Former/Current Dancers

Options
jmorale6
jmorale6 Posts: 18 Member
Hello. I am a former dance major who is looking to get back into dancing shape. I was 125 during my dancing days. I used to dance 30+ hours a week.

A decade later and my weight jumped to 183. That was a real wake up call because very often we either don't notice the weight come on or we live in a world of denial. I am now down to 161 and am looking to get back into dancing shape.

Dancers, how many hours a week do you dance and how do you incorporate "normal" workouts into a dance schedule? This is the first time I have actually started working out, as dance used to be all that I needed.

Replies

• hajenkatt
    hajenkatt Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    As a former dancer, I have found my dance fix with Jazzercise. I know it sounds crazy and what my mom would have done back in the day, but I found out a few of the moms from my kids' school were Jazzercise instructors and they told me not to knock it before I tried it. I tried it, and I LOVED it. It has enough choreography to keep me interested and as a dancer you can go full-out if you want. Of course the energy level depends on having a good instructor, but on a good day I easily get in a 700+ calorie burn for a one hour class. When my schedule allows it, I go three times a week. The main thing I noticed is that Jazzercise gave my arms great definition. My core and legs have always been strong, but it has helped even out other parts of my physique I tend to ignore. So, for what it is worth, I suggest trying a class or two to see if it suits you.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I started dancing again in Feb but am only taking 1 class a week. And sadly the ballet class I am going to is ending this week, will have a little bit of time off before starting my dance classes for my dance minor (I will be dancing 5 days a weeks instead of 1).

Bumping because I want to see the responses (I am also off and on running and weight lifting as well).
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I just add as many dance classes into my regular workout schedule. I don't replace any work out with dance, just in addition to regular cardio or strength. You should look in to adult classes at rec centers or community colleges. They tend to be cheaper than a studio.
  • lexiek47
    lexiek47 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    hello! i feel like this is the topic for me since i've been a competitive gymnast,dancer and ccontortionist for over 10 years. I quit this year to focus on my studies and my future because 25 hours + a week was just too demanding. At first I was scared to gain weight but luckily this year i've been able to maintain and improve my health. I highly recommend getting in to hot yoga because if you feel like you're missing dance, it's the perfect blend of flexibility and strenght similar to dance. I also try to hit the gym 3x a week for light cardio and bodyweight exercise. When I was dancing, it was difficult to find time to work out properly because of soreness and just being busy. I find that running 2x a week, going to the gym 3x and squeezing in 1 or 2 hot yoga classes has been better than the 25+ hours of dance.
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I was a professional dancer for 5 years. I haven't really put it back into my exercise yet. My flexibility is terrible now but hoping to get it back eventually.

Feel free to add.
  • shareces
    shareces Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Dancer here!...but im looking to really tone and shape. Havent danced much in a while but will be this fall.
  • jmorale6
    jmorale6 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It's awesome to hear from so many of you.

I have already registered for 3 dance classes (Ballet, Modern, and Tap) for this Fall semester. I'm excited but nervous due to being out of it for so long. And also some chronic injuries that still plague me. I have tried zumba and barre, but nothing is as fun as a real dance class. Feel free to add me!
  • jamesguidera
    jamesguidera Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Currently i dance Lindy Hop (aka swing). So much fun and because of the tempo of the music and speed required for a lot of the dance it is a great workout.

Here to find more dancers, be inspired and tone myself. At present attending conditioning classes at The Wellington circus trust, and starting Adagio (partner acrobatics) this week to help with the aerial moves done in Lindy Hop.

Would be great to hear and talk to others dances, so add me..
  • meels709
    meels709 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I've never danced too seriously but it was a huge part of my childhood/adolescence. I took every class I could for almost 15 years.

I just started taking a tap class at my college and I fell back in love immediately!
    Just like that I'm back to tapping under my desk in class. I know I can't be the only one who did/does that!

feel free to add!