Carbs

Options
(Posted this on my page)
Anyone doing the high protein/ low carb thing? Not really Atkins per se. Just making sure their eating more protein than Carbs? I feel my carb intake is so high compared to my Protein. I know if I do a High Protein to do Heart pumping work outs...I get it. I'm just curious if everyone is eating all their carbs and STILL losing weight? I changed my Macros on my page to have alot more protein, but just curious with what everyone is doing

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I did low carb for about a year. Eventually I hit a wall and didn't have enough energy to maintain the level of activity I wanted. So I replaced most (but not all!) the fat with carbs - this works much better for me - I'm maintaining high level of physical activity and consistently dropping 2 pounds a week.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with carbs as you can see from my ticker no problems losing weight
  • mommy_her3guys918
    Options
    Nothing wrong with carbs as you can see from my ticker no problems losing weight

^^ This!
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    My macros are 55% carbs 25% fats and 20% protein. To be fair I am more interested in being healthy but have been successful with loss as well :) ***bonus***
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I like to keep carbs and protein around the same 160-180g and fat at 80g for no more than 2000kcals.
  • MizSookeh
    MizSookeh Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I started off trying to avoid carbs, because that's what diet plans had told me in the past (SureSlim - very limited bread & fruit, no other carbs), and I thought that's what I needed because I'd lost weight on that plan.

This time around I just ended up gaining from not eating enough, so worked in more fruit, rye bread and brown rice, and I've had a great loss this week.

Looks like I need them! I'm on a 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat and just about hit those targets each day (a bit over for protein, a bit under for fat if anything)
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Did that for about a year and lost a bunch of weight without even exercising but it was not sustainable as it really restricted my diet. I'm much happier now eating as many carbs as I want within my daily caloric goals. My weakness - pasta - is mostly out b/c it eats up so many calories and is not filling for me, but I indulge in bread, rice, potatoes, grains, etc and am losing weight so I'm happy.
  • fultimers
    fultimers Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I don't really know how many grams of carbs one would consume on a low carb diet, but when my weight was stalling, someone here on MFP had recommended that I eat no more than 1620 calories a day, and the following macros: 150 grams carbs a day, 60 grams fats, and 120 grams protein. After I started doing that, I began losing a pound a week. That's not a big loss to some, but, I'll take it--it's progress in the right direction.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I had no energy on high protein/low carb and I was miserable. Ultimately I needed to find a away to include my carbs without binging on it in order to keep my weight down.
  • blackgold86
    blackgold86 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to experiment and see what low carb does for you, try upping fat instead of protein. It helps you feel more satiated and gives you energy.

Try Salmon, nuts, avocado, olive/coconut oil etc.

:)
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    The last couple of weeks I changed my macros from about 45% carbs, 40% protein & 15% fats to 70% fat, 20% protein and 10% carbs.

This was after finding high protein/low fat/low carb ways of eating generally left me lacking in energy.

My weight, body fat % and waist measurements are coming down.

But best of all, I no longer feel hungry shortly after eating or have the energy slumps or cravings that I get with carbs.

Kind of hard to miss toast, bagels and croissants for breakfast when I am chowing down on butter fried bacon, eggs, black pudding and haloumi cheese with hollandaise sauce. When I want something chocolate, I'll eat peanut butter with sugarfree chocolate mix (google peanut butter Fat Bombs). DELICIOUS!

I am loving having free reign on butter, cream, biersticks, cheese bacon & avocados or mayo. Reminds me of breakfasts in Europe. :)
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. I don't hit it every day, but I'm really liking it and can tell a difference on days that I do.
  • Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I cycle my carbs. A few months ago I was doing low carb/moderate carb. It worked wonders for me. I'm now on very low carb, moderate fat and high protein, with one high carb day a week. My fat is melting, my inches are coming down, I have more energy than ever, don't have cravings AT ALL. I don't miss carbs and when I feel like having a banana (which I love) i have no problem waiting until saturday.
    Too many carbs are stored by the body as fat... not something I'd like at all.
  • agenteff
    agenteff Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The last couple of weeks I changed my macros from about 45% carbs, 40% protein & 15% fats to 70% fat, 20% protein and 10% carbs.

This was after finding high protein/low fat/low carb ways of eating generally left me lacking in energy.

My weight, body fat % and waist measurements are coming down.

But best of all, I no longer feel hungry shortly after eating or have the energy slumps or cravings that I get with carbs.

Kind of hard to miss toast, bagels and croissants for breakfast when I am chowing down on butter fried bacon, eggs, black pudding and haloumi cheese with hollandaise sauce. When I want something chocolate, I'll eat peanut butter with sugarfree chocolate mix (google peanut butter Fat Bombs). DELICIOUS!

I am loving having free reign on butter, cream, biersticks, cheese bacon & avocados or mayo. Reminds me of breakfasts in Europe. :)

That is what I am saying!! Butter is not a carb! i don't so much miss startchy breads, but there are some things that I miss like cereal! lol
  • agenteff
    agenteff Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Right now my Macros are set to Carbs 20% , Protein 45% and Fat 35%.
    I'm hoping this works out, I always feel like nothing is working for me.
  • Code7526
    Options
    A high protein diet is where your meal consists of 30% protein and 70% of carbs (dark green/light vegetables).

I choose not to eat protein for breakfast but rather have oats with milk which is better than cereals full of sugar.
  • TXBlonde81
    TXBlonde81 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I try and stick with good carbs rather than eliminate carbs altogether. I consider good carbs to be the ones from fruits, veggies, and dairy (greek yogurt, cheese). The white carbs are the ones I try and stay away from on a day to day basis - breads, pasta, rice, etc.

I should add that I'm still seeing a weight loss as long as I am hitting the gym and consistently staying within my calorie target.
  • pbrahan
    pbrahan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want and I don't pay attention to macros, only calories. Naturally, budgeting my calories gives me more to eat if I choose meats & veggies vs. carbs, but I'm not going to successfully maintain my weight loss by eliminating cupcakes and potatoes, so I'm going to lose weight while learning how to eat all foods in moderation.
    I've lost 4 pounds this week and if you look at my food diary, you'll see that I eat a good bit of carbs.
    Don't sabotage yourself by using a gimmick that you can't sustain for the rest of your life.
    Paula
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with carbs for some but for me it makes me crave food. I keep mine at 110 or below daily (with a few exception now and again) and proteins 100+. The protein keeps me feeling full. You may find the following article helpful also
    http://healthyliving.msn.com/weight-loss/should-you-double-up-on-protein-to-lose-weight