Wanting your honest feedback!

Options
mrsamanda86
mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
So I've managed to lose about 13 pounds in the past 2-3 months, and I just started my second month of being with a personal trainer(he's AWESOME). I am still yo-yoing a bit with my weight but I lost about 2.3% of my total body fat last month. I'm 4'11 3/4" and weigh currently 154-55 pounds. I lost about 1/2" from my chest, nothing from my waist, and 1" from my hips. I do feel way stronger and my endurance is thru the roof compared to even just a month ago(I did 5 mph for 10 minutes straight the other day, I've never even felt I could attempt that before much less actually try to). I have my diary set to open, I would like everyone's opinions on what I could/should change. When I get honest feedback, for some reason it means more than me just telling myself I should stop doing something. Thank you!

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Confession: I did not actually go through your diary......but:

If you are seeing results and happy with them then don't change anything! Keep it up. 13 lbs is great progress so don't discount that. What do you consider yo-yoing with your weight? I am continually losing and gaining a lb pretty much every other day, its just my natural cycle of things I guess. I also wonder if you are seeing a bit more of that working with your personal trainer (and don't thake that to mean I think you should stop that), they tend to push you in different way in each session so your body is not getting used to a routine. It is great, but it may lead to more water weight from muscle recovery. If you feel a little sore and are a little heavier it just means you worked extra hard, so embrace is as success and don't hate it :)
  • mrsamanda86
    Options
    I usually fluctuate within a 2-3 pound area and then seemingly randomly drop a couple pounds and stay around there for a bit. I know 13 is good, it just stinks because right before my last weigh in I gained like 3 pounds back from where I had gotten down to. My trainer has a Day 1 and Day 2 workout plan for each month so I stay on the same two days of workouts for a whole month before changing to a new set of exercises. Basically it's 10 minutes cardio, four exercises twice, 10 min cardio, four different exercises, last 10 minutes of cardio and then a final different set of exercises. The cardio varies by which day it is(three different things each day, only the elliptical being on both days). This all takes about 75 minutes when I first start out to maybe around an hour once I get it all down. I aim for five days a week but make sure I always get atleast 4 days with no more than one rest day at a time usually.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yeah I lose weight similarly, nothing for a while then a big drop, I think alot of people do that. I still think you should just keep moving foreward the same way; I think you are getting great results, but obviously its up to you what you want to do. The only thing that might help out is lifting if that is not in the routine, not sure what exaclty you meant by "sets of exercises" but I am thinking that is lifting. If you are not; lifting can make alot of visual changes to your body and help with the weightloss too, but make sure you talk to your trainer about learning to do it properly and working that into the plan, no use killing yourself since it sounds like you are working out a pretty good amount already.
  • mrsamanda86
    Options
    Yes, it's all strength training. Loads of core workouts and kettle bell exercises, dumbells and whatnot. I know my diet needs a bit of tweaking but I guess I'll figure it out over time, it's loads better than it was so that's good.
  • Triciad811
    Triciad811 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    how often do you weigh? it might be you are weighing too often and that is why the "yo-yo" is so obvious. I like to weigh everyday (even though I shouldnt) because I am a numbers girl. However I only record my weight once a week and on the same day and time each week that way it is a true weight reflection. I think being girls, tie in hormones and water/bloating..... and boom you have a pound gained one day and two lost the next.

you are doing great. dont be discouraged. be strong and positive on your journey to a better you :)
  • oatsandgoats
    Options
    You need to chill with the processed foods. Do you ever eat any fresh fruits or vegetables? Check your sodium intake out.

You also might want to consider upping your calories, or at least eating all of them. Are you just not filling your diary out completely on some days or do you actually have regular days that are under 1000 calories?
  • mrsamanda86
    Options
    The few days that are way under are the days that I've slacked off and either ate way too much or went out and didn't want to see the total(yeah I know, not awesome to do). I do need to get back to eating more veggies(I've slacked off a bit the last week or two), but I'm not a huge fruit person. I do need to change that as well. I will check out my sodium as well, thanks for your input.
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Swap the sugar count for sodium in your diary. The sugar goal is ludicrous anyway, assuming you do not suffer from any medical condition that requires you to keep a very low sugar intake. Sodium is a nice gauge for how "healthy" you are eating; i.e. fast food and pre-made tinned stuff is very high in sodium usually, Not that it's the end of the world, but it is more useful to track than sugar.
  • mrsamanda86
    Options
    Thanks, I was wondering just how much sugar affects things. I will definitely swap it for the sodium though. I don't have any medical conditions. My sodium level for MF says like 2500, does that seem okay or high?
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Stick with the pre-set sodium goal.

