Panicking First Marathon in 6 months!!

Options
Well I am doing the Brighton Marathon on April 6th 2014 so in a few days its exactly 6 months to go and I'm PANICKING!!
My plan was/is is to do the c25k (zombies run! edition) then progress on to the bridge to 10km and then do a 16 week marathon plan. But I'm still on the c25k and I've suffered an injury.

Last Wednesday I was on the last day of week 6 and I took a wrong turn wile out and ended up further away from home then I thought I would be. I wanted to get home quick so instead of doing the 7min run 2 min break I just ran straight for 10/12 mins and I'd done half a mile more than I usually do.

Then the pain started in my left calf on the inner part of the leg. It occasionally hurt before but this time its just too painful so I decided to take a week off from running and just hope that my leg heals and I can run again. I also went and got some new trainers as I knew my old ones weren't giving me the support I needed (I over prognate quite badly)

The pain hasn't gone and last night it was excruciating and the pained seemed to of migrated round to my shins but now this morning its back to my calf again.

I've done some calf stretches but not sure what else to do. I really want to get out running again ASAP but I know if I go tooo soon I could do some real damage and have to take even more time off.

I'm really worried that 6 months (or less) will be enough for my training please help

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The help & advice you are going to get is not what you want to hear. You should not try to run a marathon in 6 months. That's far too soon.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    The help & advice you are going to get is not what you want to hear. You should not try to run a marathon in 6 months. That's far too soon.

Completely agree. Way too soon. There are plenty of other race distances that will challenge you.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I have to say OP, I totally agree with the other replies on here re that it is too much too soon, I so hope you recover from your injury asap.

As a soppy example, I have been involved in athletics for many years, but it is only the last few years that I have started to run longer distances and only the last 20 months, that I have been training outdoors (before that it was on my trusty treadmill indoors due to shinsplints).

I started off racing 5k, then eight months later I did a 10k race (which I adored) and in just over two weeks which is 20 months after starting running outdoors on the pavements, I am in my very first half marathon.

My own reasoning was this, it is my legs, my feet and my body, I do not wish to render it useless by overtraining or training for something that is way, way beyond anything I have done in the past, there is plenty of time for further distances, if I choose, in the future.

I do know two people, one of whom is a family member, that trained for a marathon in 8 months and ran it successfully. Personally, I am taking it slowly and steadily and enjoying it all to the utmost.

Your injury may be your body's way of telling you, too much, too soon, please can you reduce the mileage for a while until used to it. You may have to put off that marathon until a future date and train for one of the lesser distances.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    If you can't run a 5k you should not plan to do a half in 6 months. I've been running for 2 years and am just running my longest race Sunday (a 10 mile). I would do a couple 5k races if I were you, then train for a 10 k, then maybe a year (or longer) from then do a half. You really need to work up to that distance and be able to run 5-6 miles fairly comfortably before starting to train for longer.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Seriously... you're panicking about something that's 6 months away???

Focus on this month. Do what you can do, do it as well as you can do it, then go from there. When March rolls around, then you'll be in a better position to evaluate things.

ETA::::

I misread, I thought you were looking at a half marathon in April. Considering it's a full, I agree with the the others - unrealistic at this point, unless you are ok walking 3/4 of it simply to finish.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    If you can't run a 5k you should not plan to do a half in 6 months. I've been running for 2 years and am just running my longest race Sunday (a 10 mile). I would do a couple 5k races if I were you, then train for a 10 k, then maybe a year (or longer) from then do a half. You really need to work up to that distance and be able to run 5-6 miles fairly comfortably before starting to train for longer.

Wilsoje, the OP is on about a full marathon.

I fully agree with your posting though.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    Apologies for piling on, but the other responses are 100% spot on.

Not to discourage you at all, but I couldn't have imagined going from 5K to full marathon in six months. My personal experience has been 3.5 years of consistent and gradual increases in distance, base mileage, a bunch of races from 5K to multiple 13.1Ms, and I still have concerns about my first full in just over a week. I'm hoping that the slow & steady increases will result in me having both an enjoyable and respectable (for me, anyway) finish.

Not to say that it can't be done, but you're going to have to be diligent to the point of night sweats regarding sticking to a training plan. And if you get derailed by injury, as you've indicated, it will make things more difficult.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    Apologies for piling on, but the other reponses are 100% spot on.

Not to discourage you at all, but I couldn't have imagined going from 5K to full marathon in six months. It's been 3.5 years of consistent and gradual increases in distance, base mileage, a bunch of races from 5K to multiple 13.1Ms, and I still have concerns about my first full in just over a week. I'm hoping that the slow & steady increases will result in me having both an enjoyable and respectable (for me, anyway) finish.

Not to say that it can't be done, but you're going to have to be diligent to the point of night sweats regarding sticking to a training plan. And if you get derailed by injury, as you've indicated, it will make things more difficult.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    If you're first ever race is a full, I would say you're being a bit ambitious. I would guess that you have time to do an event switch. Put a half or two or ten under your belt before you attempt a full. And at least 1,000 training miles. A full is something you need to work up to. This advice might sound daunting, but it's the difference between a good experience and a miserable one full of walking/limping/recovery.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Well, I applaud you for your enthusiasm.

However... YIKES.

As others have stated, it is a huge jump to go from zero to marathon in 6 months. I think this injury is an indicator that you should take some time to reassess your goals and perhaps moderate them. I know that's probably what you don't want to hear, but if you want to have a long, enjoyable running career, this is probably not the way to start it.

ETA: On a side note, are you getting fitted for the proper shoes at a legitimate running store? This is really REALLY important. Shoes can make or break you. If you have not done so, I highly highly suggest you go get some properly fitting shoes that will give you the support you need.
  • faith_76
    faith_76 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Start icing your leg and rolling a tennis ball on it to help with the pain. After it feels better, then start your training again. Go slow and listen to your body, you don't want to sideline yourself for 6 months due to an injury caused by overtraining.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    running too much as a novice= injury
    start running again too soon= chronic injury
    keep being impatient due to goals with deadlines= possibly cause some serious long term damage
    end result= no more running

ETA:

injuries should be met with immediate icing, antiinflammatories, and a break from running... Icing a day, or even hours later, is not nearly as effective if effective at all.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

Wilsoje, the OP is on about a full marathon.

I fully agree with your posting though.
    Yikes! I thought it was a half. I can run 11 miles after 2+ years of running, and a full marathon isn't even on my radar.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I feel like I can relate to your sense of excitement and desire to increase distance quickly.

I started running after reading Born to Run last fall and completed my first 5k on 12/1/12. Originally I wanted to run my first marathon this summer and ignore the advice I was receiving. In the end I listened to some of the same experienced runners who have commented in this thread and delayed my first marathon several more months (about a year since I started running) which most would say was still too aggressive of a schedule

Ultimately I see two primary issues:

1. Injury prevention
    I have been lucky so far and avoided all injuries since I started running. If I had accelerated my mileage increases any faster I am not sure this would have been the case. Based on your present injury, it seems clear the best course of action is to take things slowly.

2. Enjoyment of your first marathon
    You will enjoy your first marathon much more if you are properly trained and completed your entire marathon training program without cutting any corners. When you cut corners in training you will find yourself in pain on marathon day and the experience will not be as pleasant of a memory for you.

I am glad you are enjoying running. There will always be another marathon.