Resisting Temptation!

Options
Temptation is all around in places I never imagined. I struggled for a long time at resisting, and on some things I still do (sweets mainly chocolate). Looking for some ideas of what some of you do to resist those temptations. Some of the things I do to try to keep me away from them:

Plan and Pack my snacks and lunch for work.
Drink some water and wait a few minutes and see if I am still craving it.
Try to have just a bite if the temptation doesn't go away.
Not have those things laying around the house that are tempting.

Replies

• izzie_loves_2_run
    Options
    I gulp 10-12 oz of water when i am craving foods. its ok to have sweets not all the time how ever. I plan them in my daily calorie intake! so that way ther is no "over consumption". Maybe this will work. Good luck!
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing I do is always have some event planned for the future where I know I'll be able to break bad for a few days. It is easier for me to stay on track (and literally, I haven't eaten an unplanned bite since I started my diet in January) if I'm able to bargain with myself. "Stay the course and when you go on the cruise you can eat what you want for a bit." Then I do!

I don't keep junk food in the house, but junk has never been my problem. I'm more of a carb craver. My diet doesn't change much day to day, but by mid-morning I know exactly what I'm going to eat and I stick to it. When I'm rambling around the house bored, I go upstairs to my room and hole up in there to avoid going into the fridge over and over looking for a snack.
  • Run4Me2Day
    Run4Me2Day Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing I do is always have some event planned for the future where I know I'll be able to break bad for a few days. It is easier for me to stay on track (and literally, I haven't eaten an unplanned bite since I started my diet in January) if I'm able to bargain with myself. "Stay the course and when you go on the cruise you can eat what you want for a bit." Then I do!

I don't keep junk food in the house, but junk has never been my problem. I'm more of a carb craver. My diet doesn't change much day to day, but by mid-morning I know exactly what I'm going to eat and I stick to it. When I'm rambling around the house bored, I go upstairs to my room and hole up in there to avoid going into the fridge over and over looking for a snack.

Great Idea....just stay out of the kitchen!!!
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    do not resist temptation - give in, yet still win!

i am following the atkins plan, although i do not eat mammals, just poultry and fish.

so i am low carb and no added sugars - but i have my daily chocolate fix each night.

i do not think i could be doing this without satisfying my sweet tooth. =^x^=

look here: http://www.atkins.com/Products/Endulge.aspx

imo the caramel nut chew is very much like a snickers. it is my favorite.

i find the peanut butter cups are superior to reese's as they are very creamy and not crumbly.

the chocolate coconut bar is very much like a mounds.

love all of these, except for the nutty fudge brownie - kinda tasted chemical - and i did not care for the mousse bar - too difficult to chew.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I avoid eating or snacking on the couch... if I want to give into temptation I sit at the table and enjoy it... it amazes me how less of something I need and how it checks the craving right away when I eat at the table vs mindlessly eating at the couch.
  • casethedreamer
    Options
    One thing that i do to help me resist treats in the office is to imagine that they fell on the floor... or that someone with grimy hands has touched it... IT WORKS FOR ME!!
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I crave chocolate treats so if I want them badly enough, I have to actually *make* them myself. It gives me time to decide how much I really want it, or if I can do w/o it.
  • AbstractAsterism
    AbstractAsterism Posts: 153 Member
    Options

This this this! There's a restaurant we go to once or twice a year. It's a Brazilian steakhouse called Texas de Brazil. Look it up, it'll make you drool. I keep telling myself that if I have what I want, I can't go crazy at this place. It gets me through!
  • teesfood
    Options
    @ casethedreame LOL I love this idea! Never thought ot that.... Trying that tomorrow at the company BBQ =)
  • fatitalianbroad
    Options
    Great tips, everyone! For me, drinking water helps....also occupying myself with tasks/other things so that I'm not thinking about food.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I do not restrict anything. Learning to maneuver though life is the only way to succeed long term. I just watch portions and how often I enjoy somethings.
  • ckhardeman
    ckhardeman Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I drink water with lemons it helps my craving. I don't eat in the car . Chew gum to help with cravings.

But when mother nature comes I go insane. LOL