Flu-like sypmotms after marathon?

Options
Oy! Ever since I ran my marathon on Saturday have felt like I have the flu. am I sick or is this "normal"?

Replies

• riverkit
    riverkit Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that's not normal. Maybe a visit to the doctor is in order. :smile:
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    Make sure you're drinking plenty of fluids, and go see your doctor. There might be something serious happening.
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    it is pretty typical for a few days. rest, drink a lot of fluids, and if it lasts more than a few days go to the doctor
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    Firstly, congratulations on running a marathon!

Having flu-like symptoms for a few days afterwards is fairly normal, particularly if this is your first marathon. The stress your body is put under when doing any endurance type event actually depresses your immune system for a little bit. A friend of mine actually got diarrhoea during his first marathon. :ohwell:

As others have said, make sure you drink plenty of water, eat properly and rest up. If you don't feel better in a couple of days, go see your doc just in case.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    After my 20 miler I felt really craptastic a few days later. I ran the 20 in Sat and by tues I was tired and Wed felt lethargic and weak. I am a vegetarian so am aware that at times I get anemic. I did a tiny bit of research on anemia and distance runners can become anemic and feel pretty flu-y because the pounding from running depletes the iron stores etc. When I felt awful I made sure I took my vitamins (I take a teen formula with iron) and started tracking iron on MFP...saw I was way low for a few weeks leading up to my 20 miler. I ate a ton of iron nd Vit. C rich foods for a good week and felt brand new.
  • vnicoline
    Options
    Hi :)
    I ran my first marathon on Oct 16! After my run I got a bad cold and cough and I am still recovering from my cold...I think it is a normal process for your body to reset after a major physical and emotional event. I remember as a kid I always got sick after my birthdays because I was so excited about them.
    Also my training towards the marathon had big highs and ver low lows, both physically and mentally but I believe it is al part of the game and eventually it all worked out!