Marine Wife hoping to drop 10 before he gets home

Options
Hello my name is Cindy I am 7 lbs from my healthy bmi weight but I hope to lose 30 lbs and 8% body fat hopefully I can lose at least ten lbs this month before my husband a United States Marine comes home. I plan on running 5 days out of the week and lifting 3 days out of the week.

Replies

• theslimapple
    theslimapple Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi! Fellow military wife here - hubby is ex infantry and a NG now. Since you say you're 7 lbs away from a healthy bmi you should aim for 1 lb a week fat loss max.

Remember, you don't want to just lose the weight, you want to keep it off. Anything more a week will put your body into starvation mode, especially if you work out 5 days a week and don't eat enough calories to sustain yourself. 4-5 lbs in a month is what you need to aim for!

I wish you luck on your journey! There's a lot of helpful people on these forums so don't be afraid to ask questions!
  • mrzdew
    mrzdew Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This is totally me! I'm a navy wife trying to drop some pounds before my hubby comes back from deployment! Hopefully we can motivate each other ! Request sent!
  • Whiskeygirl3132
    Whiskeygirl3132 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am a Navy Mom trying to lose weight before my son comes home from deployment. If he can endure what he is doing then i can motivate myself to lose weight and exercise more. I would like him to be as proud of me as i am of him!
    By the way-thank you and your family for your sacrifice!!!!!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Hi! Fellow military wife here - hubby is ex infantry and a NG now. Since you say you're 7 lbs away from a healthy bmi you should aim for 1 lb a week fat loss max.

Remember, you don't want to just lose the weight, you want to keep it off. Anything more a week will put your body into starvation mode, especially if you work out 5 days a week and don't eat enough calories to sustain yourself. 4-5 lbs in a month is what you need to aim for!

That's a pretty aggressive and unrealistic goal unless one is obese to start with. A 4-5# loss every month is unlikely to occur and if it does, a lot of it may be muscle mass. And no, about starvation mode. It exists but not in the context that you are talking about.

OP, eat at a caloric deficit, workout, and have patience.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
  • DRJ311
    DRJ311 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

That's a pretty aggressive and unrealistic goal unless one is obese to start with. A 4-5# loss every month is unlikely to occur and if it does, a lot of it may be muscle mass. And no, about starvation mode. It exists but not in the context that you are talking about.

^^This.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Yup, and also, putting a deadline on a weight loss goal is not wise. Your body does not care about your timeline, and you're likely to be disappointed if you don't meet it.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I would say run 3 - 4 days, and up weight lifting to 4 - 5 days....

But good luck in your goals. Be smart and realistic about it, so this way you don't mess up and regret it later.
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I disagree with previous posters about this. If you are just going to try to lose the 10 pounds very quickly and then relax into a less aggressive schedule to lose the rest I say go for it. Just because you push for ten pounds doesn't mean you can actually achieve it in that amount of time but I don't see any harm in having a lofty goal. Just don't be hard on yourself if you don't make it.

Also, thank you for your husband's service and your support of him.
  • cindyellis9404
    cindyellis9404 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support I will definately use your advice
  • Last2bfirst
    Last2bfirst Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    SemperFi Marine, great job and keep on the attack. I can tell your from 20 years as a Marine and many returns to the great USA that he will Love you no less by how you appear but will greatly appreciate your commitment and discipline. And if he does not, let him know the the Gunny will come and school him.

Blessings
  • cindyellis9404
    Options
    Your post just made me giggle! I could see my husband being very skiddish about offending a gunny! Thank you for your support and your service. God bless:)
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Running 5 days a week? I wouldn't.... Remember weight loss happens in the kitchen.
  • cindyellis9404
    Options
    And the kitchen is my struggle... so right. I love to run and weight train. I really need to fix the other problem, my diet.
  • henrysmom13
    henrysmom13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi Cindy. I'm new here as well, and good luck. The kitchen is my struggle as well. I need to just stay away. Period.
  • cindyellis9404
    Options
    You go girl! I hope to avoid mine as well
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    You can add me. I hope you lose the weight before he comes home!
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Cindy I am 7 lbs from my healthy bmi weight but I hope to lose 30 lbs and 8% body fat hopefully I can lose at least ten lbs this month before my husband a United States Marine comes home. I plan on running 5 days out of the week and lifting 3 days out of the week.

yeah, I don't see how a woman who is close to slender can lose 10lb in 4 weeks. that's 2 1/2lb a week. Even an obese person would consider that a challenge.

the slimmer you are when you go on a diet, the greater the ratio of muscle to fat loss you will experience. Which is to say, if you try to go fast you will lose lots of muscle, which will lower your metabolic rate and not be your friend. Also if you are relying on your muscles and exercise to help you to lose the weight, you are shooting yourself in the foot if you redigest the muscle.

I hope I am able to lose 1lb a week when i get down to your weight. I truly do. But I will probably be happy to settle for 1/2.

Good luck with it all. :)
  • cindyellis9404
    Options
    Thank you for the support, I understand that my goal is pretty high. However, I am trying to reach my goal anyways in the healthiest manner possible. If I cannot drop 10 that is fine, but I want to try

yeah, I don't see how a woman who is close to slender can lose 10lb in 4 weeks. that's 2 1/2lb a week. Even an obese person would consider that a challenge.

the slimmer you are when you go on a diet, the greater the ratio of muscle to fat loss you will experience. Which is to say, if you try to go fast you will lose lots of muscle, which will lower your metabolic rate and not be your friend. Also if you are relying on your muscles and exercise to help you to lose the weight, you are shooting yourself in the foot if you redigest the muscle.

I hope I am able to lose 1lb a week when i get down to your weight. I truly do. But I will probably be happy to settle for 1/2.

Good luck with it all. :)
  • theslimapple
    theslimapple Posts: 38 Member
    Options

^^This.

4 lbs in a month is an agressive goal? Hm no. I disagree. It's a perfectly healthy goal to have and you will not lose muscle mass if you weight train and eat the calories your body needs to function.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Army wife. But he is heading out soon :brokenheart: This will be number 3 for us. I do pretty well when he is gone as I use the alone time at night to workout or prep healthy meals. For me, I don't buy any binge worthy junk either. The kids are amenable to eating whatever, from fresh fruit to spaghetti squash.

I need to lose about 30 pounds. and I want to look good for Skype sessions :blushing:

Good luck. Add me if you would like!