Whole30 September 2013

Options
Is anyone interested in doing Whole30 in September 2013? If so, I'll start a group so we can support each other!

If you're not familiar with Whole30, it's basically 30 days of really healthy eating meant to help with energy levels, ailments, and to kick cravings. You eat protein, vegetables, fruit, healthy fats, and avoid dairy, legums, grains, and added sugar. After the 30 days, you can re-introduce food groups, if you'd like, on a varying scale.

My goal is to be strict the first 30 days and reintroduce things like greek yogurt after September. I'm a sugar addict and am having trouble eating anything in moderation, which is my eventual goal.

Replies

• FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Anyone? :)
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    one last call for anyone who might be interested :)
  • chelilektra
    Options
    Hey!

I finished the book last week and am planning on starting my first Whole30 on September 1st.

A buddy system sounds great.

Chelsea
  • ashtonscoggins
    ashtonscoggins Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am! But I started today lol
  • Happylizzz
    Happylizzz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am doing it with a group of other local moms. I can add you to our FB group if you'd like!
  • jmeade524
    Options
    Would love to be in a group! Whole30 is paleo so I'm down for support!!
  • Chaznpavements
    Options
    I'm in, what do I need to get started?
  • Tolstoy26
    Tolstoy26 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I started eating paleo today at my doctor's request to see if it will clear up some medical problems I'm having. I have another appointment in 30 days so I'm going to try to be really strict for the first month so we can determine if it's helping or not....so the whole 30 sounds perfect! Feel free to add me.
  • easto_79
    easto_79 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm in to start on 09/01 too. Include me in the group!!!
  • jennyly81
    jennyly81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I finished a Whole30 on June 30th!! Good luck to you all!! It's do-able!
  • mechalo
    mechalo Posts: 1
    Options
    I am starting a whole30 tomorrow, I would love to join :)
  • heykaraoke
    heykaraoke Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm starting a Whole30 on September 2nd, I would love to join a group!
  • beckysefco
    Options
    I am a day late but I would like to start today! When I tried one last year someone in my group started a forum so we could check in every day. Anyone interested? I'll look into it...
  • MissSaturday
    MissSaturday Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    i want to say that once you reindroduce those aliments you need to do it very slownly or you may see a weight gain. Be careful with these challenges! it is much more healthy to eat little of everything staying under you calorie intake and trying to make healthy choices but without eliminating foods you know you will eat!
  • Denziee
    Denziee Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Hello - My book arrived last thursday and i am surrently reading it so won't be able to join in straight away! am aiming to start next sunday. let me know how you all get on. breakfasts are going to be my difficulty but am going to just prepare and be organised :-)
  • chelilektra
    Options
    Hey Guys!

I just stepped on the scale for the first time in exactly a month and my jaw dropped. I appear to have lost TWENTY flipping pounds - not starving myself in the slightest, or even exercising.

I am going to do the re-introduction now and begin a really basic exercise program, but given these results, I think that I'm going to try to keep mostly paleo.

Recently, I have not experienced the full effect that people describe with excellent sleep (hello 3.45 AM) and low anxiety/depression (hello PMS and Seasonal Affective Disorder). However, I have generally felt a lot more energetic and positive (which were the key reasons that I decided to go for it) and my acne has definitely reduced tenfold.

I definitely need to eat a lot more vegetables and rely less on juice than I have in the past 30 days (98% of the time with meals - and always a monitored amount (no more than one serving)) and I would like to be more hardcore about the nitpicks - no eating 2 hours before dinner (for example). My whole30 was far from perfect, but good enough for me to feel a substantial impact. I didn't cheat - but, I don't think that I'll ever be able to be "that guy" at a restaurant.

I'd say that the hardest part for me was actually the removal of milk - I've been craaaaaaving hot chocolate, coffee (with sugar and milk), pancakes, and ice cream like no other. Usually cravings occur when I skip or hold off on a meal, and reduce substantially when I eat.

I also missed alcohol. The first thing I did was drink a solid Bulleit and San Pellegrino Limonata (watered down with some seltzer because it tasted overwhelmingly sweet). I think that I'm definitely going to try to stick to mixing my alcohol with seltzer however (which is actually not much of a change at all - as my go to before was whiskey, seltzer, lemon, and bitters).

I think that I am largely going to try to avoid the aforementioned group and limit my alcohol intake as I don't think that my psychological relationship with either of these areas is healthy. That said: I don't really want to beat myself up too much, as I think that a large part of my success thus far is because I have not been overly stressed out about complying fully.

Anyway, that's my check in for now. A fraction of this months results over the next few months would please me greatly.

Fingers crossed and good luck, soldiers. Truck on. ;-)

- Chels
  • jandzsmom
    Options
    I started on Sept. 19--as of today I'm halfway through and feeling great! I've lost 5lbs in 2 weeks (I know, you're not supposed to weigh yourself but I have GOOD reasons for this!!!) I'd love to share easy/quick food ideas anyone has!