"If every day were like today... "

Options
"If every day were like today... You'd weigh _____ in 5 weeks!":

How well does MFP predict weight loss? Has anyone weighed what MFP estimated you'd weigh in 5 weeks?

(Here's to hoping that MFP predicts the future of my weight loss correctly):drinker:

Replies

• Jessica_Mujahidah
    Jessica_Mujahidah Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    MFP tells me that I'd weigh up to 10kg lighter in 5 weeks if everyday were like today. I don't believe it.

But in saying that, every day is not like today, sadly lol.
  • DiaryofaMadFatMan
    DiaryofaMadFatMan Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'll let you know in 5 weeks :laugh:
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    The number changes from day to day. Sadly, I've never stuck with it all that well for long enough to really make it. Not in 5 weeks.

Thankfully, on my bad days, what it tells me I'm hopefully never going to reach again xD
  • ChrisM32205
    ChrisM32205 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It's supposed to change all the time.. your "in 5 weeks" date always changes :smile:

Seems fairly accurate to me.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The problem is that every day is not just like today. Your body just doesn't work that way and MFP can predict anything it wants but it probably isn't accurate.
  • KellyBundyRalph
    KellyBundyRalph Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I tracked this one time, I wrote the weight on the calendar and stuck with my routine, every day it changes because one day I would work out more than the other. I would do walking / elliptical 3 days and strength training at least 2 other days. the calorie burn always different in the end I did not match what it had said but i was closer than when i started.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    this is how it works.

(today's deficit x 7 x 5)/3500 = x lbs lost

your weight in 5 weeks = current weight - x

it doesnt take into account any strength training etc.
  • sweet_blasphemy
    sweet_blasphemy Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    maybe... I don't remember what it said 5 weeks ago... I never thought it was meant to be taken too seriously, I don't get all "wtf MFP, Y I NO weigh wut u said I gunna!" if it's not accurate. I think it's just like a fun little thing to motivate and close out your diary for the day.
  • omariea
    omariea Posts: 11
    Options
    I think the purpose of the "In five weeks..." is not necessarily to be accurate, but more so as a motivational tool for people to stay hopeful, persistent, and dedicated. I personally haven't measured it myself, as I exercise different amounts on different days, but I bet it's probably fairly accurate! BTW anyone who wants another buddy feel free to add me as a friend! :flowerforyou:
  • SlimDownWithChristina
    Options
    I don't think its meant to be taken too seriously, I think its more of a general guideline to be used as an eye-opener.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    For a lark, I once plugged in 1,000,000 quick add calories as my entry after a Chinese buffet dinner...

"If every day were like today, you'd weigh 10,821.6 pounds in 5 weeks".
  • JenzL13
    JenzL13 Posts: 27
    Options
    maybe... I don't remember what it said 5 weeks ago... I never thought it was meant to be taken too seriously, I don't get all "wtf MFP, Y I NO weigh wut u said I gunna!" if it's not accurate. I think it's just like a fun little thing to motivate and close out your diary for the day.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    You all should, just for the fun of it, check what it says you will be in 5 weeks and set a reminder on your calendar to compare the weight with the predicted weight.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I don't find it helpful at all. I'd find it more helpful if it took account of your calories and exercise and weight over a longer period (a week or a fortnight say) and gave you a sensible projection "You're on target to lose this amount by x date". The "if every day were like today" prediction is nonsense and I think it encourages people to eat less and less.
  • alexsheena
    Options
    For a lark, I once plugged in 1,000,000 quick add calories as my entry after a Chinese buffet dinner...

"If every day were like today, you'd weigh 10,821.6 pounds in 5 weeks".

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    at least they were optimistic that you wouldn't die.
  • pytnurse
    pytnurse Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    congrats on losing almost 40lbs.....
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love it, and I compete with it. I try to prove it wrong.

I don't require it to have the powers of God. it doesn't have to be prescient. It just has to be motivational.

which it is. :p
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    You all should, just for the fun of it, check what it says you will be in 5 weeks and set a reminder on your calendar to compare the weight with the predicted weight.
    There's no point unless every day in between was identical.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Well im mad because the first time i did it, i was 10 pounds off, well thats when i was underestimating my calories for a whole month.. now i did it again, and i did make it but i was 5 days early. but it is fun to see that thing give me hope everyday, ,wow to see a number on a scale that i will not have seen in years!!! it is fun to see that number so low.
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Well, i like it. Sure, if you exercise like crazy that day and don't eat like crazy - it will give you an unrealistic number.
    But i decided to record it everyday about 6 weeks ago, so i check it now, and Ok - its not right on everyday - but if i look at it for
    2 or 3 days - 5 weeks ago - its been right on! One of those 3 days is my normal workout and calorie intake - so Yes - it works pretty well and its fun to see that low number on my heavy exercise days!