Diet pills or supplements

Options
I just started working out and focusing on my diet. And I was wondering if anyone had any positive or negative experience with diet supplements/pills? If so which ones? Because there's so much weight I want to get rid of I was considering them as a possibility but I would also like to know should I waste money or is it worth it? Thanks~ Ki

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Short answer - dont waste your money.

Longer answer - I see this is your first post, so welcome aboard! If you use the "search" function on the message boards you will see that this question is asked quite often. And while a very small minority will say that they found a pill which helped, 99.99% will say you're better spending the money on good nutrition and a gym pass.
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My experience: I have both a positive and a negative experience with only one dietary supplement and that's Slim Fast. I was 16 years old, 5'2, 250lbs and my grandmother suggested I begin the Slim Fast diet and so I did. I lost weight, I got down to 181lbs and I felt fantastic!

It didn't work for me because it wasn't sustainable. After eating at such a low caloric amount for a year+, 700 calories each day, 2 shakes, 220 calories each and then dinner, my metabolism was shot to heck and back. So when I went to the foods I actually wanted, egg bagel with a slice of swiss cheese and ham for breakfast, a can of soup with buttered toast for lunch, hamburger or hotdog with fries with toppings for dinner, the weight came back quickly, with no surprise now that I know what I know.

In the long run learning proper portion sizes, educating yourself on nutrition & fitness and learning to just relax and that moderation does not equal deprivation is the better option.

TL:DR, Save your money!
  • lucylpd
    lucylpd Posts: 16
    Options
    Diet pills are not good for you. The absolute best way to lose weight is to cut your calories and carbs, up your fruit, veg and lean protein intake and do regular cardio with some strength training.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Diet pills - tried and tested, they do not work! The main ingredient in every diet pill is caffeine, it's a great appetite surpressant. If I'm getting cravings I drink tea or coffee, works great!

Supplements - yes! I take a berocca multivitamin every morning, it really does make my body work better and it has also done wonders for my pms, mood swings and anxiety. It made me realise how easy it is to become deficient in essential vitamins whilst still eating a healthy and varied diet. I also take CLA which I find is good for muscle repair and EGCg green tea extract which is a potent anti oxidant.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    As far as supplements go, just take a good multivitamin. But diet pills are designed to keep you on the diet pills. Anyone who is trying to sell you something to "make you thin" is not to be trusted, since their goal is to make money, not to care about whether their product works.
  • realmeryl16
    realmeryl16 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was on Slimina for two months. They worked well and I lost some weight. They suppress your appetite so you can avoid eating too much.

They ARE helpful IF you feel you can't control your eating. If you want to try using pills, I'd say use for a month to reduce your appetite and get used to eating less. When you finish a bottle, you're on your own.
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't really waste the money... Only because there is a good chance you will gain the wait after you lose it and stop pills and supplements!
  • snejkaxo
    snejkaxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I took Metabolife 356 with ephedra probably 15 years ago, and results were mind-blowing! I was thinking holy smokes, why I was working so hard to stay thin if there is a pill for that! Of course, you know what happened later with that product. I had no side effects, so I lucked out, but people dying really was a wake up call for me that there is no such thing as a weight loss shortcut. So this deterred me from trying any other weight loss pills again. My recommendation would be to look into fiber supplements. They help you stay regular, they don't do anything to your body, just pass through, BUT they create additional bulk in your stomach, so you don't feel as hungry. I hope this is helpful.
  • sarfran27
    Options
    My advice to you is, don't waste your money on diet/weight loss pills

Weight loss can be acheived by eating healthy & nutritious food at a calorie deficit (I would search TDEE to help you with this), and working out (find something you enjoy).

Don't over complicate things, be consistent, allow the odd treat, be patient and results will come. Please don't waste your money.

You need to make this a managable lifestyle change for it to work.

In terms of supplements, I take a good multi-vitamin daily.
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Most diet pills contain b vitamins and caffeine.

Drinking a cup of coffee and taking a multivitamin is cheaper.

The only over the counter exception I know of is alli, which blocks a percentage of the fat you eat.

It can have some nasty side effects.

Doctors can prescribe phentermine hcl, which is basically legalized speed. (It will work for a while, but carries a ton of risks, also, most people gain back what they lose pretty quickly after stopping the meds)

I, personally, have tried most, and don't think they are worth it.

If you decide to take one, make sure you research it well, and know what risks you are taking before you put it in your body.
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    well if you have money, u can always buy fruits and all the great stuff for yourself.