Turbo Fire AND C25K program at same time?

Options
Ok, so I have 3 weeks more of the Turbo Fire schedule till I complete the 90 day thingy. There is a 5K for Wounded Warriors in my local area on 11/02. My fiance, kids and I started the couch to 5K with the goal to actually complete our first 5K (first for all of us) as a family, so this week we started the couch to 5K..

So, my question is, is it NOT safe to do both? Is that TOO much cardio? Should I skip the last 3 weeks of the program because this 5K is a big goal for us and I'd like to complete the 5K goal as a family, its the first time my family has actually WANTED to join me in doing something healthy, so its important to me to reach this goal. :)

If I were to stop the Turbo Fire, would I have to pick back up from day 1? Could I just do the Turbo Fire on the days I'm not jogging?

Just wondering what the safest, best approach is. I'm not fit by any means yet, I've been on this journey for 8 months and have only lost 29 pounds (had a stand-still mid weight loss), so I'm wondering if doing both would be bad because of needing time to heal, however, Turbo Fire has me working out 6 days a week so wondering if that's something I could fudge with.

Thanks so much in advance!!

Replies

• primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I looked at the C25K program, and the first three weeks are relatively low-intensity, alternating walking with jogging for 60 seconds-3 minutes, just three times a week. I think you could definitely try doing both, especially because the last three weeks of TurboFire coincides with the less demanding part of the running program. I would suggest doing one in the morning and the other in the evening to give yourself time to rest in between.
  • mimiteh35
    mimiteh35 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I looked at the C25K program, and the first three weeks are relatively low-intensity, alternating walking with jogging for 60 seconds-3 minutes, just three times a week. I think you could definitely try doing both, especially because the last three weeks of TurboFire coincides with the less demanding part of the running program. I would suggest doing one in the morning and the other in the evening to give yourself time to rest in between.

Thank you so much for your response! :) I appreciate it! I also looked at the TF schedule for the last week, and its a recovery week without a 6 day workout week, so I think you're right! :)

Thanks so much!!
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    No problem! I just bought the Turbofire program as a gift for my sister. Let me know how you like it, I'm super curious about it :-)
  • kendragetshealthy
    Options
    I think you should do both as long as you feel good :)
  • mimiteh35
    Options
    No problem! I just bought the Turbofire program as a gift for my sister. Let me know how you like it, I'm super curious about it :-)

I LOVE it! I did Turbo Jam first and liked it, and Turbo Fire has a lot of the same moves, but more intense. I love love love it! While I didn't have a huge pound loss, I lost INCHES! I have only 3 weeks left out of the 12 week program. I'd totally do it again... after the 5K lol.
  • mimiteh35
    Options
    I think you should do both as long as you feel good :)

Thanks! I will give it a try, though I've started getting a pain in my left hip IT band area after every run, so I may have to wait on both so I have a day to rest my hip before my jog. :/
  • JodiRae79
    Options
    I am currently almost done with week 8 of Turbo Fire and just started week 4 of the C25k program. I also do some walks after TF on days I don't run. Are my legs tired? Yes. Am I sore? You bet. The area that I run has stupid crazy hills so my legs are definitely being worked - but although I go to bed feeling wiped out, I wake up ready to go and rested! I do make sure I include one full rest day and eat the right things to recover quickly.

I think you have to listen to your body and know when it's okay to push beyond the pain and exhaustion or when you need to take a break.

:-)
  • mimiteh35
    Options
    I am currently almost done with week 8 of Turbo Fire and just started week 4 of the C25k program. I also do some walks after TF on days I don't run. Are my legs tired? Yes. Am I sore? You bet. The area that I run has stupid crazy hills so my legs are definitely being worked - but although I go to bed feeling wiped out, I wake up ready to go and rested! I do make sure I include one full rest day and eat the right things to recover quickly.

I think you have to listen to your body and know when it's okay to push beyond the pain and exhaustion or when you need to take a break.

:-)

Thanks! :) We actually have almost halted the C25K because we were doing it as a family and my fiance hurt his knees, but now we came up with a solution, he is going to ride his bike on the days we run so he's doing something besides sitting at home waiting for us, and the kids can still keep going with me on the C25K. I'm not sure what will become of it, he tried it 1 day and he said his knees still hurt, but the bike riding was so much easier on his knees and we don't have hills, just streets with a little incline/decline, but basically flat overall, so he is happy he has something to do and I'm happy we will be starting up regularly again! :)