far as I know the rate at which your heart rate comes back to resting level after exercise is dependent on your fitness level. A resting heart rate of 85 is definitely on the (much) higher side. http://www.topendsports.com/testing/heart-rate-resting-chart.htm

Where is your fitness level at? I generally find as my cardio fitness increase my resting heart rate drops (measured now at my desk it was 44). Also as you get fitter so too will your rate of recovery. As the previous poster said try to measure your resting heart rate first thing in the morning or at least during a period of inactivity. If you are concerned about it a visit to your doctor is in order

^^^This... As you improve your cardiovascular fitness, recovery time decreases. ie... The more fit you are the faster your heart rate will return to normal.
  • stitchvalkyrie
    Options

^^^This... As you improve your cardiovascular fitness, recovery time decreases. ie... The more fit you are the faster your heart rate will return to normal.

Cool, so how then does the heart get so bad anyway in the first place? Is it normally bad eating habits/smoking etc? Because in my job I do stand most days and rush around and what not. So its not like I have a real bad sedentary lifestyle ... hmm.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

Yeah my fitness level isn't that great. I do get tired easily and cant run as far as most. it really doesn't surprise me that im not fit and that co-relates with it all. So if I keep on running and exercising for a month, should I see a significate decrease in heart rate after exercise, and recovery time? and hence maybe resting heart rate? I keep forgetting to take my heart rate first thing in the morning before I get up lol.

My running according to my nike sports watch said my first run just under a month ago was 2 kms in 23 minutes. Now today it was 2kms in 17 minutes. Of course I didn't run the whole time, but I did a bit of walking as well..... the workout was really tiring hahahaha.

The 220-age formula is grossly inaccurate and should be disregarded. A simple, accurate way to determine max HR is to get out and run until you think your heart will explode and then run some more (you can't hurt your heart by exercising hard). You'll only need to do it every few years because Max HR declines very slowly until you get into senior citizen range.

Max HR is greatly determined by genetics and you can't increase it.

Resting HR is a combination of fitness and genetics. As you get more fit, in a cardio sense, your RHR will continue to drop. Three years ago (I was 295 pounds) my RHR was in the 60's. Now, after a few days of rest from running, it ranges from 39 to 41 BPM and that's a 57 year old (57 as of today, in fact!).

Don't do too much too soon! Many folks decide to take up running, get the right shoes and clothes, run too fast, too far, too soon, and end up getting injured and quitting.

If you run consistently, it doesn't have to be long or fast, you will see your HR numbers improve in a month. I used an ellip from Jan 2011 to June 2011. On June 6, 2011, I started training and, 10 weeks later, ran a Half marathon in an easy 2:21.

You can do it! Just take it easy on your body and you'll be kickin' butt in no time!
  • stitchvalkyrie
    Options

The 220-age formula is grossly inaccurate and should be disregarded. A simple, accurate way to determine max HR is to get out and run until you think your heart will explode and then run some more (you can't hurt your heart by exercising hard). You'll only need to do it every few years because Max HR declines very slowly until you get into senior citizen range.

Max HR is greatly determined by genetics and you can't increase it.

Resting HR is a combination of fitness and genetics. As you get more fit, in a cardio sense, your RHR will continue to drop. Three years ago (I was 295 pounds) my RHR was in the 60's. Now, after a few days of rest from running, it ranges from 39 to 41 BPM and that's a 57 year old (57 as of today, in fact!).

Don't do too much too soon! Many folks decide to take up running, get the right shoes and clothes, run too fast, too far, too soon, and end up getting injured and quitting.

If you run consistently, it doesn't have to be long or fast, you will see your HR numbers improve in a month. I used an ellip from Jan 2011 to June 2011. On June 6, 2011, I started training and, 10 weeks later, ran a Half marathon in an easy 2:21.

You can do it! Just take it easy on your body and you'll be kickin' butt in no time!

Thanks! Oh and happy birthday! :)

I have been running about once a week for three weeks now, I do little other exercises in the comfort of my own home for fun rather than going to the gym (even though I have membership, something different) so my runs have consisted of running 2kms outside, and it went from taking me 23 minutes, to down to 17, including walking when I was too tired. So once a week isn't bad for a run outside, as you said I don't want to overdo it, I would love to do more running outside but I get sooooo slack sometimes hahaha
  • giorgioc722
    giorgioc722 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

This this this this this. When I got into running I did way to much way to fast, and now I'm doing PT to try and heal my ITB. I refuse to quit tho :p I'll heal!

Be-careful!
  • sukiwabi
    sukiwabi Posts: 221 Member
    Options

Cool, so how then does the heart get so bad anyway in the first place? Is it normally bad eating habits/smoking etc? Because in my job I do stand most days and rush around and what not. So its not like I have a real bad sedentary lifestyle ... hmm.

the heart is a muscle. and while the cells in the heart are specialized differently than other muscles in the body, it is still a muscle. when it is not used, it becomes less efficient. as others have pointed out, after you use it and it responds positively to being used, it will pump more efficiently and your recovery time will become less in time. in other words, the time it takes for you to get back down to resting heart rate will lessen.
    changes like this do not happen overnight. It took me months of running before i started to really feel my body recover super quickly immediately after the run. keep at it and don't overthink it or despair. know your limits, but don't be afraid to push yourself a bit into the uncomfortable zone to get some results.
  • sukiwabi
    sukiwabi Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    and, not to be snarky, but i just wanted to say that i've seen a rash of "oh hey, i started running one day and then 3.784 weeks later i ran a marathon! eleventy!!! go meeee!" posts lately... and in the same breath be told to take it slow. mere weeks of training is ridiculously quick to go from 0 to marathon or half or whatever.

please don't despair if it takes you what seems to be more time and more effort than others. Just do it for yourself and don't fall down the rabbit hole of comparisons. go at your own pace and keep yourself from getting injured or suffering setbacks. good luck! :)
  • stitchvalkyrie
    Options
    Thanks, I'll do my best to keep it up! :)