Canned Foods

Options
I have never been much of a fan of canned foods. I prefer to make my own soups, and I prefer frozen veggies. But it's a busy time of year for the family, the microwave just quit working and I recognized the need to purchase easy-to-prepare foods. We're also saving for a vacation, and I wanted to cut the food budget. We tend to eat a lot of costly meals. I like to cook. One of the family favorites is pot roast with potatoes and carrots. The roast usually costs $12-$15. The other ingredients cost about $10. So a post roast night costs us $25, and there usually aren't many leftovers in this house.

I went to the store a few days ago, and I strangely found myself considering canned foods. I bought some family-size cans of soup. We had a can tonight with grilled cheese sandwiches. I figure that dinner cost us only about $3.50. I also have some canned fruit to pair with a few dishes.

I feel like canned foods have a bad reputation. And I wonder how you feel about this. Specifically, can they be part of a healthy diet?

Replies

• Bluizflame
    Bluizflame Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    The biggest issue most people have with canned foods is the RIDICULOUS amount of sodium that is in them! I eat canned soup's once in awhile, i don't see anything wrong w/ it. I just make sure i get the lower sodium, or "light" soups. Not everyone has all the time in the world to cook EVERYTHING that goes into their mouths :)
  • runningvegan
    Options
    I always have a couple cans of Eden's Organic canned chili or beans and rice in my pantry. Good for days when I have no interest in cooking. http://www.edenfoods.com/store/index.php?cPath=91
    I don't eat a ton of processed foods, so 1000 mg of sodium once in awhile is not that big of a deal to me.
  • Pulka_Dot
    Pulka_Dot Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The biggest issue most people have with canned foods is the RIDICULOUS amount of sodium that is in them! I eat canned soup's once in awhile, i don't see anything wrong w/ it. I just make sure i get the lower sodium, or "light" soups. Not everyone has all the time in the world to cook EVERYTHING that goes into their mouths :)

Exactly. Canned foods are often extremely high in sodium. If you buy veggies or beans, buy low-sodium versions and RINSE them. That'll help to cut back on the sodium.

As for soups, it is easy to spend a half day making soups and freezing them. I could be fun for the kids because they can help peel/cut/stir. I usually freeze soup in 1 or 2 cup servings, or if you have a larger family, you can buy containers to freeze larger servings.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    just avoid the cans that appear bloated and heavily dented and you'll be fine.

Sometimes the quality suffers because of the high heat, but nutritionally there isnt much loss and in some cases enhanced. The only thing about can of course is the sodium, but if you arent a sodium sensitive hypertensive and have normally functioning kidneys then why not?

Enjoy your canned at least you'll be prepared if in the event the fall of civilization.
  • jeanywren
    jeanywren Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The sodium content of canned food is very high and I sometimes think that being processed like that, not as good nutritionally as frozen or fresh.

How about stir fries? They do use fresh veggies but a lot less meat. Top that on noodles, rice, or pasta and you have a decent priced supper with lots of nutrients. My family was big on meat but that is the costly part of the meal. If you like to cook, there are all kinds of websites to get you variety.
  • kzooprincess
    kzooprincess Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posts that the bad rap comes from sodium content. I try to look for no salt added veggies and rinse beans when making chili or the like. Canned food has its place and will definitely help reduce your budget, especially when sales come up. The major chain in my area has veggies 3/$1. Also due to the time of year, soups are placed on sale just about every week. Couple those sales with coupons and save even more!

I too love pot roast and potatoes though it is expensive.
  • spottedkathy
    spottedkathy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    They now make canned foods without any added salt. It says it right on the label. If I buy them, that is what I buy. Have you thought about buying frozen bags of veggies. You can get the family size of the store brand that way it is cheaper and it is as healthy as the fresh stuff but last longer. :)
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I try to cook for myself from fresh, whole ingredients but since my husband and I have no issues with blood pressure or anything else that would require sodium restriction I don't see any problem with canned soups/veggies/and fruits. I try to get things packed in water or low sodium and always rinse anything. It isn't always possible to get the quality produce that I want all year round so canned is an okay way to supplement things, for me.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I limit canned foods to beans (especially refried beans-I go through around 4 cans a week for me). I can get frozen veggies on sale for around the same price as canned. None of my family likes canned fruit-too mushy. We're not soup eaters, but occasionally I'll buy a carton of Pacific tomato soup-about a dollar more than canned and tastes like restaurant soup-very good!

