Harsh Reality

Options
So I've been doing a lot better during September - increased water intake, exercise, weight lifting...all that

But today, was a bad day. I didn't have enough stacks to keep me munching throughout the day at work and someone brought in warm macadamia nut cookies - I lost it....I ate 5 cookies.

I logged into youtube and MFP to get some motivation and saw my "Member since October 2011" sign under my name. It's been 2 years and the most I've ever lost has been 8 pounds!

I was a JUNIOR in college when I began my journey and I have since graduated, relocated, and am now working over 40 hours a week. Life didn't stop. Now, I've been happy, and have achieved great success in about every area of my life - but this 2 year anniversary is definitely a harsh reality. I don't understand how I can have so much will power and dedication in EVERYTHING else, but this weight loss.

I'm tired of talking about it, I just want to lose this weight! I haven't been able to control my cravings, I'll do good for a month or two and then go back to my old ways. Someone PLEASE just send some encouragement over my way please!!

Replies

• harleyjax
    harleyjax Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling, I have horrific sweet tooth cravings....pretty much all the time! I know that it's so hard to say no, but you can do it! Even when you feel like crying, think of how happy you'll be one month, one year from now. When you have beastly cravings and hunger, be a beast right back and say no!

It'll really suck sometimes lol but in the long run, it's what's best, best for you, your family and your health. *hugs* And good luck!!
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I think most people are the same way, its hard to avoid good tasting foods at times. Its better to not freak out over it and just move on. You should still allow yourself to eat cookies and cakes now and then, just keep it under control and in moderation. Then you'll never truly miss it.

That said, I've been there and lost/gained weight back a few times now. Just ask yourself this next time you think about gorging or slacking...

Do I hate eating healthy and exercising? Sometimes. Do I like being fat? Nope! Guess I better keep eating healthy and exercising then. Haha!
  • iSpeakLife
    iSpeakLife Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys!
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Hey same here!!! I have been on here for 2 years, and it's only "logged" on here that I've lost 5 pounds, I've lost about 10 total, in all, but I completely understand, the only thing to do is to keep going...even if I can't workout a day or two here, I try to be more active in general, go to the beach, take my dog on longer walks, deep clean or rearrange my house! lol, something! i keep repeating to myself it's a lifelong journey not a marathon, but I completely get what your talking about I see all these amazing stories of people losing all this weight in so much amount of time and it upsets me sometimes, but they worked hard to get there and so do we!
  • Wretched61
    Wretched61 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    One thing to think about when you have your cravings, is that it's only for a short while. We tend to think that how we're feeling at the moment is how we'll always feel. But the truth is, the craving will pass,. It will keep coming back, but it will keep going away too. If you can keep your mind otherwise occupied and wait, you can pass over the cravings. :wink:
  • queenwildcat
    Options
    The way that I handle cravings is to avoid prohibiting anything to eat. If I want a cookie, I have A cookie. I allow myself a taste, realizing that that taste means an extra number of minutes on the treadmill or exercise bike. If I say something is off limits, my psyche seems to DEMAND that I eat twelve of them; to counterbalance that crazy "need," I have one. Maybe that could work for you...
  • randysbombshellgirl
    randysbombshellgirl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Same here been on MFP for 14 months and it's been a rollercoaster ride. I'm way up and my pants are tight :noway:
    so I'm with you girl today's a new day lets take the baby step to get where we want to go!
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you are disappointed and aggravated. Weight loss can be a daunting task. On the bright side you have accomplished so much in other areas of your life and that is GREAT! Weight loss and a healthy life style are mostly a "head game" at least for me that has been the case. The other positive is, had you not been signing in here for the past two years you might be in a much worse place weight wise. So give yourself a bit of a break. The times I've struggled and there have been many, I try to just do a few little things right consistently. I make sure I drink my water, make sure I log my food (no matter how bad) try to take a 15 minute walk everyday. Sometimes it is the little steps that lead to the big steps. Hang in there!!!
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I want to let you know that it is COMMON to be successful in a lot of things in life but the department of health/weight. Don't think will power; think small, mini, micro changes. One thing at a time.

Logging is not your second nature, so what? I never did, thought it was lame, but turned out to be a great tool for me. It may be so for you, it may be. Even coming here to chat would help. Find your "click".

