Should I eat before or after I exercise?

Options
I can't work-out in the morning (I already get up at 5am to get to work on time) so I've been exercising after I get home in the afternoon. Should I eat dinner before or after doing my workout?

Replies

• bbright53
    bbright53 Posts: 81
    Options
    I can't work-out in the morning (I already get up at 5am to get to work on time) so I've been exercising after I get home in the afternoon. Should I eat dinner before or after doing my workout?
  • Laguapa
    Laguapa Posts: 58
    Options
    If you're eating a real dinner you need to wait a couple of hours (as told by my trainer) When I am working I work out from 5am to about 6; but when I have to do evenings I eat only a light snack and then eat dinner AFTER
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I always try to workout on an empty stomach.
  • JayEm47
    JayEm47 Posts: 49
    Options
    i've read that you burn more calories when you exercise on an empty stomach. the only thing is chances are you will have a lot less energy and therefore won't be able to exercise as hard. i guess that probably didn't really help with your decision at all lol
  • bbright53
    bbright53 Posts: 81
    Options
    Thanks. That's what I've been doing. I was just worried about eatting and then not moving around enough after dinner.
  • aaubrey
    aaubrey Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I always try to workout on an empty stomach.
    That is probably not a good idea. I was told, by an Air Force trainer to eat a small amount of carbs (usually toast or an english muffin) before and then something with protein after. I usually do a pria bar or the other half of that english muffin with peanut butter. You have to fuel the machine.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    It works for me, besides it depends on when you work out. If you've been eating all day your machine is fueled and fine.
  • jamster
    jamster Posts: 38
    Options
    It works for me, besides it depends on when you work out. If you've been eating all day your machine is fueled and fine.

No, this doesn't matter. If you've been eating all day your body has been burning up those calories through-out the day..even if you've been resting. You should always have a good amount of protein with some carbs (like a protein bar or some toast w/ better ' n pbut butter, or even a few slices of cheese) about 20-30 minutes before your workout. And then afterwards have more protein to keep your metabolism at a good spot. So, it's a good thing to have a good dinner meal of say some chicken and veggies afterwards. But you don't want ever exercise on a completely empty stomach, because a) you won't have the energy that you would if you fueled your body properly first and therefore you won't get the workout you would normally and b) you end up burning MORE calories because your body is good on fuel!
    Wow, did you get all that!? lol
  • klikittyklak
    klikittyklak Posts: 144
    Options
    I've read that it's best to work out in the morning because you burn more BUT if you don't eat something beforehand (something small, like 1/2 bagel) that you will burn muscle and not fat!! But after a large meal you're supposed to wait two hours. If you've been eating consistently throughout the day, I'd say workout before dinner, not after.
  • lovesdaisies
    Options
    My trainer told me never to work out on an empty stomach - always to have a smoothie or something in the morning before the workout. He also said that you burn MORE calories when you eat AFTER your workout . Your body continues to burn calories when you're done exercising.

Soooo...according to him, eat a larger meal after you exercise.
  • Laguapa
    Laguapa Posts: 58
    Options
    My certified personal trainer told me to eat a light snack as well before working out like a luna bar, yogurt, banana, etc. Big dinners should come 1 1\2 to 2 hours before the workout or just wait until after the workout. YOu will still burn calories even after the workout (see Jillian Michaels' books, etc)
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I was told by the trainer at the gym that the body burns up anything you put it in almost instantly for 45 minutes after you've finished your workout. However, in burning all that out, it leaves you hungry again too. I was advised not to work out on an empty stomach but also not to eat any meals for at least an hour after working out. That way my body can focus on burning up all the "stored calories" (shall we say) instead of what I'm putting into it.

But I guess to directly answer what you asked---

I eat lunch 2 to 2.5 hours before working out and then dinner falls about 3 hours after my workout, although I have a small afternoon snack in there before dinner. (Did those time frames work out? I eat lunch around 12 noon, work out from 230p-330p, eat dinner around 630p.)
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I've also been told by my trainer to eat something light 1/2 hour before & within 1/2 hour after your workout. I always have 1/2 my protien shake 30min before I workout & then the rest after I finish my workout, within 30 min, usually 10 to 15 min after I get done. Then I try to eat dinner within an hour.

The trainers I've talked to said not to work out on an empty stomach.