If you don't mind the taste of canned veggies/fruits/soups, then having it once in a while isn't going to hurt anything.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I buy canned & frozen veggies. Canned food is still way better than fast food. I would watch the sodium in there, but I eat canned food almost everyday & have never gone over my sodium.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I buy canned & frozen veggies. Canned food is still way better than fast food. I would watch the sodium in there, but I eat canned food almost everyday & have never gone over my sodium.
    I am in agreement with that I used to only buy frest veggies but somehow I'd end up with a few going bad. Now I stick to frozen. It's still better than eating no veggies at all.
  • kitsune1989
    kitsune1989 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I only ever buy canned beans. Frozen taste better to me when cooked.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    One of the family favorites is pot roast with potatoes and carrots. The roast usually costs $12-$15. The other ingredients cost about $10. So a post roast night costs us $25, and there usually aren't many leftovers in this house.

I went to the store a few days ago, and I strangely found myself considering canned foods. I bought some family-size cans of soup. We had a can tonight with grilled cheese sandwiches. I figure that dinner cost us only about $3.50.

No way potatoes and carrots for 1 pot roast cost $10.
    Your 2nd meal was cheaper because you eliminated the meat.

If you're trying to save money, go for dry beans and soak/cook them yourself. Canned is expensive for what you get.
    Those cans of soup are the exact same as your pot roast dinner but with ****tier meat, more preservatives, and a higher cost-per-calorie.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I feel like canned foods have a bad reputation. And I wonder how you feel about this. Specifically, can they be part of a healthy diet?

I agree they have a bad reputation, only partically earned. I guarantee you that canned soups can be part of a healthy diet. I have eaten canned soups for half a century and been healthy all that time.

I don't eat ONLY canned foods, and I don't think they generally taste as good as fresh or frozen, but they are convenient. I use canned beans and tomatoes a lot. I keep canned soups in my desk at work for days I forget my lunch.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I have never been much of a fan of canned foods. I prefer to make my own soups, and I prefer frozen veggies. But it's a busy time of year for the family, the microwave just quit working and I recognized the need to purchase easy-to-prepare foods. We're also saving for a vacation, and I wanted to cut the food budget. We tend to eat a lot of costly meals. I like to cook. One of the family favorites is pot roast with potatoes and carrots. The roast usually costs $12-$15. The other ingredients cost about $10. So a post roast night costs us $25, and there usually aren't many leftovers in this house.

I went to the store a few days ago, and I strangely found myself considering canned foods. I bought some family-size cans of soup. We had a can tonight with grilled cheese sandwiches. I figure that dinner cost us only about $3.50. I also have some canned fruit to pair with a few dishes.

The only can stuff I buy is maybe sardines. Here is something I make at least once a week and it does not cost much: bag of potatoes, bag of chick peas, couple tomatoes, one onion, sweet pepper, seasoning of your choice and of course curry powder.

Peel and dice potatoes in bite pieces, rub in some olive oil and your seasoning. Bake in oven @ 350 until cooked, but firm. Soak chick pea overnight and washing, cooked in pressure cooker with 1 tbs olive oil and seasoning for 15 minutes. You might need to cook in two patches, depending on how large your cooker is.

Drain chick peas and set aside, cut up onions, tomatoes and sweet pepper. Add 1tbs of olive oil per family member into large frying pan or wok, pour in onions, sweet pepper and tomatoes, seasoning to taste, add chick pea and stir until completely cover with mixture, then add potatoes, stir until completely covered. Simmer for 15 minute, stirring every couple of minutes.

Can be eaten with rice, chicken, meat balls, turkey mince, mixed vegetables.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Canned meats, fruit or soup I have no problem with. It's the canned veggies (except corn and tomatoes) that gross me out with their mushy consistency. :shudder: Most of the veggies I buy are fresh as I plan on using them for recipes that week. And I always have frozen broccoli florets, green beans and spinach on hand.
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I buy canned sardines, canned baby clams, anchovies. I used to buy canned beans for those times when I did not have time to soak and cook my beans for hours. Now I have a pressure cooker so I rarely get the canned beans any more since I prefer the taste and texture of the dried beans. But canned fish/seafood is quite good and a great way to get protein in the family diet with very little fuss. Also of course canned whole Italian tomatoes for sauce!
  • crackur
    crackur Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I eat kidney beans with low sodium.