Runner's Knee?

Options
A few weeks ago I ran a 1/2 marathon course that was very hilly and the roads were gravel and had lots or dips and pot holes. I managed to roll my right ankle a few times and I know that I ended up putting more pressure on my left leg to compensate.

So, since that race I have been having this aggravating and persistent pain in my left knee when I run. It's almost like someone is stabbing under the left side of my knee cap. It generally comes and goes during my run, but it is worse at the start and the finish. I have had to back off on my running to every other day and I have reduced my pace and milage. I'm also doing some stretching to try and help with the pain. I haven't gone to a doctor because I don't have any pain in the knee other than when I'm running (but I'm seriously considering a visit after this morning's run).

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of pain and what they have done to correct the problem. I have a race coming up on the 20th that I would like to train for and I definitely don't want to have to sit it out altogether.

Thanks so much for any advice you can give me.

Replies

• chelonia8
    chelonia8 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have had "runners knee" very recently. I bought a patella strap to wear when running, cut my mileage way back, and ended up bowing out of the half marathon I should be running in 2 weeks - the first time I've ever done that. . However, the rest has helped a lot, as my knee is finally feeling better. It bothered me for 2 months. Very frustrating...
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    What's your current training look like?
    What event do you have on the 20th?
    Have you been fitted for your shoes?
    Are you running with proper stride?

I had issues with runner's knee, and I fixed it by analyzing/adjusting my stride and getting fitted for new shoes (was fitted before, but the model changed over the years).
  • MichelleADB
    MichelleADB Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have had "runners knee" very recently. I bought a patella strap to wear when running, cut my mileage way back, and ended up bowing out of the half marathon I should be running in 2 weeks - the first time I've ever done that. . However, the rest has helped a lot, as my knee is finally feeling better. It bothered me for 2 months. Very frustrating...

Thanks, I'll check into the strap. Glad to hear your knee is feeling better!
  • MichelleADB
    Options

I had issues with runner's knee, and I fixed it by analyzing/adjusting my stride and getting fitted for new shoes (was fitted before, but the model changed over the years).

I'm currently following Hal Higdon's Novice 2 Marathon plan. Running 4-8 miles just about every other day right now. I stopped the XT day when the knee started acting up. I was also doing a squat challenge and stopped that immediately.

I'm running the Army 10-miler on the 20th I don't want to miss it because we won't be living in this area for me to run it next year.

Yes, my left leg is neutral and my right over pronates a little so they have me fitted in neutral plus for my right leg. I did change my shoes from Asics Gel Nimbus to Brooks Ghost 6 before the half marathon, but I didn't notice any problems during my training for the half.

As for my stride, I believe so. I haven't had anyone check my stride.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

I'm currently following Hal Higdon's Novice 2 Marathon plan. Running 4-8 miles just about every other day right now. I stopped the XT day when the knee started acting up. I was also doing a squat challenge and stopped that immediately.

I'm running the Army 10-miler on the 20th I don't want to miss it because we won't be living in this area for me to run it next year.

Yes, my left leg is neutral and my right over pronates a little so they have me fitted in neutral plus for my right leg. I did change my shoes from Asics Gel Nimbus to Brooks Ghost 6 before the half marathon, but I didn't notice any problems during my training for the half.

As for my stride, I believe so. I haven't had anyone check my stride.

I noticed that once I stopped taking longer strides and picked up my knees slightly more (I'm talking very slight), it cleared up. I wore the straps too, and they helped mask the real issue. Are you still wearing the Brooks? Changing shoes up before a marathon counts for the "don't do anything new" rule. I switched from Asics to Brooks myself in August, and also went a full size up and I haven't had any pains since. I'd have to defer on the particulars about your feet because I'm not a foot expert. I would try varying your stride in slow increments.
  • MichelleADB
    Options
    Thanks. I will definitely work on changing my stride on my next run and see if it helps. I shortened my stride when the pain kicked in and I noticed when I took shorter steps it helped to ease the pain somewhat and enabled me to finish up my runs.

I worked the Brooks into rotation a couple of weeks before my half. I may run my next few times in my Asics and see if that makes a difference.
  • csaul777
    csaul777 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have horrible pain in both knees due to arthritis, but still insist on running. I started using KT tape when I run and have not had any knee pain while running since. There are youtube videos that show you how to apply it, or you could go to a professional that sells it that could show you how to put it on. I have lots of friends who run half and full marathons who swear by the KT tape, which is how I got started using it.
    Good luck!!
  • Suzmp85
    Suzmp85 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm having some discomfort right in my knee cap and I'm okay when I run..but lunging, squats..etc can be diffacult in my knees. I hear a similar noise like if there was plastic inside so I wonder if thats a sign of it too. I run 3-4xs a week, and do strength at least twice. For miles per week..I'd say 10-15 avg.
  • charltonspinney
    charltonspinney Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi Michelle , i started running again last September , ran for 3 months till December last year and lost 3 stone in that process.In December i bashed my knee on the bathroom sink getting out of the shower.

Every time i tried to run i was in extreme agony , and couldn't manage more than 5 minutes running , this went on for 3 months , until i went to see a sports physiotherapist , who taught me some stretching exercises , and said i had what was known as 'movie goers knee' which i'd never heard of before , but looked up on our old friend google.

What i'm saying might not be what you've got , but if the pain continues i'd definitely get it checked out with some reputable people.
  • MichelleADB
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses and suggestions.

csaul777, my daughter has some KT Tape so I think I'll look up the videos and give it a try. I don't know why it never occurred to me.

Suzmp85, hope you figure out what's wrong with your knee.

charltonspinn, I think I will end up having to make an appointment with my primary care to see if there is something else going on in there.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Sounds like IT Band, not runners knee. Google for exercises to strengthen your hips. Also look for ITBS stretches and get a foam roller.
  • MichelleADB
    Options
    Sounds like IT Band, not runners knee. Google for exercises to strengthen your hips. Also look for ITBS stretches and get a foam roller.

I didn't even think about the IT band since I wasn't having any pain in my hips. I used our roller this morning before my run and decided to run/walk. I also shortened my stride and pace during the running portions. I didn't have any pain for the first 3 miles.

I'm going to do some of the exercises and use the roller and see if I improve more on my next run (Sunday).

Thanks.
  • robosgonefishin
    robosgonefishin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem where my knee would start bugging me, generally, about 2 miles into a run.
    I started using a roller and it has stopped bothering me. I roll each knee for about 30secs 4x prior to running and it has helped a lot. This video is how I roll it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoHBDim_fzk
    Hope that helps and you start to feel better.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the responses, but I had knee pain for YEARS on the outer side of the kneecap. I started foam rolling my IT band and my quads and voila! No more knee pain.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    When parts of my body hurt, I stop using them excessively. If the roller doesn't help, take a week off and see how it feels then. Give it time to actually heal.
  • MichelleADB
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to check out that video robosgonefish.