I think you need to be getting more protein though, especially if your trainer is putting you through weight training. It'll help to maintain any muscle you currently have.

This is a great calculator for figuring out where your macros should be at: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Honestly. I did not see one piece of fruit or a vegetable logged in your diary. Your trainer should know better if he knows what you are eating. Try to ditch the processed food and eat plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits and some lean protien (which are a way short of as well) chicken breast, turkey breast, tuna, salmon, and beans to name a few. Also stay away from the simple carbs like bread. That alone would make a huge difference.

Good luck!
  • mrsamanda86
    Options

I think you need to be getting more protein though, especially if your trainer is putting you through weight training. It'll help to maintain any muscle you currently have.

This is a great calculator for figuring out where your macros should be at: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

I will definitely check the calculator out, but when I tried upping my protein last time, by like 40g, I started getting horrible stomach pains, lowered it back down and the pains went away. I CANT go through that again. I guess I'll try to slowly increase it. Like I said about the fruits and veggies, I do usually eat lots of veggies but have been slacking off lately. I will definitely start paying more attention, I don't want to do all the work except for the diet and fail or fall short.
  • mrsamanda86
    Options
    So I'm a bit confused, according to MFP I should eat 1200 calories and whatever I get in exercise that day back... according to IIFYM I should be eating like 1638 every day. That seems like a LOT of food.... It does show that I should be eating way more than I do eat in protein though(which is already more than what MFP recommends).
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

I will definitely check the calculator out, but when I tried upping my protein last time, by like 40g, I started getting horrible stomach pains, lowered it back down and the pains went away. I CANT go through that again. I guess I'll try to slowly increase it. Like I said about the fruits and veggies, I do usually eat lots of veggies but have been slacking off lately. I will definitely start paying more attention, I don't want to do all the work except for the diet and fail or fall short.

Definitely increase slowly, then. Try adding 5g of protein per week to avoid pains.
    So I'm a bit confused, according to MFP I should eat 1200 calories and whatever I get in exercise that day back... according to IIFYM I should be eating like 1638 every day. That seems like a LOT of food.... It does show that I should be eating way more than I do eat in protein though(which is already more than what MFP recommends).

If you follow MFP, definitely eat back exercise calories. I'm guessing you burn anywhere between 200-400 calories in a workout? If that's the case, you'd be up to eating ~1400-1600 calories.

If you follow that calculator, you eat 1638 and DO NOT eat back exercise calories. The TDEE calculation takes your DAILY activity level into account already, whereas MFP does not if you are set to sedentary (which I am assuming you are).

Either method works, you just have to choose which one fits your lifestyle. If you're comfortable with MFP, don't switch to TDEE Calculation; I mainly gave you the calculator to help you figure out your macros. :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would do the following (esp if you are exercising a lot):

Log better (noticed days you started but didn't finish)
    Always eat at least your 1200 goal (if you stay with that )
    Up your protiens...some days you are great and way over the set limit from MFP but protien helps when you are working out

Other then that...if you don't own a kitchen scale get one...helps with accuracy.
  • thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    well first off, the energy drink and carnation are not good breakfast items. I really am not a fan of ensure or carnation or any of those drinks. They're full of gunk and labelled as healthy. There are better ways to get your nutrients. How about a large veggie omelet? 3 egg whites, 1 whole egg, broccoli, pepper, onions, mushrooms, any kind of veggies you'd like, topped with salsa or avocado. Or how about plain greek yogurt topped with fresh strawberries or any fruit, and a little protein powder? Have you thought about protein shakes instead of carnation?

Also, I didn't do that far back of research, but I see taco bell on there and a frozen enchilada meal. How about making those at home? Buy dried beans and save money, salt, and calories. Add any veggies you'd like, get a whole grain tortilla, maybe some avocado, taco seasoning, lean beef if you eat it, maybe some whole grain rice?

