New Guy :-)

Options
Woo hello, everyone! Not used to introducing myself online, but here goes. My name is Dave, and I live in Connecticut and New York City. I'm a sophomore in college, and a singer/dancer/actor.

I've been overweight all of my life. It's always been a problem, but I'm usually in denial about it. In my head, there's got to be a reason why I can be eating the smallest portions at dinner and still weight twice as much as everyone around me, right? Every year when I go get a physical, the doctor says "So, you're overweight." ...Thanks, I know. I've been a yo-yo dieter since I was fourteen. Back when Atkins was cool, I did that... I'd steal slim fast shakes from my mom when I was way too young to care about dieting (8-10) and she wasn't paying attention... my freshman year in college, I went a month taking in about a total of 5,000 calories (all month)... when I was in fourth form in high school, I had a buddy who I would go to the dining hall with every day for lunch and dinner, and we'd go through the caf lines together and not let eachother get anything unhealthy. It's always been something I've tried to quietly deal with, and have hoped and prayed it would go away, but I'm kind of at the point where I'm sick of it.

It really sucks being obese. I'm used to seeing big men portrayed (stop me if i'm being too cliche) as lazy, sloppy and disgusting, always eating, very sedentary... that's not me, and it never has been. It's also really hard on me being a gay 20-year old, because gay culture is very mean to you if you don't fit in. It's really difficult to find a sweet, attractive gay man who's willing to look beyond your size-40 jeans. Guys don't introduce themselves to me when I'm at the club with my friends. I may be the "leader" in my group of friends, but I feel like by the end of the night, I'm always just being strung along. I don't like it. I have confidence in myself as a person, but I know that it's pointless in most situations. I want to be able to walk into a club and feel comfortable dancing with someone because I know he's not going to walk away from me. I also love fashion and dress really well, but I'm so limited on what I can wear. It is so difficult to find pants for my waist size that aren't saggy in the butt or under the crotch and isn't too loose on the legs.

I also really want to lose weight for health reasons. All my life, I've been plagued by a handful of sleep disorders that are incredibly disorienting. I'm told that half of my symptoms will go away if I get a healthy BMI, and that alone is worth dieting for me. I also have a b*tchin case of acanthosis nigricans. I may be explaining this too simply, but it's just darkened, sort of leathered-feeling skin in some areas... it really bothers me because it's all around my neck. When I was younger, it was just sort of along my collarbone on the side, but it's gone up to past the collar line of a t-shirt, and it's even sort of appearing on the front of my neck. I haven't been able to wear a shirt that isn't collared for a LONG time out in public. Like, five years. Every day, I wear a collared shirt - even when I'm dancing, I wear polos to class. Other than the incredibly awkward self-consciousness it provokes, it's also a warning sign that I'm at risk of diabetes, which is something I absolutely do not want to deal with.

Um... I feel like I've gotten off-topic. Anyways. My name is David. Right now I weight 307.8 pounds. When I started my diet on Oct 7, I was at 312. My all-time high is 317.2 pounds. The last time I weighed under 200 pounds, I think I was 13. My ultimate goal weight is 155 pounds, but I'm aiming to weigh 180 pounds by June 7, 2011, which means I have a total of 132 pounds to lose in eight months. Four down, 128 to go...

I've been using slim fast for the last four days, their 3-2-1 plan. So far, it's not that bad. I find myself wanting to trade off though... like, I'll eat [yummy food that's 800 calories] instead of the one 500 calorie meal, a 200 calorie shake, and a 100 calorie snack. I'm pretty sure that's not allowed, so I've been trying really hard to not do that... I drink a lot of water typically, but also love diet soda and coffee. Since coffee isn't allowed to happen anymore (caffeine does me no good, and I don't like it if it's not sweet), I'm going to nix it entirely and just stick with diet soda, which I'll hopefully be able to get rid of within a month or two? Idk, not exactly my focus right now. I exercise every week through dance and walking around usually, but I'm making an effort to go to the gym more - three or four times a week, and I always stay for at least 45 minutes. I like to do cardio for half an hour, then work with weights for the rest of my time.

So yeah, hello all! I'm really hoping to meet a lot of great people on here to keep me motivated, and really hope there are SOME men around. :)

Replies

• KimberlyKurtz
    Options
    Welcome! This site is great! At my biggest I weighed 350 so it can be done! Keep at it and you'll be the heathly guy that every guy at the bar wants to meet.
  • lesleybritton
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, Dave. You will definitely meet a lot of nice people here. And you can vary what you eat from day to day... just stay within your calorie goal. For me, there is no motivation to hit the gym like knowing I get extra calories if I do. I guess that's the chubby girl in me. :blushing:

And when those pounds start dropping off, you will feel SO MUCH BETTER about yourself.

Good luck in all. Feel free to friend me if you're looking for motivation.

Lesley
  • mykaar74
    mykaar74 Posts: 253
    Options
    well congrats on taking the first steps of recognition, and doing something about it. you will find lots of support, motivation, and inspiration from the people here on this site. Congrats on the 4lbs you've already gotten rid of. You have to look at losing weight as a complete lifestyle change, and not just a diet. It would be great if you start now on eating the proper amount of calories, along with regular exercise because eventually slimfast will fade for you. Well I wish you all the best on your healthier life journey. Once again Welcome
  • fearlessly
    fearlessly Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, guys. I've been browsing the boards since I've posted this, and decided I absolutely love this website. Can't wait to be a part of the community! :)
  • mtlgirl
    mtlgirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello David, I'm new too. My advice? drop the slimfast & for sure the soda. stick to watching your cals. log everything. read back what you are eating. good luck and please friend me xxx
  • EightFourOseVen
    Options
    I just started this website too! and I'm also from Connecticut and grew up in NYC =) Good luck!
  • groucherella
    Options
    Good luck! I am new too. Seems like a great support system here.
  • espehoecity
    Options
    This website is AMAZING!! You'll love it.
  • doramouse
    doramouse Posts: 160
    Options
    Welcome! I've sorta new too -just a couple weeks but everyone is supportive. Stay motivated and when you aren't - just say so and folks will help you. Congrats on joining and feel free to friend me as well if you want some extra support.
    Cheers!
  • Lulu2929
    Options
    Welcome, I've been on this website starting week 3 and I absolutely LOVE it. It has helped me so much. I try to get on at least a few times a day to log my food, check in with others or just when I need inspiration or a pat on the back. Feel free to friend me.