Now dreading a holiday I worked so hard for.

This year at work has been severely busy. In January I had booked 7 days off due to wisdom tooth extraction, so that wasn't really a "holiday". I was in pain with an abscess right after the op for at least 5 days.

June, I was supposed to have 10 days off but it got cut down to 6.

SO, here comes my 16 days off in October. My last holiday of the year as we dont have time to squeeze in my other 15 days this year. And I just looked up Scoobys calculator to see what my maintain calories are. By then I will be 90lbs as I am 2lbs away from goal. And I hope I'll be there by then.

My MAINTAINING calories?......1230.

16 days off, usually spent indulging, kicking back....and wow. I am actually gutted. I cant afford a gym so I suppose I will need to walk an hour or 2 a day just to manage a few extra 100.

I know I'm sounding sorry myself here but damn. I found 1200 really really difficult but at least then I was losing weight!!! I lived off of one bowl of cereal, some tea and one smaller dinner on that a day, as I hate veg and fruit. Couldn't even fit in sweets most of the time.

FYI I plugged in my details and chose " Desk Job with Little Exercise " as I really do plan on resting for these 2 weeks. So I guess I'll have to figure this out...

Replies

• Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Try to pre-plan some fun "activities" for your vacation!! Hiking, bikes, and even fun cooking sessions where you can try some new things! Keep your head up, youre almost at your goal and its just a vacation, there will be more in your life but nothing as important as how you feel and how healthy you have become!!!
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    I just know I will spend the entire time obsessing about hunger pains and food the way I did on 1200 before.

I had to retire to bed as early as 8pm some nights because I was going out of my mind.
  • Gee_24
    Try to pre-plan some fun "activities" for your vacation!! Hiking, bikes, and even fun cooking sessions where you can try some new things! Keep your head up, youre almost at your goal and its just a vacation, there will be more in your life but nothing as important as how you feel and how healthy you have become!!!

Thank you.

Well I dont have a bike but me and my boyfriend have agreed to go on walks. We live about a 3 hour walk away from Loch Lomond so that could be an idea for one sunny day!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    If your maintenance calories are 1240, you did something very wrong.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Luckily, the weather isn't too bad for walking in Scotland yet so that 3 hour walk to Loch Lomond will be beautiful. You'll have to find some fun activities in the area to keep those calories manageable. It's time to be creative. And, you may not find it as difficult on 1200+ calories this time you are a different size :flowerforyou:

Ps I'm assuming you're small, which is why your maintenance calories are so low?
  • Gee_24
    If your maintenance calories are 1240, you did something very wrong.

I'm the height of a child. So my stats are very very different from 99% of the people here. My hip condition ( perthes ) and crazy genes mean I am miniature! lol

Height: 4ft 8 ( 143cm )
    Current weight: 92lbs
    Goal: 90lbs.
    Desk Job Little Exercise ( as I will be on holiday )

With a goal of 90bs I'll still be just under the middle of the healthy weight BMI. 6.5 stone for someone who is 4ft 8 is spot on, so please don't think I have anorexic tendencies. ( I only say this as I have been flamed so much in the past for my goal weight and people don't understand that my height changes everything, )

I assure you if you plug the same stats into Scooby you will get the same results. My BMR is a little over 1000 and has been since I lost my weight.
  • Gee_24

Ps I'm assuming you're small, which is why your maintenance calories are so low?

Correct, and thank you for considering that. And also for your input.

Again I must state for everyone, although many people think women should be on at least 1500 or above to maintain, I am most likely a height that MOST of you ladies and gents surpassed when you were 10 years old.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Using your TDEE here: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

with a sedentary life it's calculating you at 1430. I know it's not much more, but if you can factor in some walking or workouts you'll be able to indulge a bit.
  • Gee_24
    Using your TDEE here: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

with a sedentary life it's calculating you at 1430. I know it's not much more, but if you can factor in some walking or workouts you'll be able to indulge a bit.

Wow, thank you!

I tried Fitness Frog a few weeks ago when I was also calculating ahead for this holiday so thats why I was so shocked when I saw 1230 on Scooby.

But the confusing thing is I don't have a HRM so dont have anything accurate, and people claim Scooby is accurate to within 50-100 calories and the best around.

What would you do? Listen to the higher number? Because I certainly want to! lol
  • Gee_24
    DECISION MADE:

I am now going to break the bank. I am going to buy the cheapest but BEST quality HRM I can find. Is a fitbit zip any good?