Chin up.
  • Blamber21
    Blamber21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Was just about to post something similar.. Just noticed I'd been here over two months and my scale today says I've only lost 1lb. Its nice to see I'm not alone, but just like you said I'm sick of talking about it...
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Why not fit the treats into your life?
  • AubieMae
    Options
    It has been the same story with me. Except...I have GAINED 15lbs all the while trying to lose weight. I am now committed to counting every single calorie that I eat.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    For me this isn't about restriction but learning to maneuver though life's situations making the best choices for me at any given time. Last night I celebrated my oldest daughters birthday and enjoyed a cupcake. I can't go through life never having or enjoying food so I didn't eat a ton of cake and I won't have it again for a while its about portion size and not eating it every day. This is the only way I can be successful on this journey. I do not let the numbers on the scale define who I am but rather eat for my health now.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you are disappointed and aggravated. Weight loss can be a daunting task. On the bright side you have accomplished so much in other areas of your life and that is GREAT! Weight loss and a healthy life style are mostly a "head game" at least for me that has been the case. The other positive is, had you not been signing in here for the past two years you might be in a much worse place weight wise. So give yourself a bit of a break. The times I've struggled and there have been many, I try to just do a few little things right consistently. I make sure I drink my water, make sure I log my food (no matter how bad) try to take a 15 minute walk everyday. Sometimes it is the little steps that lead to the big steps. Hang in there!!!

Well said.
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You are not alone! I was grumpy this moring and made the worst breakfast choice possible. Now I'm grumpy because of that :tongue: I need to remind myself how bad I want this and the reasons I want it. I/we need to realize it's not going to be easy but it's doable and we will have bad days - we just have to pick up ourselves back up and remember we can always do better the next day.
  • mlb567
    mlb567 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have had all the same struggles and sometimes looking to where you want to be seems a place that is impossible to get to.
    For 3 or 4 years I stayed at the same place, I would lose then I would gain for various reasons.
    Gradually over time I stopped beating myself up over my weight and addressing the situation rationally.
    I know I have time to go on my elliptical every night or go for a run at lunch.
    I know I can eat a healthy breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
    I know I can take a day to eat fries, gravy, and fish tacos if I want to.
    My life has been so much more pleasant this way.
    Yesterday I was craving a sweet, so I had a birthday cake pop with my friend at Starbucks. 170 calories and I savored it.
    Without the guilt and the shame and comparison to others I am three pounds away from 130 - somewhere at one point I figured there was no way I could get back to there.

It is OK to snap! Just put that day behind you. It was yesterday. Let go of the shame.
    Focus on the new day.
    Small steps to climb a big mountain.
    Celebrate your successes more than focusing on a failure.
    Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I think most people are the same way, its hard to avoid good tasting foods at times. Its better to not freak out over it and just move on. You should still allow yourself to eat cookies and cakes now and then, just keep it under control and in moderation. Then you'll never truly miss it.

That said, I've been there and lost/gained weight back a few times now. Just ask yourself this next time you think about gorging or slacking...

Do I hate eating healthy and exercising? Sometimes. Do I like being fat? Nope! Guess I better keep eating healthy and exercising then. Haha!

I agree...you need to remind yourself that the positives that accompany eating healthy far outweigh the negatives...cravings pass, but results last. That said, a cheat meal, occasional treat, etc. goes a long way in preventing you from feeling deprived. You got this! :)
  • iSpeakLife
    iSpeakLife Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am literally so touched by the words of encouragement and advice. Normally I'm the "strong" person and am always sending some positive things to say to my friends and family - however YESTERDAY (and today) I needed some for myself and clearly I came to right place!

You all are awesome and your transparency is truly truly appreciated. I packed baked tilapia, brown rice, and cabbage for lunch and allowed myself one cookie - and I logged it so I wouldn't lie to myself, lol. My kickboxing class is tonight and I am looking forward to it.

One day at a time we all will make it! Thanks so much. I love MFP!
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Yes, one day at a time!
    It took me 4 years but i'm almost to the 100 lb lost mark! Their will be set backs but just keep on going and you'll get there. And don't get mad over your food choices, i'm sitting at my desk right now with oreos and peanut butter lol. I still have weight to lose too but sometimes you just need a snack. If you deprive yourself of things you'll end up wanting them even more and thats when you'll binge on them.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    OP, what type of diet do you strive to eat? How many calories per day? Do you eat back exercise calories? Do you restrict things other than calories (low carb, low fat, low sugar, no grains, no ???)?

While 5 cookies isn't the ideal snack, it's not the end of the world. Do you allow room for treats?