Ridiculous attitude toward a 5k

Options
This isn't a question, but probably fits criteria as a "vent." I'm really frustrated with myself. I haven't run 5ks in over a year due to lots of reasons, but have always remained active and purposely workout up to five times a week. In August, my husband and I decided to start doing 5ks through the fall again. I started getting in gear by mid August- running at first only a mile and a half then running 3.5 consistently through Sept. (about 3 times a week). In addition, I would walk three days a week or do a workout video including weights. Anyway...my time is absolutely horrible. I was never a fast runner, but I could finish a 5k in under 30 minutes. I loved them. I was always pleased to be able to just finish the darn thing without feeling wiped out or it taking me more than a half hour to complete. This year.... I totally suck. My time is terrible! I haven't been able to run a 5k course in under 32 minutes. We officially start these races this weekend and I have no interest in even entering. I physically feel like lead - I don't ever remember feeling this way when I've run them before. On top of physically feeling beat...I don't have the mental motivation to do them. I have no physical problems as I've just had a complete physical this year with several rounds of blood work and my diet is boringly healthy - I don't even eat out and have celiac disease which limits most "normal" things anyway. This whole experience has mentally "roughed me up" to where my attitude stinks when it comes to running. I remember how great I felt about being able to run 5ks when I started a few years ago. Now that my time is so crappy...I don't even want to participate. Thanks for allowing me to throw a tantrum :)

Replies

• XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    First of all, you should give yourself credit where credit is due - You are doing it despite yourself, who cares about time, who cares about the competition...Maybe that is what is mentally blocking you. Before you were doing it because you enjoyed it, but maybe now you feel like you *have* to do it. Get past having to do it and find why you liked it before.
    Good luck!
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    maybe u've overtrained & ur body needs a rest... :flowerforyou:
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    oh btw. u're doin AWESOME w/32min. i'm tryin 2 get 2 30min & i'm currently stuck at abt 45min... give urself credit :glasses:
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    okay i'm going to be tough on you and a bit of a *kitten* cause i can't run a full 5K yet and i'm trying very hard to move onto day 3 of week 5 of the c25k program (kinda scared to run a full 2 miles LOL)
    anyway,

JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    who knows maybe the thrill of the "race" will push your a*s to run faster/harder and you will finish in under 30 mins and seriously WHO F**KING CARES if your first race back you finish in 31.30 or 32.07 or even 35.......really???? you should be happy that you are able to even run at all....you should be happy that you are fit enough to be able to do it in any amount of time.....okay POOR ME i can't do it in 30 mins or less attitude needs to stop....you are running for FUN and fitness right????.... you are not running for your life or money or a big prize....sorry if this sounds nasty, i'm partly playing with you but i also feel what i'm saying....so again back to my first point..........get out of your own head and JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! enjoy the race, enjoy being outside, enjoy the time with your husband, ENJOY it.

good luck and let us know how you do and feel after....
  • tdh302
    tdh302 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments and encouragement!
  • tdh302
    tdh302 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Well...I shocked myself. Chip time was 29:35. I have no idea how I pulled this off since I have been running like a snail for the past three weeks. I did throw some interval training in this past week, so that may have helped. Anyway...thanks for the comments and allowing me to vent last week :) I guess slow and steady really can "win" the race as I had enough energy to go a little faster on the last half mile.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    figured the old adrenalin would kick in. kinda like the old fire horse hearing the bell and charging out there. We are all a bit older, and for some it's a bit more work but you can get back into it. Congrats on an under 30!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    congrats on a "successful" finish....
  • thenebean9
    Options
    Well first off - congrats for even getting out there to run! It can be tough to do, so i'll give credit where it's due! :)

A great way to start improving your time and your endurance - when you're out for a run, do some intervals. Start with 4 or 5 30 second intervals in your regular run where you run as fast as you can, or much faster than your normal pace, and then slow it back down. Start increasing your intervals as you get more comfortable with them, and that should help improve your time! Good luck - and keep working on it! You'll get there eventually :)