Just buy fresh and don't buy processed/frozen foods and you'll be good to go!
  • cep36860
    cep36860 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I glanced through your diary very quickly. First off, what's this NOS stuff you drink/eat for breakfast? I'm not sure that's the best choice. I get that, if you're like me, you wake up rushed and have to hurry out the door. Invest in a big ol' canister of 1 minute oatmeal. Measure 1/2 cup, 1 cup water, and throw it in the microwave. Pop in 2 pieces of your low calorie bread in the toaster. Jump in the shower or go through your morning routine (let the microwave keep beeping at you). Toss the oatmeal in a coffee mug, toss in 2 teaspoons of brown sugar, butter your toast with minimal butter (or jelly) and run for the door. I fill a glass with water to take, too, or water with crystal light in it.

You should be eating every 3 hours. Go to Calorie Count.com and use the free calculators to see how many calories you must burn a day to lose your goal weight. Take that number and divide by 6. You should eat more calories in the morning and 1st snack then at dinner and your night snack. It should gradually decrease. So, my biggest meal is breakfast and it's supposed to go down from there. My goal is 1,900 calories a day. I eat 5 meals a day b/c I don't like eating late at night (6th meal). That gives me 380 calories/meal. I can pull some calories from my 2 snacks and put them towards breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

I'm lazy so I like having an apple and yogurt for one snack every day. You'd be surprised at how filling greek yogurt can be.

Eat more protein! Protein fills you up and helps rebuild your muscles.

Drink 80 oz. of water a day or more. You're going to urinate like crazy the first couple of days but after that your body will get used to it. Drink water with every meal. Make goals for yourself. I have a 24 oz. plastic walmart cup that I fill with water. I drink 4 of them at work. My goals are 10am, 11:30am, 1:30pm, 3:30pm. I have a desk job so I always watch the clock. If I'm slacking, I'll chug it. But I get it in!

Well, those are my tips. Make sure you eat 5-6 meals a day and drink tons of water. Also, muscle burns more calories than cardio. You may burn 300 calories running but the second you're doing running, your calorie burn stops (essentially). You may burn 150 calories lifting weights for that same time period but you keep burning calories long after you've stopped...like when you sleep, watch tv, etc. Make sure you never miss a chance to lift weights!

Congrats on your loss so far and keep it up!!
  • mrsamanda86
    Options
    @kylee- Thanks, I will definitely keep an eye on the macros but I think I'll stick with MFP for the calories, although it does sound like my workout days basically agree with what the IIFYM says.

@Stef- I do need to log better, there are days that I eat like crap or have a horrible dinner and don't want to own up to it. That's not helping me at all. I did order a scale which I'm weirdly excited about, it comes on Friday haha.

@thefewsteps- I have been majorly struggling with giving up energy drinks, I quit smoking and drinking soda about 2-3 months ago and for some reason cannot give them up, I do keep trying though. I mainly drank the carnation as just something to have because I wasn't in the mood for food, but the omelet sounds GREAT. Last time I had lost weight I was eating basically that every morning. The Taco Bell/frozen dinners were just me being lazy. I really sound so lazy, I have become WAY too reclusive and complacent lately. Just another thing to work on :indifferent:

Thanks everyone SO much for your feedback, I will definitely keep trying to improve. Next things for me to work on: logging better, watch sodium, increase protein, GIVE UP NOS, stop being lazy when making food!
  • shell_mc
    shell_mc Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Protein for sure. Try to get it in smaller areas, like nut butter on an apple, or string cheese with deli turkey as a snack, for example.

I'd definitely consider swapping out your current breakfast at least a few days a week. Or try blending protein powder, frozen berries, and unsweetened almond milk. It makes a great, filling smoothie, and has way less processed junk than the Carnation.

Sodium can be a secret saboteur, so watch that for sure. When you eat a lot of processed foods, the sodium count adds up fast.

Good luck! 13 lbs is a great start, and you should be proud of the work you've done so far.
  • wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Honestly, don't lose any more in the chest ;), but 58 Rock said what I was thinking, so...
    Honestly. I did not see one piece of fruit or a vegetable logged in your diary. Your trainer should know better if he knows what you are eating. Try to ditch the processed food and eat plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits and some lean protien (which are a way short of as well) chicken breast, turkey breast, tuna, salmon, and beans to name a few. Also stay away from the simple carbs like bread. That alone would make a huge difference.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.