I dont want to buy one for £40 if you all think its garbage when I should have bought the £80 for more accuracy.

All opinions appreciated.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member

Wow, thank you!

I tried Fitness Frog a few weeks ago when I was also calculating ahead for this holiday so thats why I was so shocked when I saw 1230 on Scooby.

But the confusing thing is I don't have a HRM so dont have anything accurate, and people claim Scooby is accurate to within 50-100 calories and the best around.

What would you do? Listen to the higher number? Because I certainly want to! lol

I would go with the Scooby Calculator. If it were me, I'd use that for a few weeks, and see how it goes. Don't forget that you may gain water weight after going to maintenance.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Listen to the highest number and remember that staying active is great for your health, well-being and best of all, you can eat more!
    I am 5'2" and I was pretty active today with more than 700 exercise calories between lifting, elliptical and walking, so I've eaten 400 of those along with my usual so I'm very satisfied.
    Staying active is the key!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

They're all estimates...every single one of these calculators is just an estimate and a starting point. Also, a HRM is worthless for determining a calorie burn throughout the day...they're only reasonably accurate for calorie burn during and actual aerobic event.

If it were me, I'd just go on my holiday and enjoy. Even if you do over indulge, not much damage can come from two weeks. Just go enjoy yourself.
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member

Just for fun and another example, I put your stats into this one: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ and a sedentary TDEE is ~1450.
    I like looking at different numbers, so I tend to take multiple measurements and do an average or find a range and try to stick within that. I think with the other numbers here, you have a bit of wiggle room. As for exercise, you may not do specific cardio or weights, but I find that I do end up moving more anyway when on vacation with walking around or activities.
    Hope you have a fun, restful break!
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    The Fitbit isn't a HRM, it's an activity monitor. Which, I think, is more what you need. It will work out your actual TDEE more accurately than guesswork on a website. You may find you are more active than you think in which case you could eat more :smile: I have the Fitbit One. Love it! Have used it constantly for 10 months and have found the calorie estimations to be extremely accurate personally.
  • Gee_24
    The Fitbit isn't a HRM, it's an activity monitor. Which, I think, is more what you need. It will work out your actual TDEE more accurately than guesswork on a website. You may find you are more active than you think in which case you could eat more :smile: I have the Fitbit One. Love it! Have used it constantly for 10 months and have found the calorie estimations to be extremely accurate personally.

Thanks!

I was looking it up and my question is: I plan to use this extensively on my holiday. ( Obviously will use at work once I return to see my burn! ) but will it be accurate if Im just lazing about all day?

Even if it can tell me my basic calories before exercise I will be happy to have spent the money. I wouldn't like to find its only useful for active people.
  • I put your stats in scooby and it came out with 1435 to maintain or 1148 to continue losing, are you sure you read the right number? 1435 is definitely manageable!!
  • LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member

Thanks!

I was looking it up and my question is: I plan to use this extensively on my holiday. ( Obviously will use at work once I return to see my burn! ) but will it be accurate if Im just lazing about all day?

Even if it can tell me my basic calories before exercise I will be happy to have spent the money. I wouldn't like to find its only useful for active people.

Sure! I have a Fitbit Zip, and I wear it all day every day. The idea of the Fitbit is that you put your information in when you set it up, and then it calculates your daily calorie burn based on your stats and activity level. So it counts not only the calories from just walking, but also from when you're just sitting around.

I'm pretty active (average over 12000 steps a day), but even on days where I barely do anything (like when I am sick, or in the car all day on a roadtrip), it seems to be really accurate. I don't eat back my exercise calories because I'm on a TDEE-based calorie count, but on days where I'm SUPER active (like 12 mile hike on top of normal activity days), then the FitBit shows how much higher than normal I am, and I will eat back a little extra. I find it useful- and it motivates me to go take the dog for an extra walk if I'm low!
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    One thing that I've found that helps is instead of imagining holidays as time to bum around and be lazy, I try to schedule activities that get me active. You mentioned a pretty cool walk that you can do - maybe try to plan a couple more of those types of activities - it helps keep you fit and makes the time you do spend bumming around even more awesome. :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Here's another easy way to figure it out. Determine your BMR (I came up with 1200 using most online calculators) and multiply by 1.2 to come up with sedentary TDEE. This gives you 1440 calories per day. Once you add in a little activity, you'll probably have more like 1600-1800 calories per day.

No worries! Have fun!